Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Very nice! :thumbsup Yours has poseable lips & jaw :cool
Yours is a sculpt, mine was a costume. I had a ton of fun with it though. Walked up to many a persons from behind and brought the face right over their shoulder until they turned to see what it was.
You wanna see people jump out their skin! Haha. (Almost got hit a couple times).
Your attention to detail is indeed remarkable.
Also, I did more of a Aliens version rather than the original version you are doing.
Like most here following your project I truly wait in great anticipation to see the finished work.

This build is amazingly awesome. I've been away from the thread for a while, but I'm happy I checked back in. Outstanding work!

The way I understand it there were a few heads made, 6 in total I believe & all were based on Giger's original sculpt. In the book Gigers Alien he suggests that one of the castings of the original sculpt was sent to Rambaldi to be mechanised, Rambaldi then set about recasting the head, chopping lots off of it & reinforcing it in various area's. If you look at the pic's of Rambaldi working on the head you can see the head looks nothing like the original. In an effort to bring the head back to how it was originaly sculpted, latex rubber castings were made & glued onto Rambaldi's modified, mechanised head. As a result the rubber peices didnt fit quite like the original & there are many differences in these two versions. Some of the more obviouse differences are the eye sockets, the cheeks & the jaw sides. The lip & tendon arrangements are completely different aswell & that seems to be due to the mechanisation of the Rambaldi head. I guess Rambaldi felt he couldn't get the mechanisms he intended to create to work with solid jaw sides at the time.

this, ironically, was about half of the information i set out to find when i stumbled across your thread. i couldn't figure out from giger's alien how exactly the head went from sculpture to finished product on the screen. i knew that rambaldi received a casting to work, but i wasn't quite sure at what stage. the picture of him working on it, it looks he got a cast of it before giger did anything more than bolt the skull to the jai-alai racquet or whatever that thing is, and then he cut it up from there.

giger's jaw seems to have started as an extension of something basically like a human jawbone. it has the coronoid process, and is hollow behind it. i suspect that the casting was sent to rambaldi at this point, because you can see that coronoid process in the above photo of the rambaldi head. giger them seems to have sculpted over that something much like your solid jaw. i guess when the stretched the latex casting over his animated heads, it didn't fit right, so they just covered the whole section up with condoms or whatever.

this is just guess work on my part, but it's the best idea i can put together of how the animated rambaldi heads came together.

With regard to the tubes comming off the rear corners of the bottom jaw I used the HGC & Sano sculpts as reference to where they actually stop. From what I've found, it would seem the Sano bust is actually wrong in this area & the HGC version is accurate. My findings are based on trying to follow where the tubes end by closely scrutinising other original images & that HGC claim that their suit is taken from original moulds which I believe, though I dont feel that way about their head.

i'm really starting to think this was something they half-assed, and it wouldn't be in the molds. someone mentioned earlier in the thread that the wires for the animated rambaldi heads ran through those tubes, which would explain why they're loose. looking over giger's alien again, there's another shot where a tube seems to have come out. i can't find any good pictures of the back including this area, though. how they're supposed to attach on the giger head, though, i'm not sure. here's my best guess:

L3XPE.jpg

It would seem the tubes were permanently fitted to the jaw & slotted into the suit making it easy to remove the head.

almost certainly. there appears to be a break in the tube right around the shoulder, too. you can see in the current picture of the costume i posted above that everything behind that point is missing (which is probably why they faked it into the head). i sort of suspect that it's supposed to join in somewhere under the piece that attaches for the "fin" (sort of like the sano model) and continue one of the rib tubes.

All these differences in the original mean making a bust that can be displyed & scrutinised closely is a difficult task. What I'm aiming to achieve is a bust that captures the essence & overall look of the creature from the first film by trying to incorporate all of the distinguishing features, in the process I'm left having to use a little artistic licence. Unfortunatly I can only capture the features as I see them, others may pick up on different features as more prominent.

and i think you're doing an excellent job. i've been an alien fan for years, reading the comics and drawing them when i was bored in class, and this is all stuff i've never noticed before. what (little) artistic license you're taking seems to be for the better. i'm quite impressed with how accurate you've gotten it, considering that the originals weren't even consistent. it's substantially better than most of the professionally-done replicas i've seen.

Last edited:
Thank you for that post. I knew there was something bugging me about the jaws. I've always drew the jaw as being very open on the sides with just the tendons stretched across the spaces. However, we have Leigh's accurate sculpt that has the jaw mainly filled in. I have been wondering what it will look like with condoms stretched across the 'solid' jaws...

i think subtlety will probably be the name of the game there. where the rambaldi heads seemed to be kind of thick in it, a single layer or two will probably suffice with the detailed solid jaw. what's strange about leigh's model is that it's got solid jaws that open. as far as i'm aware, only the rambaldi ones opened, and they were all thick in condoms with hollow jaws.

i'm wondering how a lot of the transparent aspects are going to come together. like where the dome meets the solid portion at the back of the head.

Another little update:

He now has a detachable upper gum & teeth :)
Sorry things have been a bit slow lately, lots of distractions.

Some pic's:
375.jpg

378.jpg

I resulpted his front teeth & the gum, I'm much happier with them now :)

Last edited:
Mind if I post this on the Aliens Legacy? Think they would get a real kick out of this.

Also, ever considered taking the finished products to shows as a display piece?

i think subtlety will probably be the name of the game there. where the rambaldi heads seemed to be kind of thick in it, a single layer or two will probably suffice with the detailed solid jaw.

Assuming Leigh can get good pulls and sell a few - a trick in itself but he shows no lack of resourcefulness, so I'm pretty confident - and assuming I'm in line, which I will be even if I have to hurt people with knives for the privilege - then 'mine' is going to have a few sliced up condom pieces laid as close to the solid jaw sculpt as possible while still being visibly separate from it.

Having them spaced too far away from the solid jaw would make them seem too much a separate thing. It'd feel wrong, like, um, like wot? Like a biplane Spitfire or something. :lol

I resulpted his front teeth & the gum, I'm much happier with them now :)

Every time you do this I think "wait, what? Surely that wasn't necessary!".

Then I think "but look how much better it looks!"

How is that even possible? :lol

Mind if I post this on the Aliens Legacy? Think they would get a real kick out of this.

Also, ever considered taking the finished products to shows as a display piece?
I cant stop you linking it to AL & I cant see it doing any harm, So yeh why not :)

As far as show's goes I've been asked if I'd bring him along to the next RPF show at the NEC in November, which I'd very much like to attend :)

Assuming Leigh can get good pulls and sell a few - a trick in itself but he shows no lack of resourcefulness, so I'm pretty confident - and assuming I'm in line, which I will be even if I have to hurt people with knives for the privilege - then 'mine' is going to have a few sliced up condom pieces laid as close to the solid jaw sculpt as possible while still being visibly separate from it.

Having them spaced too far away from the solid jaw would make them seem too much a separate thing. It'd feel wrong, like, um, like wot? Like a biplane Spitfire or something. :lol

:lol Thanks Martyn :)
I'm hoping you wont need to use condoms! I'm hoping to sculpt something good enough that you wont need them :) I'm also beginning to just accept that Latex might just be the right choice for making them aswell. As far as in line goes, you'd be one of the first :)

Last edited:
Rock on. So are you thinking casting in clear? Like the Sideshow Alien bust (for the tendons)? If so, that would be full of awesome sauce.

Rock on. So are you thinking casting in clear? Like the Sideshow Alien bust (for the tendons)? If so, that would be full of awesome sauce.

Pretty much, my current line of thought is raw cast Latex, once glued on can be blended with paint where it attaches.

I'm thinking of doing two sets of lips n tendons: one in the mouth closed/lips closed position, this can be wired for mechanising him & can be used to display him at rest & one in the mouth closed/lips open position, this should work for both mouth open or mouth closed for display only.

Last edited:

i don't get it either. it started off so perfect, and it just keeps getting more perfect.

:lol Thanks Martyn :)
I'm hoping you wont need to use condoms! I'm hoping to sculpt something good enough that you wont need them :) I'm also beginning to just accept that Latex might just be the right choise for making them aswell. As far as in line goes, you'll be one of the first :)

i'm really curious to see how you do all the translucent aspects. keep up the good work.

*Grabs the popcorn*

Dont get too comfy :lol Theres nothing particularly exciting happening right now.
I'm focusing on getting the head, jaw, gum & tongue ready for moulding, so basicly just going round everything & tidying stuff up, texturing etc & I'm not rushing it either :)

Oh, I don't expect you to rush things just for little old me XD Infact, take all the time you need, it'll give me the perfect excuse to sit here and binge on the popcorn!

Looking super sweet bro!

Thank you Sean :)

This is really going slow at the moment :( the materials I'm using have long drying times.

I'm still trying to get the hard area's sorted ready for moulding.

Oh & I painted the pump! I was fed up looking at that orange :lol
380.jpg

379.jpg

:)

Last edited:
I have a tendency to follow only a couple threads at a time and as a result I seem to miss some great builds. I stumble upon them and end up spending hours getting caught up. This thread has given me several hours of enjoyment over the last couple days. Leigh, your instincts have been spot on and your eye for detail is amazing. A lot of artists wouldn't invite the amout of input you have sought out here, and your work is unrivaled as a result. I look forward to seeing you continue to work on this.

-Ray

Many thanks for the kind words :)

I'm still working on the hard bits of his head in an effort to get the head ready for moulding, Heres the latest:

Got one side of his head done :) When I've got the rest of the head to this stage I'll give it all (the hard area's) a light rub down & a final single coat of paint:
385.jpg

384.jpg

383.jpg

Also does anybody know if it'll be ok to paint the clay (oil based) with Humbrol satin enamel while I'm at it?? will it work ok with a brush-on mould?? or am I likely to cause myself problems:confused

Things have been taking a while bacause of the slow drying materials I've been using & a few distractions but I have to live with those :)

I've been using the Das type air-dry clay I have to build out more shape into the top sides of his head, The white stuff here:
388.jpg

Its not ideal but I have it, its cheap & its very easy to sand :D
It works quite well as a filler type material its just the drying time.
Once thats on, dry & sanded it needs to be sealed to get it properly smooth, I've been seeling it with Humrol matt enamel.
The clay soaks the paint up like a sponge & being a matt finish it drys quite quickly, so that gets another good sanding & then onto green putty :)
7.jpg

I picked this stuff up yesterday & I love it! :)
I feel very familiar with this stuff, its vertually the same as the stuff I used to use on cars when I was a painter other than the stuff I used to use was in a bigger tube & made by 3M :) Has a nice pong too :D

I apply this stuff with a rubber spreader & build it up in layers where needed. Finish it with 240 grit & paint it :) its speeded things back up so I'm happy again :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back