BTTF Nike Air Mag Replicas...my new project

ok, somebody else? this is getting bad here, guys. i have a game to go to!

How old are you man?

Is this your first forum?

You post a question... you have to wait for others to see it.

As far as I know you can NOT get screen accurate AIR-MAG replicas preassembled.

Why do you think people are making their own?

It is kinda bad form to double post... let alone quad and quintuple just because you are in a hurry.

Be patient. You are new here. You need to warm up to the older members. And this is NOT the way to accomplish that.

But I can tell you are passionate and that is a good thing. Hopefully you can get a feel for the flow here and enjoy being a member.

Last edited:
How old are you man?

Is this your first forum?

You post a question... you have to wait for others to see it.

As far as I know you can NOT get screen accurate AIR-MAG replicas preassembled.

Why do you think people are making there own?

It is kinda bad form to double post... let alone quad and quintuple just because you are in a hurry.

Be patient. You are new here. You need to warm up to the older members. And this is NOT the way to accomplish that.

But I can tell you are passionate and that is a good thing. Hopefully you can get a feel for the flow here and enjoy being a member.

Good advice Ken. And of course you CAN NOT get them pre assembled or we would. :p

I don't think you need a soldiering iron for the stap/el sheet although i havn't gotten that far yet due to finances. If you do need 1 they are only like 12 bucks at walmart and quite easy to use. even easy enough for a 13 year old. ;)

ok, somebody else? this is getting bad here, guys. i have a game to go to!

You gotta give us time. We old men are usually at 9-5 jobs during the week, and with family on the weekend. Sometimes we can only hop on for a few minutes once every day or two.

Unfortunately, there is no other way to hook up the EL Sheet without soldering...at least, not safely. If you can't do it yourself, your best bet is to post a WTB thread in the junkyard looking for electronic assembly services. I'm sure there's someone here who'd be willing to do it for a nominal fee.

13, that should be old enough to use a Soldering Iron. I mean it does get hot but if you're a careful/responsible person then I don't see an issue with it. And as Old Ken said, you can't get these "preassembled". At your age I would start messing around with LED's and EL sheets. In no time at all you will be better than some of us oldies.

Great shoes everyone!

I just ordered a pair of these and hope to intsall a backlight behind the nike logo. I'd like the power supply to be as small as possible so they can be worn with the lights on.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I could power an el sheet with a stack of lithium cell batteries?

The el sheet I've seen on ebay says 12vDC, so would 4x3v cells do the trick or am I way off with my thinking?

Any electronics experts know what kind of inverter and batteries would be needed to power both the EL strip and the three LEDs?

Awesome Pitbull... by the way, where did you get the Marty and Doc Framed photo? Did you make the frame yourself? If so, can you post a "how to" thread? thanks

Last edited:
Kurtyboy everything should be explained here unless if I'm not mistaken you want to power both at the same time.I don't think you can power the el strip with the led's.

Here's a tutorial on how to light up your straps on your Markpoon nike air mags:love.

I went with an A5 cuttable blue/green el sheet.What i did was i took the nike decal and put it up against a piece of hard stock paper and traced an outline of it so i can make my cut out on the strap[/I] ::pic below::

img4747cly.jpg

then what i did was take the xacto knife and cut that shape out on my strap now there's 2 layers on the strap just carefully cut the front side of and just peel it should come right off just make sure you don't cut the bottom leather piece cause that's what you will krazy glue the el light piece strip on.Now basically with my shape cut out, I used it to determine the width of my el strip so it would fit right into the strap,::pic Below::

img4745r.jpg

now what you have to do is once you make the cut out on your strap you slice down the left side and right side of the strap with your knife so the el strip can slide through as seen below. ::NOTE:: I covered the remaining el strip with black electrical tape so it would cover any access light coming from the strip.

img4707f.jpg

img4705u.jpg

I went to this website for my stuff they have pretty good prices considering.

Electro Luminescence Inc

Here is the correct el sheet
customA5BG.jpg

Electro Luminescence Inc

and you will need 2 Inverters for small sheet/tape with alligator clips (One for each shoe)
iSS4.5gtr.jpg

Electro Luminescence Inc

Here's Mine takes 4 AAA Batteries and has an on/off switch on the side of inverter........
img4708l.jpg

Well that should do it as i hope this comes in handy for some people :thumbsup

bttf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, power both at the same time from the same power source. Isn't there an inverter that can supply enough power? Might mean doing away with the resistor.

Kurtyboy everything should be explained here unless if I'm not mistaken you want to power both at the same time.I don't think you can power the el strip with the led's.

The thing is you need enough power to actually power the el sheet thats the problem right there.If we can find a way to power the el sheet without an inverter were in business i just don't know how to do that.

Is less power required the smaller the EL strip is? Maybe I should go read up on inverters because by the sounds of it I don't actually know what they do!

The thing is you need enough power to actually power the el sheet thats the problem right there.If we can find a way to power the el sheet without an inverter were in business i just don't know how to do that.

Hi Darkknight0667,

Neat idea but there's absolutely no way anyone can incorporate that self-lacing mechanism into the shoes & yet be able to wear it :(

Yeah, I acknowledged that the way he did it is impractical, but figured that maybe it could spark some ideas with the builders here. The soles of these shoes look pretty thick. Maybe there's a way to hollow them out a bit and hide the mechanics in there? Just throwing stuff out, in case someone finds it helpful.

I have some EL sheet on order which comes with an inverter similar to this one.

Inverter for EL tapes model CI-L3F25 1-6 m (3'-18')

I plan to hook it up to 4 x 3v cell batteries, they're really tiny and should be easily concealed.

The inverter should go behind the tongue and conceal quite well, even with the shoes on.

I wonder if EL sheet can be heated without damaging it? It would be great to use it for the soles, molded to the sides.

To Pitbull: Did you have new swooshes cut for your shoes? They appear to be thicker at the trailing end and look to be more acurate to the screen worn pair.

Last edited:
How do the inverters/EL sheets work exactly in terms of power? If it takes 12V to light up the whole A4 sheet, does it take a lot less to power a piece 1" x 0.5"?

I have some EL sheet on order which comes with an inverter similar to this one.

Inverter for EL tapes model CI-L3F25 1-6 m (3'-18')

I plan to hook it up to 4 x 3v cell batteries, they're really tiny and should be easily concealed.

The inverter should go behind the tongue and conceal quite well, even with the shoes on.

I wonder if EL sheet can be heated without damaging it? It would be great to use it for the soles, molded to the sides.

To Pitbull: Did you have new swooshes cut for your shoes? They appear to be thicker at the trailing end and look to be more acurate to the screen worn pair.

How do the inverters/EL sheets work exactly in terms of power? If it takes 12V to light up the whole A4 sheet, does it take a lot less to power a piece 1" x 0.5"?

As far I can see the inverter is to change the current from DC to AC, so you can't just hook the el sheet up to some batteries.

I believe that it will take less power to give the same level of brightness when comparing a small piece to an entire A4 sheet. But if the inverter you have is 12v then I don't think it will work without supplying the full 12v. To test the brighness at a lower power you would need an inverter with a lower voltage requirement and an appropriate power supply.

I've seen one sites has inverters as low as 3v which are tiny and would power off one coin cell battery. Don't know if that would be enough power though, but if it is, the components would be easily hidden when wearing the shoe.

Inverter for EL tapes model ELI-IMC-3.0 0-0.5 m (0-20 in.)

Booshman do these inverters have on/off switch?.If these small inverters don't shut off then i don't think these are good options....no?.

Also it might be better off doing just straight LED lights instead of the El sheet for the strap,then we can power everything from one on/off switch including the side lights and soles.

As far I can see the inverter is to change the current from DC to AC, so you can't just hook the el sheet up to some batteries.

I believe that it will take less power to give the same level of brightness when comparing a small piece to an entire A4 sheet. But if the inverter you have is 12v then I don't think it will work without supplying the full 12v. To test the brighness at a lower power you would need an inverter with a lower voltage requirement and an appropriate power supply.

I've seen one sites has inverters as low as 3v which are tiny and would power off one coin cell battery. Don't know if that would be enough power though, but if it is, the components would be easily hidden when wearing the shoe.

Inverter for EL tapes model ELI-IMC-3.0 0-0.5 m (0-20 in.)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back