Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Thank you for the kind words folks :)

Clutch, I dont think they'd let me in :lol

I've been busy, I wasnt 100% happy with the rear end underside.
So I pulled it appart & rebuilt it :)
It was mostly the two pipes that run from the pumps either side, underneath to the back, they needed lowering & the area's either side of the pipes needed reshaping.
Hopefully you can see the difference here:

Before 383.jpg

After
398.jpg

399.jpg

I've also been reshaping, smoothing & texturing some other area's:
401.jpg

400.jpg

& lastly, your thoughts on the wrinkles? I quite like them but I'm not sure they need to be there & do they look ok sculpture wise??
404.jpg

Last edited:
That is so freaking perfect. If Giger had had the time needed, he would have tried to make the details as perfect as you have Leigh. :)

Wow, that's coming along really well Leigh. IMHO I think the wrinkles add to the realism. You've achieved such a good effect with the texturing it blows me away.

Also pro-wrinkles. It is what would have been done back then if it hadn't been the dawn of animatronics, and *would* be done now, and nothing will ever make this the ACTUAL filming prop...so why not improve on it? Am blown away yet again...

Projects like these are what keep me making the things i do. Simply amazing. I totally understand how a just for fun project can turn into something extreme and to bumb it up a couple levels. If your anything like me then some days you love it and some days you want to drop kick it across the room :lol You should be very proud of your work. you are an artist.

Just don't go ape-sh#t on the wrinkles. ;) A fine line it is between faithful rendition and stylized interpretation.

Many thanks for the kind words & support :)

That is so freaking perfect. If Giger had had the time needed, he would have tried to make the details as perfect as you have Leigh. :)

Thanks Dave :)

That thing needs to be cast in bronze and put in the Giger museum!

OOh now theres a thought....bronze...hmm, something to look into at a later date prehaps :)

Also pro-wrinkles. It is what would have been done back then if it hadn't been the dawn of animatronics, and *would* be done now, and nothing will ever make this the ACTUAL filming prop...so why not improve on it? Am blown away yet again...

Thanks Martyn :)

Projects like these are what keep me making the things i do. Simply amazing. I totally understand how a just for fun project can turn into something extreme and to bumb it up a couple levels. If your anything like me then some days you love it and some days you want to drop kick it across the room :lol You should be very proud of your work. you are an artist.

I'm thinking more along the lines of grab it by the end & swing it against the wall :lol It has crossed my mind a couple of times :wacko
I dont know about "Artist" I feel like I need some sort of qualification before I get to be an Artist :)

Just don't go ape-sh#t on the wrinkles. ;) A fine line it is between faithful rendition and stylized interpretation.

I'm not going mad on the wrinkles, they're only going on the neck (as in the pic) as that would be the only part of the head area that moves & so in theory may have wrinkles form in his skin. They're no bigger than the sort of wrinkles you'd get in your thumb, so hopefully not too OTT :)

I've been busy the last couple of days. I'm pretty much done with the texturing, I've used caulking on the small convoluted pipes the run the length of his head in an effort to reduce the depth of the detail a bit. This will hopefully reduce the potential bubbles forming in the casting without loosing detail. Basicly I've just got to sort out the spines on the top of his head & then I'm going to give the whole thing a coat of that grey enamel. It sticks quite well to the clay & it will give the whole thing a uniform finish. Once its all grey, its ready for moulding, well the head is :D
I'll post some detailed pics once it grey :)

Heres a couple of better pic's of the wrinkles, this is as far I've gone with them & there only in this area both sides:
405.jpg

406.jpg

I think they're quite subtle really & by the time theres a couple of layers of paint on it all they will hopefully just notice on a close inspection :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back