Black Series Boba Fett Helmet Announced

Considering the price range is relatively narrow and reasonable ($6-12), I’d go with the finest detail to minimize print lines....though it’s not exactly in a high visible location.
I’d be curious how folks would finish this...meaning paint it like a computer board? If so anyone have a good reference photo of the vintage card itself?

The original was just sprayed along with the rest of the red hitting the keyslots. So I'd say it's a matter of personal preference whether one does that to match the original, matte black to be less obvious, drybrushed metallic to look more like a technological part of the helmet, or actually take the time to start red and add details to make some sort of cross between movie-accurate and "realistic".

Considering the price range is relatively narrow and reasonable ($6-12), I’d go with the finest detail to minimize print lines....though it’s not exactly in a high visible location.
I’d be curious how folks would finish this...meaning paint it like a computer board? If so anyone have a good reference photo of the vintage card itself?

hehe, I'm cheap so, any savings is great. Like you said, not visible place, so, not interested in Fine print job
But the board was painted red, the same red used on the helmet.

Have clear acrylic or plastic picture frames bought from Dollar Tree, I use these for model building.
Plan to use a piece for the bottom half of the Casio board.
Just gray primer both pieces, paint them red, then finally add wash on the Casio board for the details to pop and a light dirty wash on the bottom half piece so both pieces match the helmets weathered look.
The EFX boards are red and have a clean look, kinda doesn't blend in with the rest of the helmet

what type of 3d print finish did you choose for the Casio board?

and the board looks great

I printed it myself on a Form2 printer, but as was mentioned, since the price on shapeways is relatively a narrow range, I’d go with the higher detail if you can afford it.

Levi's a pretty humble and amazing guy. As far as I know, most or all of what he posts to Shapeways is available for sale or download. Including the MQ-1 circuit board. Go for it. :)

Just to add to what Inquisitor Peregrinus said (thanks again for the kind words), you'll have to create a free account to be able to download.

Levi's a pretty humble and amazing guy. As far as I know, most or all of what he posts to Shapeways is available for sale or download. Including the MQ-1 circuit board. Go for it. :)
Just to add to what Inquisitor Peregrinus said (thanks again for the kind words), you'll have to create a free account to be able to download.
Ah, thanks, I didn't even see that download link near the bottom!

Done? Not yet. Am doing? Yes. First one I'm redoing as a color-corrected Fenn Shysa. I also have a Prototype helmet preordered that's getting cleaned up the rest of the way to be a Supertrooper. I had to order more rare-earth magnets and more accurate rangefinder bits, and still need to order some Hyperdyne electronics. I'm documenting it as I go, and should have another update to my thread soon.

Done? Not yet. Am doing? Yes. First one I'm redoing as a color-corrected Fenn Shysa. I also have a Prototype helmet preordered that's getting cleaned up the rest of the way to be a Supertrooper. I had to order more rare-earth magnets and more accurate rangefinder bits, and still need to order some Hyperdyne electronics. I'm documenting it as I go, and should have another update to my thread soon.

That will be very nice to see. Thanks for the update.

I was more asking about any being redone into a more competent Fett. Even the small silver touch ups done by a few members really bring these things up a notch.

Have you looked over at The Dented Helmet? I'm going to be asking over there about a few things I've run into that have me scratching my head. Weathering someplace other than where it is on my templates, proportions being weird... Like, I have templates for all the paint apps and damage. Printed at 1:1 scale, and verifying with the printed scale on the paper, things like the back skirt line up fine. I'll have to wait until I get my dome swap from dr_slurpee to check that. But the cheekbone I printed to site the left-mandible notch ended up way bigger than the HBS'. I had to scale it down to 95% and the heavy damage apps in that location were way off in both cases. The dimensions seem spot on in all other respects. It's a difference of about 5mm at center front, but it's concerning. I'm printing and cutting out the rest of the templates to compare earcaps and cheek plates.

I would definitely recommend sanding off the paint apps (since they proved resistant to both acetone and alcohol and I didn't want to melt the plastic with anything harsher), doing a heavy coat of filler primer, and sanding back down. That fills most of the moulded-in damage. Then do a full-up repaint and weather using the established colors and templates. It'd be a good exercise in using liquid masking and pin-scratching as techniques. Most of the damage is good and seems to be in the right spots, but a couple are significantly off. The killstripes, even when they're straight, tend to have fuzzy edges. Overall the color seems dark. I'd rather achieve a closer effect with Panzer Olive Green misted with a blackwash or rubbed down with a little graphite before the masking is removed.

I had the same template issues with my yet-to-be-painted FPH2. Some templates fit well, most didn’t. Ultimately what I’ll be doing is using the stencils as basic guides only and freehanding with them as direct reference. I would love to maybe pick up the BS and customize it into other helmets though. Always wanted to do a blue ESB paint up for example, and I don’t see a point in grabbing another FPH2 or ESB hero cast for that.

Just an FYI, GameStop currently has the helmet in stock discounted down to $103.99 as a "Deal of the Day." In response, Amazon has has also dropped the price of their in stock helmets to $103.99, if anyone was still looking.

I am very tempted at this point. I have a nice a very Fiberglass Bucket, but I think it might be worth picking one of these up both for Display/to use at these Events where I don't want my "nice" bucket to take a tumble and break. (I already had the range finder broken and needed to be replaced a few years ago when a kid grabbed it when I knelt down for a picture.)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back