Blade Runner 2049 Luv's Blaster

DonB
I agree with you. The Vallejo mecha blue grey needs to be darker. The tamiya dark ghost grey looks good, but needs to be a shade darker and could use a bit more blue. I also like the Vallejo grey blue, but it needs a hint more of grey. Maybe a custom mix is in order.
Got my paints through over the weekend so will do some experimenting this week.

Last edited:
Apologies if I missed it, but is there a good 3D model for this?

Sean
There's this one...

Luv's Blaster (Blade Runner 2049) by thr33face

I can't vouch for its quality or accuracy, since I bought the excellent resin cast from Top Top, but if you want a 'DIY' version this looks pretty good. There's another one onThingiverse, too, but even at first glance that one is inaccurate in lots of ways.

This is an open file in fusion, so one could always tinker with the file for accuracy mods etc. the author already pre-approved of modifications in his description. However, it looks pretty good already.

Last edited:
IMG_2446.JPG

So far so good

Not finding the time to move this forward as quick as I'd really like but we're getting there and it's not a sprint.

I spent an hour or so paint mixing this morning and then did a quick paint card to show you what I'm fairly happy with and interested in what you all think. This is under natural light and looked a lot better to the naked eye. I ended up believing the colour we're looking for is in between Vallejo Mecha Grey Green and Blue Grey (see below). I believe the 20% Grey Green and 80% Blue Grey is about right. I also experimented with adding some 'metals' into the mixes for the main body parts and believe the Steel from Vallejo works fine for me; this is just a tiny amount to make the mix more grey.

What do you think?

IMG_0154.jpeg

Not finding the time to move this forward as quick as I'd really like but we're getting there and it's not a sprint.

I spent an hour or so paint mixing this morning and then did a quick paint card to show you what I'm fairly happy with and interested in what you all think. This is under natural light and looked a lot better to the naked eye. I ended up believing the colour we're looking for is in between Vallejo Mecha Grey Green and Blue Grey (see below). I believe the 20% Grey Green and 80% Blue Grey is about right. I also experimented with adding some 'metals' into the mixes for the main body parts and believe the Steel from Vallejo works fine for me; this is just a tiny amount to make the mix more grey.

What do you think?

View attachment 1452409
Looks good! I found that you are looking for a grey with blue and not a blue with grey, if it makes any sense :D so your 20/80 is almost too blue, I would bet more on the W. steel you have there :)

Inspired by Don B and some others here, I got the Tip Top kits for Luv's and K's blasters.
I built a 3D print version of K's blaster last year but I wasn't happy with the finish on it and was eager to find a resin kit. Thanks guys for the lead on Tip Top. I'm very impressed with the casts. They're every bit as good as the Dave Goldberg stuff I've worked with.
So, my Luv's build begins.
I like to put as much metal into a build as I can for the look and feel of the weapon. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of parts on this that are easily replaceable so I settled for the trigger and drilling out a bunch of the kit and adding some 3/8" rod for weight.
trigger1.jpg

Cutting out the shape and getting to work with the dremel
trigger2.jpg

Some clean up and a test fit before bluing
testfit.jpg

blued.jpg

As I said, this kit is very nicely cast. The only bubble I had to fill was just under where the trigger guard meets the grip.
bubblefix.jpg

I drilled out the barrels and into the grip and rear upper to add weight
weights.jpg

I couldn't reconcile getting LED's into the trigger pivot and get a working trigger as I've seen on other kits, but I came up with a compromise.
More to come...

Tom

Looks good! I found that you are looking for a grey with blue and not a blue with grey, if it makes any sense :D so your 20/80 is almost too blue, I would bet more on the W. steel you have there :)
Thanks Simon. To the naked eye the 20/80 split looks about right to me. I think I'll use this on the first stage of airbrushing and see how it goes.

Don,
Nice work on those colours. I think your 20/80 blend looks good. I don’t think I have your patience when it comes to paint. I’ll see what I can find in available colours.

Last edited:
Don,
Nice work on those colours. I think your 20/80 blend looks good. I don’t think I have your patience when it comes to paint. I’ll see what I can find in available colours.
In comparison to many of the folks in here, I'm not really that patient! But it's fun to get this about right and I'm not in a rush. Let us know what you come across.

I think I’ve settled on my colours.
the blue is the hardest. I narrowed it down to 2. Dupli-color GM blue and Krylon Bahama Sea. I think the Krylon is the ticket.
31A1BD92-E65A-4335-B005-83988FA069F8.jpeg

For the trigger guard I like the Dupli-color New Ford Grey engine enamel and Gunmetal for the barrel.
B10FC271-843F-48A6-A1CD-4411EE20ED3E.jpeg

I’m almost ready to paint. Just waiting for some hard to find hardware to arrive.

Nice work. I like the 80/20 with steel.

What do you think?

View attachment 1452409

Here is one i had built and painted but wasn't overly impressed with the finish i am offering to anyone who could take it and re-paint it.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 87
  • t.jpg
    t.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 102
Here is one i had built and painted but wasn't overly impressed with the finish i am offering to anyone who could take it and re-paint it.

Yeah, that’s nasty. They did no prep work at all and didn’t even paint the barrel. I hope you didn’t pay much.

I’ve started the paint process.
Trigger guard is looking good
2010CBF1-0FCF-4E87-A20C-3A01C364545D.jpeg

Did the rear upper. I tested a graphite powder rub on the resin trigger to see if I wanted to do the barrels as well. The effect is subtle but I think I’ll go with it. That’s the blued steel trigger I made on the left for comparison.
DF11C69A-E58B-4420-98E1-1B284DD1142D.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back