XRobots - BTTF Mr Fusion Build, some parts 3D printed, Finished: Page 2

XRobots

With thanks to these two threads in the Replica Prop Forum, which have many reference pictures and measurements:

BTTF Mr Fusion Krupps Replica
Mr Fusion Base Progress

Using the information available I've started to build the lid part for Mr Fusion using Autodesk123D Design, which is free software. The plan is to 3D print this part, along with it's red latch which I've made slightly more bulky in some areas so the 3D printed part won't snap.

There are pictures of the CAD build up of the lid in some more stages on this page also: XRobots.co.uk - BTTF Mr Fusion

fusion_lid_06.jpg

fusion_lid_07.jpg

fusion_lid_08.jpg

fusion_lid_09.jpg

The black ring part is a placeholder for the main base part. That part may well be made from found items rather than all 3D printed, unless I can find an original 60's Singer computer part which seems unlikely.

The main recognisable part of Mr Fusion is of course the Krups 223A coffee grinder. I've acquired a 223 which is good enough, although I should have a 223A arriving soon. Here's the 223 - the main differences between that and the 223A, as far as I can tell, are the darker logo+line, and the smoked acrylic cup instead of clear (could be wrong). Mine is also missing the lid:

Krups223_01.jpg

More to follow, IN THE FUTURE!!

Last edited:
Re: XRobots - BTTF Mr Fusion Build, some parts 3D printed

Decided to model the base of Mr Fusion today. Having looked in several DIY stores I can't find a bucket that's quite right, so it looks like I might have to 3D print the entire thing - it is huge though, around 12" in diameter at the largest part. More pictures of it all at: XRobots.co.uk - BTTF Mr Fusion

fusion_base_03.jpg

Attachments

• fusion_base_03.jpg
    fusion_base_03.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 292

The main recognisable part of Mr Fusion is of course the Krups 223A coffee grinder. I've acquired a 223 which is good enough, although I should have a 223A arriving soon. Here's the 223 - the main differences between that and the 223A, as far as I can tell, are the darker logo+line, and the smoked acrylic cup instead of clear (could be wrong).

Thanks for these notes. I've been looking at acquiring an original Krups 223/223A but wasn't sure which model was more screen accurate. All of the 223 models I've seen seem to have the smoked plastic parts, which matches your observations, but those look more similar to what we see at the end of BTTF1 and start of BTTF2 to me. So is the 223A the model definitely the one which was used on-screen?

Thanks for these notes. I've been looking at acquiring an original Krups 223/223A but wasn't sure which model was more screen accurate. All of the 223 models I've seen seem to have the smoked plastic parts, which matches your observations, but those look more similar to what we see at the end of BTTF1 and start of BTTF2 to me. So is the 223A the model definitely the one which was used on-screen?

According to this is was, it would certainly seem easier to remove the smaller lighter logo to make it all white but I agree with the observation of the smoked acrylic part - fortunately I can hopefully pick and chose between the two and swap parts over.

Mr. Fusion - Futurepedia - The Back to the Future Wiki

I'm not sure what you are looking for specifically, but a 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot won't work? Just a thought.

EDIT: Just noticed you're from the UK, disregard and carry on.

I'm not sure what you are looking for specifically, but a 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot won't work? Just a thought.

EDIT: Just noticed you're from the UK, disregard and carry on.

I looked at several, but they are either too small or taper too steeply. If I can find something that may well end up being the solution - 3D printing will not be easy either due to it's size.

I looked at several, but they are either too small or taper too steeply. If I can find something that may well end up being the solution - 3D printing will not be easy either due to it's size.

What are the dimensions you need? I'm assuming you need zero/near zero taper?

I found another thread in the RPF with some more pictures, and the facebook album that it links to:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/10-years-later-my-finished-mr-fusion-buildup-197432/

This has lead me to make some changes to the latching section of the base, although I'm aware that the two larger recessed areas on my model are not as deep as the original.

fusion_base_09.jpg

fusion_base_10.jpg

EDIT: decided to sort out the recesses - the latching mechanism fits a lot more snugly now:

fusion_base_11.jpg

Last edited:

I measured what I have and you're right. It's at about 11.5" at the opening and tapers to about 10" at the bottom.

I measured what I have and you're right. It's at about 11.5" at the opening and tapers to about 10" at the bottom.

Thanks for that - yes I went around and measured a lot of buckets before doing the CAD for that. I think some large paint pots have the right taper, but they are too large, plus you'd have to tip all the paint out. It might be possible to scratch a cylinder out of sheet material, but I think I can 3D print it on my home printer in 8 sections in about 20 hours, plus 12 hours for the lid in four sections.

Thanks for that - yes I went around and measured a lot of buckets before doing the CAD for that. I think some large paint pots have the right taper, but they are too large, plus you'd have to tip all the paint out. It might be possible to scratch a cylinder out of sheet material, but I think I can 3D print it on my home printer in 8 sections in about 20 hours, plus 12 hours for the lid in four sections.

Thats a lot of printing. I would likely do it from scratch using Raw materials and then cast it from there.

Your drawing looks good! Dont forget about the latching block where the sheetmetal latch was supposed to lock to. I never got around to printing mine because I kept changing things up so many times. Goodluck!

Your drawing looks good! Dont forget about the latching block where the sheetmetal latch was supposed to lock to. I never got around to printing mine because I kept changing things up so many times. Goodluck!

Is that the extra red part that hinges from the holes in the top corner?. I put the holes there, but in some screen caps from BTTF it appears to be missing, although it's there on some replicas. That said it might be just pressed in/recessed so much you can only see the top from some angles.

I'll probably add it for completeness.

EDIT: how's this?

fusion_base_12.jpg

fusion_base_13.jpg

Last edited:

I started to slice the parts up - the main base will be 16 3D prints. Each 16th takes 2 hours to print, so far I've printed 3/8 of it. It looks pretty messy so far, but I'll clean that up and then I'm planning to coat it with shed roof sealer which is a thick rubberized paint so give it a uniform smoothish finish:

More pictures, links, and downloads at: XRobots.co.uk* - BTTF Mr Fusion Replica Build

print01.jpg

print05.jpg

print06.jpg

I like your idea of doing top and bottom prints to reduce support material. I was planning on doing mine in 4 sections but now I can do it in 8 with your idea to reduce support material! The upper part still is missing a small latch box. And the clip you added is missing a top piece.

I like your idea of doing top and bottom prints to reduce support material. I was planning on doing mine in 4 sections but now I can do it in 8 with your idea to reduce support material! The upper part still is missing a small latch box. And the clip you added is missing a top piece.

Thanks for that - I'm having some trouble working out exactly how the latch piece works. Is it right angled piece that pivots at the corner, which then grips something on the lid when it's depressed?. Do you have a good diagram/reference picture by chance?

EDIT: something like this?:

fusion_base_14.jpg

fusion_base_15.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back