Blade Runner 2049 Luv's Blaster

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don B

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I think it's close, especially if, as I say, the lighter metal is darkened slightly. For what it's worth, the final colour mixes (for Vallejo acrylics) were a 50/50 ratio of Engine grey and Light grey for the trigger guard, and then for the handle and muzzle detail the same mix but with Grey blue added drop by drop until the colour looked right(!). I think it ended up being about 80% original Engine grey/Light grey mix and 20% Grey blue.
Great job and this is getting closer. I believe the trigger guard, etc. is metallic (but it's subtle) and a little darker than what's showing at the moment - do you agree? Also I think your right that the barrels, etc need to be a little darker too.

Last edited:

el toro

Sr Member
Can you get those in sprays?

Only the Tamiyå Dark Ghost Grey is offered in lacquer spray.

Btw, I found my photos of Luv's blaster from the Petersen museum as well. Sorry but I took some crappy photos on my iphone, so they're not nearly as sharp as rickhoward's. I read the back/magazine and intermediate section to have a cool (i.e., ever so slightly bluish) tone in contrast to the paint on the barrels, which had a warmer (i.e., slightly amber) tone.

rickhoward, are you from LA/SoCal?

Luv 1.jpeg

Luv 2.jpeg

Don B

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

el toro

Sr Member
Great job and this is getting close. I believe the trigger guard, etc. is metallic (but it's subtle) and a little darker than what's showing at the moment - do you agree? Also I think your right that the barrels, etc need to be a little darker too.

Yeah I agree. You could try Tamiya gunmetal, for example, to darken the barrels significantly, while still lightening up under light.

I also agree with donB that the trigger and trigger guard area are slightly metallic.

I’m still working on luv’s blaster but I’ve been experimenting with colors as evidenced by the first two photos below. The last two shots below (including one by rickHoward) are from the Petersen museum. Note that I’m planning to change the gloss of the upper and the paint colors of the trigger area among other things.

Under natural light:
BCA48ED9-0FF7-48DA-9244-EBD1F64D99A6.jpeg

Under LEDs:
098D6B82-007B-4294-8525-92CAF50DBB3C.jpeg

From rickhoward courtesy of the Petersen
809A4101-35C5-4D37-9625-ED4D82550E4A.jpeg

My photo from the same place:
654BBD29-289C-4E1A-BD94-4A96C06DDD55.jpeg

Last edited:

Don B

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
el toro is that one of the colours Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey or the Vallejo mecha blue grey that you’re using there - as that looks pretty good to me? I’ve ordered both today (amongst a few others) to eyeball them myself.

el toro

Sr Member
The handle is actually tamiya German grey spray paint. Note that the bottled version from tamiya is inexplicably much darker. I have dabbed a few samples and will take a photo later.

Edit. I’m still not sold on German Grey, because the photo (from rickHoward) of the back of the handle indicates the paint has a bit more of a blue hue to it.
2FC18F4C-FEB0-462A-B8C2-4D5F4B3402CD.jpeg

el toro is that one of the colours Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey or the Vallejo mecha blue grey that you’re using there - as that looks pretty good to me? I’ve ordered both today (amongst a few others) to eyeball them myself.

Last edited:

rickhoward

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Only the Tamiyå Dark Ghost Grey is offered in lacquer spray.

Btw, I found my photos of Luv's blaster from the Petersen museum as well. Sorry but I took some crappy photos on my iphone, so they're not nearly as sharp as rickhoward's. I read the back/magazine and intermediate section to have a cool (i.e., ever so slightly bluish) tone in contrast to the paint on the barrels, which had a warmer (i.e., slightly amber) tone.

rickhoward, are you from LA/SoCal?

View attachment 1447177

View attachment 1447178
Sorry, I'm not. I'd love to get back in there with some better tech and shoot some additional photos. The museum has re-opened, and this exhibit is on to about May 9th (per a phone call to the Petersen, maybe the end of the month).