Blade Runner 2049 Luv's Blaster

Don B

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey joberg thanks for making me think twice. Just spent an hour or so researching Luv’s blaster and I’m in. It will be in my Christmas stocking!

See the above quote, and just getting around to making Luv's Blaster. This is another kit from the guys at TipTop Workshop and is pressure cast in Smooth on Smooth cast 321. The cast is solid and has a decent weight to it.

I like this kit - it has a lot of detail and I think it just needs some care and attention in how it's prep'd and painted to make it stand out. There aren't many reference photos but quite like the version posted in reddit.

The footage of Adam Savage looking at this prop posted here on the RPF within rgriesbeck's Unlimited Run post is well known but the quality of shot isn't great for reference purposes, and Flyscriber shared a great version he'd produced of this in the same post. See below.

If anyone has other references, I'd like to see them.

Here's some pictures to get an idea of the quality of cast.

IMG_0128.jpegIMG_0130.jpegIMG_0135.jpeg

Not a fantastic pic (shot with a cell phone through plexi and in subdued museum lighting), but perhaps helpful. I took this at the Petersen Automotive Museum in November 2019. I have a couple of additional photos I can locate and post.
Thanks Rick, these are really useful, especially the one from the back that provides a good blue colour indication and the transition to the black line (which is broader than I was planning). It also shows that the raised area just above the handle is also black, which I hadn't picked up - if you have any more please keep them coming. I'm very grateful.

Also it looks like there's 2 small grub screws towards the front of the barrels which I also hadn't spotted until now - the kit has 2 indentations at this point. I suspect that spending some time on these pictures will be time well spent. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Is it ok to point me in the direction of this kit? Really like this one.
Hi Jaicen, sure.

As said above this is from the guys at TipTop Workshop and I have bought 4 items from them, including this kit, and have always been delighted by their product and service. I bought via their Etsy shop, see link below.

or they have their own website, but (I think) this is less up to date and (I think) they use Etsy as their main 'shop window'.

You can see one of their other kits (K's Blaster from 2049) in my First Build thread if you're interested.

Lots of sanding, 2 coats of Vallejo surface primer (with lots of sanding) and 3 thin coats of Createx Opaque Black later.

IMG_0143.jpeg

...and then some more sanding with 1,000 grade and we're finally 'starting' to get towards a finish.

IMG_0145.jpeg

Will drill out the false screws and replace with real ones (black now I can see the photos - thanks again rickhoward).

Also I'm not sure what to use to fill the indentations in the handle, etc. I can see from the reference photos that they're more raised than the kit, so may just full use filler and smooth off at the edges, etc to create the right curve and profile (as can be seen from above). Any suggestions?

I have several kits from tiptop workshop. They are fantastic. I had a go at the Luv blaster before Xmas. Beautiful cast. I'll probably do another this year. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
20210301_083915.jpg

Last edited:
I have some photos of luvs blaster from the Peterson car show in LA that I posted on another site. Let me find them and post them here.

Note that there are slight variations in her blaster and the paint applications based on the models exhibited with the car, on Tested, in the movie, and in the Wired article.

More importantly, I’ve noticed that no one has captured the engraved hearts on both sides of her blaster as I circled in red below. If you include that “hidden” feature then you’d have a great model off the bat.

52D93315-EFC4-4473-8201-BA8676F9E2CC.jpeg

Last edited:
More importantly, I’ve noticed that no one has captured the engraved hearts on both sides of her blaster as I circled in red below. If you include that “hidden” feature then you’d have a great model off the bat.
Thanks el toro - I'll do that.

Here are some tighter images of the barrel "cut-outs." Wired magazine and SDCC Blade Runner 2049 Experience respectively. Neither of these images captures this feature very well.

As an aside, is the Wired image a photo, or a render? I vaguely recall some conversation on the back in the day.

Attachments

• Luv SDCC CU.jpg
    Luv SDCC CU.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 189
  • Luv Wired CU.jpg
    Luv Wired CU.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back