Bob the Alien (Giger inspired Alien)

Leigh I like the sound of your approach on the lips and tendons. Really interesting way to go, could really pay off.

I have been tied up with work stuff the last couple of nights, and again tomorrow, but I will try and find my digicam to charge it up and grab some shots of my chestburster soon. It's the original one with the little pods instead of arms - never liked the Aliens version, that took it in a less weird direction.

It reads perfect and I think it's great that you are making this your own! It has come along great and I can't wait to see it continue!

Great job!

Thank you :)

Sounds good!

Yeh I just hope It looks good :)

Considering all the time and details you have put into this great build, I was wondering when you get to the tendons and lips are going to articulate that whole area, jaw included, or keep the jaw slightly open to expose the "tongue"?

I'm building this with the intention of being able to articulate it if desired. The jaw & its mounts are being made so it hinges, the tendons will hold it closed. I'm actually thinking about incorperating a removable ratchet into the hinges of the jaw so it could also be posed if you get me :)

Cheers :)

She is definitely correct. I looked through my Alien art books and making of's, but the problem I see with using latex is the fact that after a while, latex tends to get brittle and rot.
My suggestion is to get a mica board and thinly spread clear silicone using a brush to shape it. Once you get the desired shape, let it dry, peel it off the mica and trim if necessary. If it works to your satisfaction, you should be able to mold it with no problems at all.

I'm hoping to steer clear of latex for the very reasons you mention.
I've been thinking along the lines of a silicone rubber I just dont want to have to use a different paint on the tendons to the rest of it for consistency reasons. Thanks for the tip :)

Leigh I like the sound of your approach on the lips and tendons. Really interesting way to go, could really pay off.

I have been tied up with work stuff the last couple of nights, and again tomorrow, but I will try and find my digicam to charge it up and grab some shots of my chestburster soon. It's the original one with the little pods instead of arms - never liked the Aliens version, that took it in a less weird direction.

Cool :thumbsup I look forward to seeing them :)

Re-shaped his nose again :rolleyes :)
195.jpg

196.jpg

& I've been smoothing off all the unseen stuff at the back of his mouth so it can be moulded easily.

The new pipe for the sides hasn't shown up yet :rolleyes when it does I can crack on with replacing them & then re-working everything around them :)

Last edited:
Well, the pipe has finally turned up so I'll be cracking on with swapping those over soon.

I started work on the tongue the other day, heres a little list of things I used to build the tongue so far:

Vacuum cleaner hose glued round an aluminium tube, car loom trunking glued underneath, 4x power cable glued either side & its all blended together with builders caulking. The front part is a wip atm & is being made from car body filler:
200.jpg

199.jpg

I've got some carving & sanding to do on the tongue this afternoon, I'll update that later.

Heres the pipe, cut to length, trimmed & ready to go:
201.jpg

Last edited:
Carving & sanding done for now, just got to knock up some hinges & some teeth:
202.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks you for the kind words :)

A couple more pics with a splash of paint:

210.jpg

213.jpg

I'm happy with the tongue for now.

I've started surgery on the sides of his head:
208.jpg

As you can see......big gaping hole in the side of his head.
I've started to fit the new pipe in this side already & while its appart I'm changing the position of it.
Its a very disruptive job & I'll have alot to change arround the pipe aswell, the whole back end needs a bit of a re-think :confused

Last edited:
Oh man, that´s so brave to make such huge reassembly and major changes. But that´s true craftsmanship. All for the greater good. Rock on!!

How much would it cost me for you to mould and sell the parts for one of those tongues???? That is absolutely perfect!!!!!!!!!

What he said ^^. Might make a good replacement for my skull casting if the size is right.

:D Thanks guy's :) I do intend to mould & cast it anyway along with the rest of the head.

My plan atm is to fill the gaps in the hinges with non setting clay, mould it, then remove the clay & about 1mm off the carved areas to make it smaller & mould it again. I'll then have two moulds for it.

Then I can make a hard resin cast with the maller mould & hinge the wee jaws, make a soft rubber cast with the larger mould & slip the rubber cast over the resin cast so that it still hinges but you cant see the gaps if you get me.

I could also make the whole thing in just resin & leave it up to you guys to fill the gaps???

I dont have any silicone atm so I cant really do anything untill the new year.

Since I assume you two own a head already I might pester you for some measurements :)

I absolutely love the Alien universe and designs, this project is one of the best I've seen on the forums! I also can't help but giggle like a schoolgirl every time you write 'wee jaws', it makes the alien sound oddly cute, as does the name Bob XD

The reshaping of the back end is going to be so worth it when it's done! Keep up the great work!

list of things I used to build the tongue so far:

Vacuum cleaner hose glued round an aluminium tube, car loom trunking glued underneath, 4x power cable glued either side & its all blended together with builders caulking.
200.jpg
Hi Leigh,
Your build is outstanding! And I love that tongue. I thought it'd make a nice "souvenier" by itself in a display, and not "too" challenging for me.
But we seem to be divided by a common language. Could you define "car loom trunking" so that even a 'Yank' could understand?:lol
Or did you happen to take a pic of the tongue shaft 'before' the caulk went on? That might simplify things for me.
Keep at it man! You got skills!!
Cheers, Jeff

Hi Leigh,
Your build is outstanding! And I love that tongue. I thought it'd make a nice "souvenier" by itself in a display, and not "too" challenging for me.
But we seem to be divided by a common language. Could you define "car loom trunking" so that even a 'Yank' could understand?:lol
Or did you happen to take a pic of the tongue shaft 'before' the caulk went on? That might simplify things for me.
Keep at it man! You got skills!!
Cheers, Jeff

Car wiring loom trunking or split convoluted pipe. Its used to cover the wiring on cars, you can often see it under the hood on cars like Honda's.
You can buy it very cheaply online in various sizes.

The tongue's components were all glued together with superglue (cyanoacrylate) & the gaps were filled with the caulking. The caulking was applied with a gun then worked into all the gaps with a finger & the excess was washed away with a sponge & water to leave the white bits you can see in the pic, then left to dry overnight.

Heres another pic looking at it from the other end. Here you can see the construction clearly, the white area's are the caulking:
214.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back