Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

i 100% agree with all that was said just above... Beautiful work once again ! (I would never have had the guts to re-start the neck at this stage)

Hats off sir !

Fred

I'm continually amazed at the on going mods and improvements you're making along the way. I love your 'I wont settle' because it's already been done attitude towards your sculpt...and it continues to be better and better because of it. Loving your documentation too.

David

508.jpg
This one gave me goosebumps when I saw it. Not only are you capturing the likeness, you are also capturing the menacing essence of the creature. This truly IS a formidable beast. Just look at that grin... bone chilling.

:D Thanks for the great feedback Guy's :)

With the modifications to the neck I also have to redo the underside of the jaw. While I'm at it I'm making the fillet, which will ultimately be made of rubber & removable for access to the jaw hinges.

I've used Fred's (SKIN JOB 66) reference he kindly donated & fitted 17 ribs on the underside of the jaw, there are 22 on the neck.
509.jpg

510.jpg

511.jpg

514.jpg

I've used a similar process to that used on the neck, So I'm just waiting for the air dry clay to harden & I can sand & paint it :)

Last edited:
Good grief, Leigh, you maniac. :lol

I thought I was too numb from the awesomeness by now to muster another 'oh my god', but I was mistaken. Oh my god. :)

Many thanks Guy's :)

Heres the jaw & its gap fillet all in one colour. I have some fine cracks to fill due to the shrinkage of the air dry clay, a bit of sanding & another paint before I consider it done.
I bought some Latex today :D so I'll be having some fun with that at some point too :) I might just knock up some lips n tendons roughly just to see how he looks :D
516.jpg

515.jpg

Last edited:
Oh god man, you're killing me here, lol...stop teasing! It's good, it's as good as done at least, it is cooked, do your surfacing fixes but please don't put off the moulds too much longer. I live in terror of your cat knocking it off the table or something. A mould is insurance. :lol

Oh god man, you're killing me here, lol...stop teasing! It's good, it's as good as done at least, it is cooked, do your surfacing fixes but please don't put off the moulds too much longer. I live in terror of your cat knocking it off the table or something. A mould is insurance. :lol

:lol Yeh, the cats worry me a little too but I do try to give it the best chance. I usually take him appart if I'm not working on him, ie at night etc. The base/chest/neck is all sound as a pound I'd be very supprised if the cats could actually knock it over, they could climb all over it, it can definately take the weight.
The jaw is removed with the head & is mostly resin, if it falls from the top of the sideboard it may loose a tooth but that can easily be glued back on.
The head is the worry! when its stowed its rested on a big foam block & its also supported from under the rear. Its quite stable but it could end up on the floor :(

I would actually like to get the head moulded first but I've been advised to get the practise from moulding the less important parts first, which makes perfect sence to me.

I'm also beginning to think it may be a better idea to cast him in Polyester rather than Polyurethane. As I understand it, Polyester with glass would be stronger & less likely to deform. The problem I'll have with that though is how to lay up fiberglass in a mould with no access once its assembled??? I dont want large flash lines to clean up???

Rotocast urethane resin with expanding urethane foam filling added later would be quite unlikely to deform and a lot less hassle. You don't have to waste cans of the expensive hardware store spray-bomb kind, I know you have a decent supplier so maybe ask them about the stuff. I used to get it in 1-litre tins, there should also be bigger kits available.

That said, fibreglass would certainly be very strong. There is an art to it, though. You first lay up a layer of gelcoat, then several layers of glass matting and resin, letting each cure thoroughly before the next.

You'll hate the stench. Your wife will hate the stench. Your neighbours will hate the stench. You will be unpopular with the whole street. :lol

It will also take a lot longer for each casting. And then you demould...and find that there are weird frizzy stocking-run lines all through the gelcoat, and voids and gaps and holes that need to be puttied, and delaminations.

Fibreglass is a *****! :lol

if your castings match your sculpting ability, this thing is going to be legendary

I really hope your right :confused Thanks :)

Rotocast urethane resin with expanding urethane foam filling added later would be quite unlikely to deform and a lot less hassle. You don't have to waste cans of the expensive hardware store spray-bomb kind, I know you have a decent supplier so maybe ask them about the stuff. I used to get it in 1-litre tins, there should also be bigger kits available.

That said, fibreglass would certainly be very strong. There is an art to it, though. You first lay up a layer of gelcoat, then several layers of glass matting and resin, letting each cure thoroughly before the next.

You'll hate the stench. Your wife will hate the stench. Your neighbours will hate the stench. You will be unpopular with the whole street. :lol

It will also take a lot longer for each casting. And then you demould...and find that there are weird frizzy stocking-run lines all through the gelcoat, and voids and gaps and holes that need to be puttied, and delaminations.

Fibreglass is a *****! :lol

OK back to Urethane it is then! :lol Thanks :)

Can't you use the same silicon mould for both urethane and fiberglass casting? Might be fun to experiment. He might end up being a miraculous fiberglass prodigy as well. :)

Nick

I really hope your right :confused Thanks :)

OK back to Urethane it is then! :lol Thanks :)

Of course...urethane rotocasting can be a ***** too, just in different ways. :lol

It does have the virtue of being a lot faster, at least. :)

I think I'm gonna smash my current casting with a hammer. lol! It has that stupid dip in the dome like all the rest. I get all emotional every time I see this literally organic sculpt. The only other thing that I think will bring tears to my eyes is the exchange rate when this puppy goes up in the JY! :lol

I think I'm gonna smash my current casting with a hammer. lol! It has that stupid dip in the dome like all the rest. I get all emotional every time I see this literally organic sculpt. The only other thing that I think will bring tears to my eyes is the exchange rate when this puppy goes up in the JY! :lol
Would be interesting if Leigh's dome could be used on the cast from original pieces as well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back