Limited Run BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - NOW SELLING

Here it is after the first coat of wax. I ironed the whole thing first, then lint rolled it, and used a little over half a large bar of Otter Wax. Then I placed the iron on the "Nylon" setting and re-ironed over the wax to melt it in the the fabric without burning it on the coat. Finally I very quickly used a hair dryer to heat up the seems and creases I couldn't reach with the iron, because I wanted to take a break for lunch. I'm about to hit it with one more coat of wax and do a better job of hair dryer cleanup before letting it rest for a day or so.

1st coat of wax.jpeg

Video on changing the fur color. This is a pretty good resource for any fur, actually, not just for this project. This works really well and holds up to being run through the wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzrV0sq8WD8

The effect is more visible in real life, this was filmed on my phone and doesn't quite catch the color change.

The exact same practice would work great with other furs. If you have an exact color you're going for (starting from a light or neutral shade) you could get just about whatever you want, these inks come in dozens of colors.

Did you ever check to see how much alcohol was in the bottle? You said in the video that you were going to mention the amount later in a note but I couldn't find it. I'm just trying to get the ratio right.

Did you ever check to see how much alcohol was in the bottle? You said in the video that you were going to mention the amount later in a note but I couldn't find it. I'm just trying to get the ratio right.

I put it in the video description, they hold 5 oz, or 150 ml.

from my experience just using the little piece that zlurpo included, those white streaks of left over wax can be melted by hitting it with the heater or hair dryer. just need to be patient when warming it. i haven't tried at all with using an iron, i think ONRX cautioned against that but dunno.

it looks like its coming along, how does it look in person?

from my experience just using the little piece that zlurpo included, those white streaks of left over wax can be melted by hitting it with the heater or hair dryer. just need to be patient when warming it. i haven't tried at all with using an iron, i think ONRX cautioned against that but dunno.

it looks like its coming along, how does it look in person?

I just hit with the iron again and it smoothed out very nicely. On to the fur!

13 hours later... (minus food and gym time) Here it is. I'm thinking of going darker on the fur, but I want to let the whole thing cure for 24-48 hours before doing anything else. It's much more stiff and the color is way darker. I buffed the lettering on the back so it has that look where sometimes the lettering is darker than the jacket and sometimes the lettering is lighter than the jacket, depending on the light. I'll post more pics later as the canvas cures and I darken the fur.

13.jpeg

how does the wax look in the light? does it have a slightly reflective, shinier quality? my little piece did, more so than the fabric unwaxed

It does. It looks great when wet, but dries a bit matte. It’s still more shiney than the unwaxed coat and the shine works well with the lettering on the back. It’s also noticeably darker. I’ll take more pics tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

Even with two coats of wax, water drops still soak in a bit. That would make sense with the Joi rain scene. I think the screen coat was waxed, even though they said painted.

Copy that. Thanks for the updates!

- - - Updated - - -

Also re: water, I noticed that - it beads up some water but doesn't perfectly block it. But as Zlurpo repeatedly stated, the movie clearly shows it catches water in the rain scene, so even for the dire screen accurate replication, its 'water proofness' isn't completely 'water proof'.

This is the final product for now. I doubled the dose of dye, cut the amount of alcohol, and sprayed the fur three more times. It's hard to tell in the pic, but it's actually quite darker. The left lapel looks darker than the right just because it's angled in the lighting. I may do one more spray later, but I want to let it sit for a while and let the wax finish curing to the fabric.

coat final.jpeg

Attachments

• coat final.jpeg
    coat final.jpeg
    456.9 KB · Views: 181
I think the screen coat was waxed, even though they said painted.

Your coat looks great, but I doubt the costume designer would have said 'we laminated then painted it' if they simply waxed it. Especially since the coats were recolored after construction because Gosling didn't like the color, so paint was definitely involved. Having said that, I doubt anybody is going to nail that exact finish, so yours is as good as any if it looks right to you.

Your coat looks great, but I doubt the costume designer would have said 'we laminated then painted it' if they simply waxed it. Especially since the coats were recolored after construction because Gosling didn't like the color, so paint was definitely involved. Having said that, I doubt anybody is going to nail that exact finish, so yours is as good as any if it looks right to you.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it. I took a look at the screen captures again and his coat definitely has a smoother texture. I’m a big fan of waxed cotton canvas so I know I’ll like the outcome of mine. After it cures and I break it in, it’ll look more “battle-worn.”

How does it looks in shine/mate terms?
Another concern I have is I love the green on it, but is ver, very close to be grey. How does it looks the colour now?

No shine, but it still looks great. I wish it was a bit shinier. I darkened the fur last night and I think it’s dark enough. I may do a little cleanup of the white waxy areas, but they do make it look more "weathered"

Fur.jpeg

Last edited:
Dammit! I was hoping that maybe otterwax achieve the shine.
Take a look at this:
https://www.barbour.com/eu/categories/mens/waxed-jackets/c/mens-waxedjackets

How the hell they achieve that finish?

It must be the type of cotton they used. The canvas definitely doesn't shine like that. Here are the different types of wax methods Barbour uses: (from http://thornproof.blogspot.com/2011/02/all-about-wax.html)

Sylkoil
Our oldest and more traditional wax cotton is called Sylkoil. This is an “unshorn” wax where the cotton comes straight from the loom while it’s slightly fluffy and is then dyed and waxed. The natural imperfections of the weave are reflected in the rich variations of colour and finish and over time, this fabric softens into a lovely slightly peachy looking cotton between waxes. It is available in 3 different weights: 4oz, 6oz and 8oz.

Milledwax

Milledwax is a luxurious brushed wax which is passed slowly and carefully over emery rollers to provide a fine, soft suede-like finish. It is available in a heavyweight 8oz fabric.

Thornproof

Thornproof wax is a lustrous wax with a deep colour and even touch. The cotton is calendered between rollers and then dyed. The resulting finish is smooth cotton which we term Thornproof because it is extremely resistant to snags and pulls from spiky plants such as brambles and hawthorn. Our Thornproof wax is available in 6oz.

Antique Wax

Antique wax is heavily calendered which results in a lustrous glossy finish that changes with wear and relaxes with age. It is currently available in a light weight 4oz cotton which is ideal for the cooler months.

Weathered Wax

Weathered wax, sometimes referred to as Cracked Wax, is an aged finish wax used predominantly in vintage garments to give a characteristic weathered appearance. It is available in heavier weight 8oz cotton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back