Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

this might the most i've ever wanted a piece in my 31+ years of collecting. I think about this thing at least 3 times a week. Have you seen how many views this thread has? 410k+!!!! Haha!!!! BOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiya, Thank you for your continued interest.
Its been a strange year...
Last August I got a job doing something completely different.. lost wax casting. My Boss has me focussing mostly on the wax part of it which is interesting but there's a lot to learn still.
I had been working on Bob, I've wanted to make Bob with at least the ability to be fully poseable & I want it to be fairly simple to assemble & set up. I've put a lot of thought into how I'm going to achieve this over a long period of time & so I started to get on with it. The job came along but it didn't stop me, it just slowed me down a bit.
Then towards the end of March this year My best friend was hit by a car & killed, Everything stopped! & I haven't picked it back up yet. I used to walk his dog for him every day & had formed a good bond with her over the years I've been walking & looking after her. As my friend lived alone with his dog I was asked by his parents if I would take her & give her a new home. We have two housebound cats who had never met a dog before & the dog had never been introduced to them after seeing what she does to stuffed toys.
After some training & a lot of careful isolation they all get along fairly well now but it's all been a bit of a distraction.
Since we're getting on top of things now I've started to think about Bob again & I'm pretty sure I can carry on from exactly where I left off.
I've also run a test for shrinkage with the lost wax casting... I'm thinking nickel plated bronze teeth ;)
When I get to a point where I can take some good pics I'll do an update but as things are there's no a lot to show.
Thanks again :)

Sorry for your friend! Sad news.
The lost wax casting on the other hand sounds very interesting. I work in a foundry for 3 years now, but mostly in the metal workshop. But I know the trickiness of wax well. Not an easy material to work with. Nickel plated bronze teeth for bob would be wonderful! Even though I would prefer polished stainless steel ones ;).
If you got any questions about lost wax casting, maybe I can help. The shrinkage of the wax is always an issue, unfortunately.

The lost wax casting on the other hand sounds very interesting. I work in a foundry for 3 years now, but mostly in the metal workshop. But I know the trickiness of wax well. Not an easy material to work with. Nickel plated bronze teeth for bob would be wonderful! Even though I would prefer polished stainless steel ones ;).
If you got any questions about lost wax casting, maybe I can help. The shrinkage of the wax is always an issue, unfortunately.
We work with Brass & Bronze only & we plate in copper & nickel. The shrinkage in both the wax & the bronze combined is minimal which is why I ran this test. The teeth you see here wont be used, I'm intending to cast the teeth with no gum, instead the teeth will be connected to a thin metal strip & then cast the gums in plastic around the metal. Doing it this way will save weight & will give a good bonding surface.

1003.jpg

1004.jpg
1002.jpg

:)

Hi Leigh, it would be nice to be able to make a first thin outer layer of rubber, to give it a more realistic, leather-like appearance. Then I don't know if you intend to paint and if it would be paintable. The quality of the gloss and the surface roughness can make a huge difference to the realistic result. I have the impression that the rubber is more suitable for achieving this, but maybe I am wrong. Or a final transparent varnish that has particular characteristics for this purpose, but I don't know which one.

How did you make the main large hose that is on the sides of the head? I think originally, they used a Rolls Royce air intake hose. Im struggling to make it. Thanks :)

Hi, Its Quinflex coolant hose, You'll find it with a Google search. It comes in different sizes. If you have a look through some of my early posts in this thread you'll find some discussion on the size I ended up using. The size is important as the spacing of the ribs in the pipe changes as the diameter changes. HTH :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back