Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Re: Bob the Alien (Giger Alien)

You have created something incredible here. How cool would it be to have this displayed next to the Cameron version!?

smoothing out the skull really made it look a lot better! keep it up!

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

I just couldn't leave it alone :rolleyes I've re-shaped the brow & forehead area again.
124.jpg

125.jpg

I didn't like that vee shaped bit on the forehead, it didn't look right, I'm happier with it now :)

Last edited:

Oh yeah. TBH I hadn't even noticed the vee. That does look better. Leigh, I can't get at my refs at the moment because there's a wall of giant Weta boxes in front of them, lol. Does the original skull still have sutures visible? If so, gonna put them in?

PS d'oh, you answered my book question in your first post, I'm a twit. Have you thought more about the moulds as yet - specifically, are you going to go with the jacket first approach (make a jacket then pour silicone into it), or build up thixotropic silicone in layers then make the jacket around that?

GREAT BUILD!!! Can't wait to see it finished.

Wow...this is awesome, i love it.
I can´t wait to see more.
Congrats :D

Uh, you got this!

Bobby

Thanks guys :)

Oh yeah. TBH I hadn't even noticed the vee. That does look better. Leigh, I can't get at my refs at the moment because there's a wall of giant Weta boxes in front of them, lol. Does the original skull still have sutures visible? If so, gonna put them in?

I cant see any in my refs & I dont want to put them in tbh, I just wanted to get the overall shape to a stage I'm happy with. By the time its painted & the cowling's fitted & painted you wont be able to see much of it anyway. I'm hoping to paint it the same as the original with the veins etc but for the time being I'm done with the skull part, I need to move on to the rest of the head & get the spines done.

I'm pleased with how it looks atm. It still needs some smoothing & texturing, once I've got the spines & the back of the head shaped up I've got to go over the whole thing & then think about sealing it prior to moulding.

:)

PS d'oh, you answered my book question in your first post, I'm a twit. Have you thought more about the moulds as yet - specifically, are you going to go with the jacket first approach (make a jacket then pour silicone into it), or build up thixotropic silicone in layers then make the jacket around that?

I was intending to brush on the silicone then build a jacket in grp, I'm just not sure how many peices I should make the mould into :confused

I've been quietly watching from the sidelines and thought it time to finally put fingers to keyboard and compliment you on the fine work. Every time I pop into this thread to check for progress, I'm impressed with the additional work achieved, bringing it one step closer to greatness. I'll certainly continue to keep a close eye on this as I suspect this could be something special when complete.

Leigh Im guessing a brush on mold would be the best bet on this create a partition down the middle brush on one side and then do a mother mold over it with something like plasti-paste from Smooth-On but I think people have done it with resin and fiberglass but you would want to do it outside and still wear a respirator I'm no pro but the little we know we share with each other. The mods on the skull look fantastic.

Leigh, the more pieces you go with, the fewer the undercuts, the easier the demould and the longer the mould life, as a rough rule of thumb. On the down side, you have more seams to clean up. Is there any ref for the mould of the original? I can't remember. If there is, I'd lean to copying that. Three parts I think you said?

i may have missed the info but i was thinking about getting some of that foam but was told the foil is a pain to get off, is it?

also what do you use to glue it to itself?

nice work so far btw..

-z

I've been quietly watching from the sidelines and thought it time to finally put fingers to keyboard and compliment you on the fine work. Every time I pop into this thread to check for progress, I'm impressed with the additional work achieved, bringing it one step closer to greatness. I'll certainly continue to keep a close eye on this as I suspect this could be something special when complete.

Leigh Im guessing a brush on mold would be the best bet on this create a partition down the middle brush on one side and then do a mother mold over it with something like plasti-paste from Smooth-On but I think people have done it with resin and fiberglass but you would want to do it outside and still wear a respirator I'm no pro but the little we know we share with each other. The mods on the skull look fantastic.

I've been using the filler in doors with the window open :lol yeh it stinks but I'm used to it. Anothe example of how understanding the missus can be :)

Leigh, the more pieces you go with, the fewer the undercuts, the easier the demould and the longer the mould life, as a rough rule of thumb. On the down side, you have more seams to clean up. Is there any ref for the mould of the original? I can't remember. If there is, I'd lean to copying that. Three parts I think you said?

Yep, theres an image in the Giger book of all the suit moulds layed out on the floor, there are 3 parts to the head. Theres also a video clip of them demoulding the original in the lazer disc archive with the DVD set.
Doing it in 3 parts puts the flash lines in the middle of the smooth area's on either side of the top of the head...so nice n easy to clean up :)

i may have missed the info but i was thinking about getting some of that foam but was told the foil is a pain to get off, is it?

also what do you use to glue it to itself?

nice work so far btw..

-z

Depending what make of foam you get, the foil can be a bit of a pain to remove. I bought the cheepest stuff I could get & found it to be OK.
I've been using PVA to glue it together.

I'd also like to say a huge thanks for all the great comments :) its really spurring me on :)

& heres a little update:
127.jpg

I've used car body filler on the sides of the top of the head to give it a hard & smooth finnish & I sprayed some high build acrylic primer over it.
Now I can crack on with the spines & the tubing in that area. Oh & a little blending here n there with the clay :)

Last edited:

thanks for the reply, is the foil easy to peel off or do you need a tool?

also what are these pipes you used here?
10488.jpg

-z

thanks for the reply, is the foil easy to peel off or do you need a tool?

also what are these pipes you used here?
10488.jpg

-z

Fingernails for the foil. the pipe on the side of his head is Flexible rubber radiator water hose used on cars etc theres some on ebay atm in the uk but its expencive at £30 a meter & the shortest length is a meter. The pipe on his neck is only temporary atm (its actually an Austin Mini heater duct pipe), the closest stuff I can find that looks right is clear flexible dust collection hose.
HTH

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back