Blade Runner 2049 Luv's Blaster

I think it's close, especially if, as I say, the lighter metal is darkened slightly. For what it's worth, the final colour mixes (for Vallejo acrylics) were a 50/50 ratio of Engine grey and Light grey for the trigger guard, and then for the handle and muzzle detail the same mix but with Grey blue added drop by drop until the colour looked right(!). I think it ended up being about 80% original Engine grey/Light grey mix and 20% Grey blue.
Great job and this is getting closer. I believe the trigger guard, etc. is metallic (but it's subtle) and a little darker than what's showing at the moment - do you agree? Also I think your right that the barrels, etc need to be a little darker too.

Last edited:
Can you get those in sprays?

Only the Tamiyå Dark Ghost Grey is offered in lacquer spray.

Btw, I found my photos of Luv's blaster from the Petersen museum as well. Sorry but I took some crappy photos on my iphone, so they're not nearly as sharp as rickhoward's. I read the back/magazine and intermediate section to have a cool (i.e., ever so slightly bluish) tone in contrast to the paint on the barrels, which had a warmer (i.e., slightly amber) tone.

rickhoward, are you from LA/SoCal?

Luv 1.jpeg

Luv 2.jpeg

Great job and this is getting close. I believe the trigger guard, etc. is metallic (but it's subtle) and a little darker than what's showing at the moment - do you agree? Also I think your right that the barrels, etc need to be a little darker too.

Yeah I agree. You could try Tamiya gunmetal, for example, to darken the barrels significantly, while still lightening up under light.

I also agree with donB that the trigger and trigger guard area are slightly metallic.

I’m still working on luv’s blaster but I’ve been experimenting with colors as evidenced by the first two photos below. The last two shots below (including one by rickHoward) are from the Petersen museum. Note that I’m planning to change the gloss of the upper and the paint colors of the trigger area among other things.

Under natural light:
BCA48ED9-0FF7-48DA-9244-EBD1F64D99A6.jpeg

Under LEDs:
098D6B82-007B-4294-8525-92CAF50DBB3C.jpeg

From rickhoward courtesy of the Petersen
809A4101-35C5-4D37-9625-ED4D82550E4A.jpeg

My photo from the same place:
654BBD29-289C-4E1A-BD94-4A96C06DDD55.jpeg

Last edited:
el toro is that one of the colours Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey or the Vallejo mecha blue grey that you’re using there - as that looks pretty good to me? I’ve ordered both today (amongst a few others) to eyeball them myself.

The handle is actually tamiya German grey spray paint. Note that the bottled version from tamiya is inexplicably much darker. I have dabbed a few samples and will take a photo later.

Edit. I’m still not sold on German Grey, because the photo (from rickHoward) of the back of the handle indicates the paint has a bit more of a blue hue to it.
2FC18F4C-FEB0-462A-B8C2-4D5F4B3402CD.jpeg

el toro is that one of the colours Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey or the Vallejo mecha blue grey that you’re using there - as that looks pretty good to me? I’ve ordered both today (amongst a few others) to eyeball them myself.

Last edited:
Be careful to think that a pic is the right color:( Unless you have a Grey Scale right beside the prop, you wont know for sure!!

Only the Tamiyå Dark Ghost Grey is offered in lacquer spray.

Btw, I found my photos of Luv's blaster from the Petersen museum as well. Sorry but I took some crappy photos on my iphone, so they're not nearly as sharp as rickhoward's. I read the back/magazine and intermediate section to have a cool (i.e., ever so slightly bluish) tone in contrast to the paint on the barrels, which had a warmer (i.e., slightly amber) tone.

rickhoward, are you from LA/SoCal?

View attachment 1447177

View attachment 1447178
Sorry, I'm not. I'd love to get back in there with some better tech and shoot some additional photos. The museum has re-opened, and this exhibit is on to about May 9th (per a phone call to the Petersen, maybe the end of the month).

Well, I've got something that I'm happy with, finally, so I think I'm calling my Luv blaster done... for now! Since the last pictures I took Don B and el toro 's observations on board, and gave the trigger guard and trigger a light dusting of Vallejo Metal Color magnesium to give them a slight metallic look before applying clear coat to them and the handle (and the coloured detail around the muzzles). The darker internals were painted satin black. Then the metallic parts - the barrels and mid and back sections - were given three applications of graphite powder, rubbed in by hand and buffed to a polish between each application. This darkened these areas slightly as well as giving a better 'metal' finish. Interestingly, as you can just about see in the photos below I hope, this also produced the effect noted earlier of the barrels and the back section seeming to be a slightly different colour in certain lights - they are actually exactly the same colour. The graphite rub was allowed to lightly extend over the raised areas of the internals too, just to give a bit more definition. Finally, I added a minimal bit of wear on the metal edges with silver Rub 'N' Buff before a final protective light clear coat.

Is it perfect? Very far from. The texture is a bit iffy in places due to the multiple painting, stripping and re-painting, and the exact colours are still very much 'by eye'. Is it better than my original paintjob? Very definitely, thanks to the posts above this one! I think it's pretty close now, without being able to see the actual prop up close and personal. Certainly it's good enough for me I think, and it looks good as part of my growing 2049 collection!

717314E3-92C2-4FBA-B8C6-3286D1910AF4_1_201_a.jpeg F1023E15-F73D-4536-A105-201BF75828CC_1_201_a.jpeg D769DAD2-E914-422F-AA86-4617ABF9C687_1_201_a.jpeg CCE9C1DD-E93C-4BE4-9F0C-8C7AADC16AEA_1_201_a.jpeg AC60BC44-4906-46D3-99C8-30EAFD8C89DE.jpeg AF14ADEA-71C3-4A15-8BEC-7B65DD70AFD1.jpeg D2461247-9D43-4EE7-AE49-B8E83D231635.jpeg C3E1AC05-F222-472D-AC9E-0B358E131A66.jpeg C90B41F8-2E4B-411C-9B52-CDBD90AD8CCE_1_201_a.jpeg 1B5EDD74-14FA-46FE-AAEE-C8FCB1E26401.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks perfect!

Well, I've got something that I'm happy with, finally, so I think I'm calling my Luv blaster done... for now! Since the last pictures I took Don B and el toro 's observations on board, and gave the trigger guard and trigger a light dusting of Vallejo Metal Color magnesium to give them a slight metallic look before applying clear coat to them and the handle (and the coloured detail around the muzzles). The darker internals were painted satin black. Then the metallic parts - the barrels and mid and back sections - were given three applications of graphite powder, rubbed in by hand and buffed to a polish between each application. This darkened these areas slightly as well as giving a better 'metal' finish. Interestingly, as you can just about see in the photos below I hope, this also produced the effect noted earlier of the barrels and the back section seeming to have be a slightly different colour in certain lights - they are actually exactly the same colour. The graphite rub was allowed to lightly extend over the raised areas of the internals too, just to give a bit more definition. Finally, I added a minimal bit of wear on the metal edges with silver Rub 'N' Buff before a final protective light clear coat.

Is it perfect? Very far from. The texture is a bit iffy in places due to the multiple painting, stripping and re-painting, and the exact colours are still very much 'by eye'. Is it better than my original paintjob? Very definitely, thanks to the posts above this one! I think it's pretty close now, without being able to see the actual prop up close and personal. Certainly it's good enough for me I think, and it looks good as part of my growing 2049 collection!

View attachment 1448202 View attachment 1448203 View attachment 1448204 View attachment 1448205 View attachment 1448206 View attachment 1448207 View attachment 1448208 View attachment 1448209 View attachment 1448210 View attachment 1448211

Here’s a quick and crude color swatch of the greys I’ve been looking at. Sorry for the messy handwriting but I couldn’t find a pen that could write well on polystyrene. Note the first from left is tamiya German grey and the second is tamiya German grey over tamiya medium grey. The top photo is under daylight and the second is under LEDs.

A6275FA3-B2BF-4085-9FFA-7D7B40FA00A1.jpeg

99C3405D-4668-4C63-8F59-DD7D0A5263A2.jpeg

Sorry, I'm not. I'd love to get back in there with some better tech and shoot some additional photos. The museum has re-opened, and this exhibit is on to about May 9th (per a phone call to the Petersen, maybe the end of the month).
Gotcha. My family lives in SoCal, and I regularly go back. However with covid I haven’t been able to travel to California. Otherwise I would have gone back to the Petersen to make color comparisons.

Last edited:
Here’s a quick and crude color swatch of the greys I’ve been looking at.
That's great el toro, the Vallejo Mecha 69.015 Blue Grey is good but maybe a bit 'bright' and the Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey might not be blue enough - what do you think as you can see them in the flesh? Mine still haven't arrived as yet.

Last edited:
Looking great! Some great paint info on this thread too.
I'm inspired. I bought the Tip Top kits for Luv's and K's blasters and they're en route. Looking forward to the builds.

DonB
I agree with you. The Vallejo mecha blue grey needs to be darker. The tamiya dark ghost grey looks good, but needs to be a shade darker and could use a bit more blue. I also like the Vallejo grey blue, but it needs a hint more of grey. Maybe a custom mix is in order.

That's great el toro, the Vallejo Mecha 69.015 Blue Grey is good but maybe a bit 'bright' and the Tamiya Dark Ghost Grey might not be blue enough - what do you think as you can see them in the flesh? Mine still haven't arrived as yet.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back