BTTF - Ultimate Delorean Cozy Coup

Hi Everyone,

Another update. I've been working on the car and have started to import my mesh from maya to Fusion to start printing the parts.

upload_2019-5-3_21-24-16.png

Looks dirty but its going to print our reaaaaaaal nice.

I've also started working on some of the detail elements. One key one is the Mr Fusion... First I'm going to preface this with **Please don't kill me** lol

I've been desperately trying to gain some time on the build so I "borrowed" existing meshes from other creators. This one comes from Xrobots Massive fan, love your videos, been watching for a very long time. You're one of the people which encouraged me into trying 3D printing for myself so big thank you.

I've found his stp file following some links off his original post here XRobots - BTTF Mr Fusion Build, some parts 3D printed, Finished: Page 2

Imported it to Fusion 360 and built the extra part that was missing from the top.

upload_2019-5-3_21-6-35.png

I'm definitely not building it full 1:1 scale so it wasn't going to be as simple as print and then find the original coffee grinder and stick them together.

I'm sure they'll be more modifications to his original design for it to work 1:4 scale

DBX

This is super cool. I appreciate you sharing the strengths and weaknesses of the 3D modeling programs you're using.
I recently assemble the Dino version of the Cozy Coup for my 1 yr old, and thought it was pretty cool. Your Delorean is going to be next level.

This is super cool. I appreciate you sharing the strengths and weaknesses of the 3D modeling programs you're using.
I recently assemble the Dino version of the Cozy Coup for my 1 yr old, and thought it was pretty cool. Your Delorean is going to be next level.
That’s awesome do you have any pics? Would love to see it!

DBX

That’s awesome do you have any pics? Would love to see it!

DBX
1564492763967.png

I kept trying to get a good picture of the one at my house, but by the time I get home, the sun pouring through the front room window makes phone photography difficult. So, I just here's a picture from the Amazon listing. Sorry for being lame.

My wife and I tag-teamed putting the hexagonal scale stickers on the sides, and when we finished, our spacing and orientation was totally different. Thank goodness for the perceptual limitations of our 3-dimensional reality, so you can only look at one side at a time :lol:

63F24E17-8C52-46D8-8C90-C96F58537D73.jpeg

BD42B167-3252-4703-9120-5677541829DE.jpeg

F9C23D09-0895-455B-81BA-84A0E05AB3F5.jpeg

01965CC4-8497-4787-AE0C-2CAAC4480519.jpeg

Sooooo almost used up all my grey to print the entire front end. Now to put everything together.

Unfortunately it’s a bit of an afterthought since I wanted to print the front end so badly but now I need to figure out how to join and reinforce all the seams. I’m open to suggestions while I test fit this sucker together!

DBX

View attachment 1043322

I kept trying to get a good picture of the one at my house, but by the time I get home, the sun pouring through the front room window makes phone photography difficult. So, I just here's a picture from the Amazon listing. Sorry for being lame.

My wife and I tag-teamed putting the hexagonal scale stickers on the sides, and when we finished, our spacing and orientation was totally different. Thank goodness for the perceptual limitations of our 3-dimensional reality, so you can only look at one side at a time :lol:

Stickers are always the hardest to get absolutely perfect lol.

Hey everyone,

So I've been hard at work printing everything and I'm getting ready to start assembling the different pieces.

d3P8rFJNQ7qCbMTe3JCxjA.jpg

I've been trying to decide what was the best way to stick everything together. The main goal of this thing is going to be to use it as a toy so it will get roughed up a bit.

I've looked around and found this video by Joel the 3D Printing Nerd

AAaaaaaaannnnnnddddd that's why I've orderd some 3D Gloop.

It's going to be my first attempt at bonding some parts together so i'll let you all know how it goes. As it stands at the moment, I have absolutely every part of the front of the car printed and ready for sanding, bonding and paint.

Hopefully the gloop will come in soon.. :|
DBX

Hey Everyone,

Been working on finishing modeling the back half of the car. I've ordered a few parts to add for the rails and such so things are starting to come together.

I'm happy to report that the 3D Gloop is amazing! Totally worth the purchase!

Here's the latest screenshot of the back. I had to take some artistic liberty around the license plate area since I wanted it to be like the real back of the car, but didnt like all the squares due to the proportions I was making the car.

1569374556761.png

I've also re-cut from my scan to my 3D modeled parts to get a better fit between them. Using the auto smoothed object when Fusion converts from Mesh to Object meant that there was a gap between the printed part and the car. I creased the mesh before converting it to the final object to get the cut more precise. Lets see how this pans out! :)

DBX

Hey Everyone,

So the modeling is pretty much done, there's just one detail piece on the roof that I haven't shown yet, but I'm going to skip it since its nothing fancy.

Here's the final model to date. Now I'm printing!
1570575205429.png
1570575051856.png

See you guys in 2 days with the fully printed vents in black

DBX

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,

So modeling is not over lol. While I wait for the back end to print I decided to work on some of the interior elements.

We'll see if anyone spots it..
1570671891611.png

And closer up for good measure.

1570671932342.png

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. This piece I'll be using a lot of practical parts to put together so only what you see will be printed.

Cheers
DBX

Hey Everyone,

So modeling is not over lol. While I wait for the back end to print I decided to work on some of the interior elements.

We'll see if anyone spots it..
View attachment 1067666

And closer up for good measure.

View attachment 1067667

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. This piece I'll be using a lot of practical parts to put together so only what you see will be printed.

Cheers
DBX
Shouldn’t the black Y-shaped handle be facing the opposite direction, towards the front of the car?

Shouldn’t the black Y-shaped handle be facing the opposite direction, towards the front of the car?
Hey thanks for pointing that out! lol

The entire part is modular so flipping it isnt a big deal lol.

1570714896504.png

I will not show my 5 year old self or my 4 year old son this, or they'll both want one!

And this is why I am making it for my kids cause I never had the opportunity to have something this cool when I was growing up. lol

Thanks for the support guys!
DBX

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back