Limited Run BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - NOW SELLING

Zlurpo , after a year and a half of fairly consistent wear throughout winter (and the cooler parts of spring/fall) my Officer K coat has faded to a warm brown with a green tinge, as opposed to a dark green with a cool gray tinge, as it was originally. It's only super-noticeable when, for example, the underside of the collar is visible, and you can see the difference between the unexposed and exposed areas.

My question is this: since the faux fur supposedly doesn't take water-based inks, would it be safe to give the whole thing a dip in RIT dye to try and restore the original color? Or should I just accept the new color as-is?

Also, more broadly: is it machine-washable? Would dry-cleaning be preferable? I should definitely clean it soon, whether or not I decide to dye it!

I don't remember if I have tried dying it or not. I may have a while back. But since a forest green due would, at the very worst, turn the orange-tinted fur to a dark gray-ish hue, I'd say it's worth a try. I don't think it will stick well to the fur anyway, but I can't guarantee that.

Machine washing should be fine, I recommend cold wash and tumble dry on low heat. If you have printing, after a wash some of it may turn white. It should return to its original state by ironing the printing through a piece of paper.

Re: BLADE RUNNER 2049: Officer K (Ryan Gosling) Jacket/Coat - PICS updated Oct. 23

Ok, the coat is now up for sale. Final base price is $325 plus shipping. I will be selling it only through my etsy shop, and this is the direct link.

It is a heavy (11oz) cotton weave fabric, dyed a dark grayish green. There is a faux fur collar, and while it is possible the pictured fur could still change to something a little bit longer and shaggier, it will likely stay the same as the photos. There are magnets and a single hook/loop at the waist to hold it closed. The collar has 2 magnets on each side and a buckle and strap. The collar height may still change from the photos after I get a chance to take a careful look at the newest sample.

The rest of the coat will be lined with a polyester quilted lining. I don't have great photos of it, but it will be a flat black material.

Sizing is S-XXL at the base price, or for an additional $30 you can get it custom sized. There is a sizing guide in the product pictures on the etsy page.

Printing is available for an additional $45. Please be aware that it is a fixed size, it does not change with the size of the coat. So getting printing on a Small coat will result in the printing probably touching the seams, and printing on an XXL coat will likely leave a border around the lettering.

I am still researching what to use as a coating. We have had some promising tests, but nothing conclusive so far. There is even a slight chance that nothing will be found, and it will be made un-coated. If a coating is absolutely necessary to you, DON'T BUY IT YET. You can't ask for a refund later if it turns out there's no coating, acket still available foelrcathat's not how it works :) I do not anticipate any price change with the coating.

This is a limited run of ~60 pcs. The first half (30) will take 8-10 weeks to manufacture and ship out, the second half should take an additional 3-5 weeks after that. It's first come first serve.
Is this jacket still available for a custom build? I have the specs of how I want it and can send all the changes needed n the reference for them also,I don't mind the cost if it gets a more screen accurate jacket..I have the movie specs on collar and lapel n such..done a bit o research and wasted. Lot o money on bad versions..

Is this jacket still available for a custom build? I have the specs of how I want it and can send all the changes needed n the reference for them also,I don't mind the cost if it gets a more screen accurate jacket..I have the movie specs on collar and lapel n such..done a bit o research and wasted. Lot o money on bad versions..
Yes, it's available on my Etsy store, bigeffectprops.

Ok here’s the “how to” step by step process to achieving the “K” coat look. Let me start out and say there was a ton of research in this subject matter, and being someone who works professionally in the film and tv world, I had access to some really knowledgeable and creative minds. Even with their help, I couldn’t nail down exactly how this look was achieved. There was plenty of testing and re testing of these steps, also there was a lot of failure. To anyone who plans on attempting this, please do so at your own risk. Zlurpo provided us with a kickass jacket and I feel he deserves most of the credit here. I just fancied it up a bit.

Here’s everything you need to do the job.
View attachment 796916
Painters tape
3-4 chip brushes
rubber gloves
Tim holtz distress inks- black soot, walnut, mustard seed (yellow), antique linen
a fine flat edged brush ( lettering on the back)
squirt bottle for water
an orbital sander of your choice sandpaper grit 120-150
kryolan camouflage ultra olive drab spray can
bladerunner 2049 soundtrack
25 work hours

(pay not attention to the 3 little bottles in front, they weren’t used)

Step 1.choose a color you feel is close to the what you see in the movie, we all see something different
I choose a high gloss

View attachment 796918

Step 2. Spread the jacket out on a flat surface and make sure to put down an old bed sheet or something to contain the mess,
and start laminating or painting, which ever you prefer.
Take your time, don’t over saturate the material, you have to do 2 coats anyway. This is a 3 day process
1 day for the first coat
1 day for the 2nd coat
1 day for reapplying or hitting the spots you missed 3 days total
View attachment 796919

Step 3. Once you feel you have an adequate coating over the whole jacket, and it’s been allowed to dry for at least 24 hrs
This is when you start sanding, again lay the jacket flat, work one area at a time, be VERY mindful of the seams.

View attachment 796920View attachment 796921

This is is what happens if you spend too much time in one area and there’s a seam on the underside of the coat

View attachment 796922View attachment 796923

I call this “battle damage”. Just be careful

Step 4. Reapply paint to areas that are thin or you make have burned thru, allow to dry (1 hour) and re-sand

Step 5. Hand paint around the lettering on the back if you have them, if not disregard this step

View attachment 796924

Step 6. Is optional if you are not happy with your choice of green, I did this just to finely tune the final shade of green
i took the camo spray can and lightly misted the jacket, doing a little at a time. And the final step In the paint process,
if you have the letters. Take the flat edge brush and mix some of the green you chose and some black paint, and repaint
the letters.
View attachment 796925

Now to the fur coloring,
This was surprising easy and quick, took all of maybe 1/2 hour to do.

Step 1. Tape off all areas around the fur

View attachment 796887

Step 2. Take the water squirt bottle and moisten the fur, no need to soak it just make it damp.
I then put on the rubber gloves. I test sprayed all colors on a paper towel just to get a feel on how it sprayed,
i misted just a small area of the fur with the mustard yellow to get a feel for the process. Mist the the whole
section and work it in with your hand, keep in mind you can blot the excess with a paper towel, move the fur
around, work the color. Next I misted in the walnut color,don’t be afraid, blot when necessary. Work in the brown,
View attachment 796896

View attachment 796895

Lastly, the black soot

View attachment 796897
Same thing, mist the whole area and massage it in, blot and add color as you see fit. Once you achieve
the color you’re hoping for, I misted the antique linen over the fur VERY LITTLEY. Repeat these steps
for all sections of fur. Once you feel you are complete,let it dry over night. The next day, take a paper towel
and rub the fur, more like dabbing the fur, this picks up any dye that didn’t soak in. After that, I tossed it in
the dryer on medium temperature for 20-30 mins. In hindsight, the walnut brown and black are really all you need.
View attachment 796900

Here are he results

View attachment 796903View attachment 796904View attachment 796909View attachment 796908View attachment 796907View attachment 796906View attachment 796905View attachment 796910
I took the photos outside on an overcast day. As for my thoughts on the process, it’s a little labor intensive, and there’s areas
you can’t just get right. The color I choose looks different once you see the whole jacket painted so beware of your color choice.
My color was a green olive almost black, I felt it was too dark, that’s why I misted the other spray can green over it just to bring
out the green hues. As for stiffness, it’s a little stiffer then I hoped, but it’s no stiffer then a heavy rain jacket. All in all, I give this
build a solid B. Thanks to Zlurpo and everyone for following. I would gladly answer any questions any of you might have. Also
I have no idea as to why the photos are misaligned, once you click on them, they right themselves, so please forgive me. Mike
Hello love the finish on the jacket, just wondering what the quality of the jacket that zlurpo is offering is like? Is it heavy thick material? I am trying to find an option that is and I bought the whitesheepleather version and it's very lightweight obviously its very hard to judge the thickness and quality of a jacket by a photo so I'm just wondering what my best option is as I want a heavy jacket I'm thinking of zlurpos jacket and I'm also looking at the soul revolver jacket

Hello love the finish on the jacket, just wondering what the quality of the jacket that zlurpo is offering is like? Is it heavy thick material? I am trying to find an option that is and I bought the whitesheepleather version and it's very lightweight obviously its very hard to judge the thickness and quality of a jacket by a photo so I'm just wondering what my best option is as I want a heavy jacket I'm thinking of zlurpos jacket and I'm also looking at the soul revolver jacket
I got one of the earliest copies, and it's fairly heavy canvas cotton. I've used it for winter coat for several years now (but I have put thicker lining in mine, though).

I don't remember if I have tried dying it or not. I may have a while back. But since a forest green due would, at the very worst, turn the orange-tinted fur to a dark gray-ish hue, I'd say it's worth a try. I don't think it will stick well to the fur anyway, but I can't guarantee that.

Machine washing should be fine, I recommend cold wash and tumble dry on low heat. If you have printing, after a wash some of it may turn white. It should return to its original state by ironing the printing through a piece of paper.
Hello I'm just wondering if it would be possible to make certain adjustments to the jacket such as moving the collar back abit like this about 2 inches. The other adjustment would be to make the collar a looser fit and to be shaped more like in the photo I have attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230830_205642_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_205642_Chrome.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20230830_205622_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_205622_Chrome.jpg
    850.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20230830_205614_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_205614_Chrome.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20230830_212946_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230830_212946_Chrome.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 64
Speaking for myself, I'd LOVE to see these slight adjustments happen to the near-perfect Zlurpo Coat ...

Side Note: when I first got Mine a few years back I also ended up getting a tailor to lower the collars buckle/strap by a little bit so that the Collar would fold over better and "sit more correctly"
I loved that coat but lost it in a fire earlier this year
in the months that have passed I've really begun to re-evaluate exactly what cosplay pieces I'd want to try and find once again ...

Zlurpo's K Coat is definitely ON that list... but I'd love to see these sorts of little "tweaks" happen (if possible)

Definitely following this thread in the hope that something progresses...

I'm not sure what you mean about moving the collar "back" two inches. But the changes in shape to the collar have been something we've been doing for like a year now to all orders. We just don't have updated photos.

Ok here’s the “how to” step by step process to achieving the “K” coat look. Let me start out and say there was a ton of research in this subject matter, and being someone who works professionally in the film and tv world, I had access to some really knowledgeable and creative minds. Even with their help, I couldn’t nail down exactly how this look was achieved. There was plenty of testing and re testing of these steps, also there was a lot of failure. To anyone who plans on attempting this, please do so at your own risk. Zlurpo provided us with a kickass jacket and I feel he deserves most of the credit here. I just fancied it up a bit.

View attachment 796916
Painters tape
3-4 chip brushes
rubber gloves
Tim holtz distress inks- black soot, walnut, mustard seed (yellow), antique linen
squirt bottle for water
25 work hours

Step 1.choose a color you feel is close to the what you see in the movie, we all see something different
I choose a high gloss

View attachment 796918

Step 2. Spread the jacket out on a flat surface and make sure to put down an old bed sheet or something to contain the mess,
Take your time, don’t over saturate the material, you have to do 2 coats anyway. This is a 3 day process
1 day for the first coat
1 day for the 2nd coat
View attachment 796919

Step 3. Once you feel you have an adequate coating over the whole jacket, and it’s been allowed to dry for at least 24 hrs
This is when you start sanding, again lay the jacket flat, work one area at a time, be VERY mindful of the seams.

This is is what happens if you spend too much time in one area and there’s a seam on the underside of the coat

Step 4. Reapply paint to areas that are thin or you make have burned thru, allow to dry (1 hour) and re-sand

Step 5. Hand paint around the lettering on the back if you have them, if not disregard this step

View attachment 796924

Step 6. Is optional if you are not happy with your choice of green, I did this just to finely tune the final shade of green
i took the camo spray can and lightly misted the jacket, doing a little at a time. And the final step In the paint process,
if you have the letters. Take the flat edge brush and mix some of the green you chose and some black paint, and repaint
the letters.
View attachment 796925

Now to the fur coloring,

View attachment 796887

Step 2. Take the water squirt bottle and moisten the fur, no need to soak it just make it damp.
I then put on the rubber gloves. I test sprayed all colors on a paper towel just to get a feel on how it sprayed,
i misted just a small area of the fur with the mustard yellow to get a feel for the process. Mist the the whole
section and work it in with your hand, keep in mind you can blot the excess with a paper towel, move the fur
around, work the color. Next I misted in the walnut color,don’t be afraid, blot when necessary. Work in the brown,
View attachment 796896

View attachment 796895

Lastly, the black soot

View attachment 796897
Same thing, mist the whole area and massage it in, blot and add color as you see fit. Once you achieve
the color you’re hoping for, I misted the antique linen over the fur VERY LITTLEY. Repeat these steps
for all sections of fur. Once you feel you are complete,let it dry over night. The next day, take a paper towel
and rub the fur, more like dabbing the fur, this picks up any dye that didn’t soak in. After that, I tossed it in
the dryer on medium temperature for 20-30 mins. In hindsight, the walnut brown and black are really all you need.
View attachment 796900

Here are he results

View attachment 796903View attachment 796904View attachment 796909View attachment 796908View attachment 796907View attachment 796906View attachment 796905View attachment 796910
I took the photos outside on an overcast day. As for my thoughts on the process, it’s a little labor intensive, and there’s areas
you can’t just get right. The color I choose looks different once you see the whole jacket painted so beware of your color choice.
My color was a green olive almost black, I felt it was too dark, that’s why I misted the other spray can green over it just to bring
out the green hues. As for stiffness, it’s a little stiffer then I hoped, but it’s no stiffer then a heavy rain jacket. All in all, I give this
build a solid B. Thanks to Zlurpo and everyone for following. I would gladly answer any questions any of you might have. Also
I have no idea as to why the photos are misaligned, once you click on them, they right themselves, so please forgive me. Mike
Hello just wondering if the dyes for the fur are permanent and stay in well even after washing?

Hello just wondering if the dyes for the fur are permanent and stay in well even after washing?
I only spot clean the fur when needed. I feel if you put it through a wash cycle it may wash out. The fur collar is synthetic. This dye will not sink i to the fibers, it just adheres to the surface. Hope this helps

I only spot clean the fur when needed. I feel if you put it through a wash cycle it may wash out. The fur collar is synthetic. This dye will not sink i to the fibers, it just adheres to the surface. Hope this helps
Thanks alot for the reply that clears things up. Would you recommend any other way to dye the shearling? That would withstand a wash cycle
what are your thoughts on acrylic paint? Shoe polish
diluted with water? Alcohol ink? Wood dye? Or dye like rit dyemore synthetic dye? Again thank you so much for your help and advice

View attachment 796916
Painters tape
3-4 chip brushes
rubber gloves
squirt bottle for water
25 work hours

I choose a high gloss

View attachment 796918

1 day for the first coat
1 day for the 2nd coat
View attachment 796919

View attachment 796924

the letters.
View attachment 796925

Now to the fur coloring,

View attachment 796887

View attachment 796896

View attachment 796895

Lastly, the black soot

View attachment 796897
View attachment 796900

Here are he results

Hello just wondering if there are any alternatives you would recommend to the enamel paint that you used as I can't seem to access the exact same one living in ireland

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back