Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

I have absolutely no room for something like this... but man that's lovely and I'd love to own a copy... man... that's good work... and really like the texture in those "bare" areas on the back.

Smooth, smooth perfection.

Oh man, more pics already!! Wow.

I have absolutely no room for something like this... but man that's lovely

I'm in the same boat. If Leigh can get good casts I'm so in for one but my whole house is about 33 feet long. I'll literally have to build an extension. Heck, I want to do that anyway...I will need somewhere to put my Cygnus, that thing's gonna be seven feet long. :lol

Every update is a masterpiece.

QFT! I am loving the back texture. That looks fine, Leigh. I can understand the temptation to do some creative biomeching, and if you did it would be pure gold - I bet a few votes would change. However I think I'd have to vote for restraint myself; a basic generic texture seems classier somehow.

Last edited:
Thank you guy's :)

A bit of an update: I had to re-scim the whole fin with filler as I wasn't happy with the surface finish & I've started to blend the base of the fin into the back with the clay. I've also made proper fixing holes for the tubes & all the filler is smooth enough to have a nice coat of primer :)
I've got to make the bones for the underside of the fin, looks like I'll be sculpting them in Milliput upto the join & then in clay below the join.

439.jpg

440.jpg

443.jpg

I'm thinking about what sort of finish to use on the inside back of the upper body :confused
I'm thinking maybe a rough finish like a rough sculpted finish, all the sculpting marks left in but in a tidy fashion :confused
Or maybe add some extra tubes n stuff & detail it up a bit :confused
Whats peoples thoughs on this :)

Its weird isn't it, that until you see all of these pipes and where they go, that you realise what a bizare creature it is. We can only bow in acknowledgement of the inspired genius of a twisted soul - GIGER.

And as for your work Leigh, it is outstanding and mesmorizing in equal amounts. I cannot wait to see the mouth with applied condoms ( always practice safe aliens ) and of couse a lick of paint. You are an artist. :thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback & the kind words folks :)

I'm being a bit cheeky here but I'm after a bit more feedback :$
447.jpg

446.jpg

448.jpg

Ignore the texture for now as its just a worked finish with alot more work to do :)

I'm after feedback on the spines down the center of the back, the area where the shoulder meets the bottom of the pauldron & any other overall shape issues that may be in that general area.

At this stage there are lots of possible options for this area, everything can be considered :)

Last edited:
Looks great,the bottom from practical standpoint the bottom may need to have a metal support down in there for support on the castings. Nice flow to the sculpture and base. You may need some professional help for the mold, I
would hate to see any mistakes durring that process. Great work on the sculpture.

Honestly, I think you can easily continue the spine down the ribbed hose base connector, making them smaller as they go down, but basically keeping them longer further up.

But seeing how it looks in my crappy photo shop illustration I must admit I prefer your current design.

447copy.jpg

Looks great,the bottom from practical standpoint the bottom may need to have a metal support down in there for support on the castings. Nice flow to the sculpture and base. You may need some professional help for the mold, I
would hate to see any mistakes durring that process. Great work on the sculpture.

Thank you :)
I had considered some steel reiforcement in the fragile looking area's but that'll add a fair bit of weight. My current plan is to make up a GRP tube, 2-3 layers thick & then bond that into the casting & use a Thick GRP plate to reiforce the base at the area where the body locates into it.
I'm intending to cast the whole thing in urethane btw.

Yeah, I could probably use a bit of hands on help with the moulds as I am very new to that side of it. I've done my homework, asked lots & read lots etc. Hopefully I have enough of an understanding of it all now to pull it off :)
I'm still planning to make the moulds in silicone using the brush on method :)

Honestly, I think you can easily continue the spine down the ribbed hose base connector, making them smaller as they go down, but basically keeping them longer further up.

But seeing how it looks in my crappy photo shop illustration I must admit I prefer your current design.

Theres nothing wrong with your illustration, I can see exactly what you mean & I think its a nice idea :) I dont know if it'll work with the ribbed area at the bottom :confused I can give it a go though

Hadn't checked on this in a while Leigh, but just seeing your most recent pics gave me a flashback to some roughly carved insulation foam and a someone claiming they "had little to no sculpting experience".......

Excellent as always, but you should be used to people telling you that by now!

Hadn't checked on this in a while Leigh, but just seeing your most recent pics gave me a flashback to some roughly carved insulation foam and a someone claiming they "had little to no sculpting experience".......

Excellent as always, but you should be used to people telling you that by now!

Thank you :) It seems like such a long time ago :lol
I've learned alot in the last year but I've still got alot to learn :)

I think you can easily continue the spine down the ribbed hose base connector

449.jpg

It looks good...but...a little busy maybe :confused a little too much Aliens rather than ALIEN maybe, I'm not sure atm:confused
I need to look at it some more I think :)

Last edited:
Is it wrong that I get excited when I see updates for this thread?

I like the addition of the spines, I think it helps the piece flow better into the base. Maybe once is assembled and painted you will will almost lose sight of certain details as its becomes a whole piece.

Had another thought as I felt there was a sort of break, a disconnect between the fin and the upper back, so I attempted this to see what it would look like to make the transition from the ribbed hose spine base connector, up the back and out the fin a more smooth one, in terms of flowing into each other better.

You can even do the full circle look as well and not have the pull-out S-curve at the back, as in the original and the attempt below.

449.png

Please ignore my latest photoshop attempt. It was just a test to see how it looked, but when comparing to the original look it just ended up looking weak, whereas the original looks strong with that arched back. Your design is better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back