Bengrim's Darth Vader reveal project

amazing as always,
btw yesterday finally I get Sideshow Darth vader Reveal face mask and one neck brace kit that I buy on internet but comes with a missing parts like pins o wheels parts . I hope to upload some photos of the preview soon, but I would not like to open a new post about it.

I’ve given the nose/lip guard a little rub down, prime and top coat of metallic silver
It’s only a test piece so the colour does really not bother me but I’m open to ideas for a chrome finish that is available on the uk market
8C2E793C-F0E0-44AF-8F71-0F1FCA3325DA.jpeg

ACC88389-E6F5-44E8-A27D-8853DB6277C3.jpeg

Vacuum metalizing would be the usual choice for true chrome on plastic, but I doubt PLA would stand up to the high temperature.

If it's just for your display then chrome paint or pen would do. Wouldn't stand up well to much handling though.

Alclad II airbrush chromepaint is the best you can use for jobs like this.It looks really like chrome when you make it right.
But you must make it really smooth like hell.And spray a very gloss black as base under the chromepaint.
You can see every micro dust particle on the chromesurface.Same with real chromed parts.

Vacuum metalizing would be the usual choice for true chrome on plastic, but I doubt PLA would stand up to the high temperature.

If it's just for your display then chrome paint or pen would do. Wouldn't stand up well to much handling though.
Thanks Markus
I’m just playing at the moment but I will end up with this part made of metal with a chrome finish

After refining my “V” piece for the collar I thought I would try and cast it out of resin

1 becomes 2 (ish)
6A2ED90B-660C-46FA-8D2E-5424F5C7C305.jpeg

It’s got promise, I need to move on to version 2, I also need to get more into injection molding as I have tiny air pockets I need to eliminate,
more reading and learning

Vacuum metalizing is actually a low temperature process using a high vacuum to create a plasma of aluminium with adheres to the surface through evaporation.

Right, it's the cure temparuture that's the problem. It may be considered low for some materials like fibreglass, but for normal thin resin and especially PLA plastic, it is too high. I've had items returned to me warped because of this.

Vacuum metalizing is actually a low temperature process using a high vacuum to create a plasma of aluminium with adheres to the surface through evaporation.

So would it stick to PLA ?
It sticks to abs. I don’t use pla so I wouldn’t be able to answer that. Call VMC they’ll be able to tell you.
Right, it's the cure temparuture that's the problem. It may be considered low for some materials like fibreglass, but for normal thin resin and especially PLA plastic, it is too high. I've had items returned to me warped because of this.
I’ve vacuum metalized 1.5mm abs without any problems.

https://www.3dhubs.com/knowledge-base/pla-vs-abs-whats-difference#heat-resistance

Heat resistance

For high temperature applications, ABS (glass transition temperature of 105°C) is more suitable than PLA (glass transition temperature of 60°C). PLA can rapidly lose its structural integrity and can begin to droop and deform, particularly if under load, as it approaches 60°C.

It sticks to abs. I don’t use pla so I wouldn’t be able to answer that. Call VMC they’ll be able to tell you.

I’ve vacuum metalized 1.5mm abs without any problems.

After refining my “V” piece for the collar I thought I would try and cast it out of resin

1 becomes 2 (ish)
View attachment 996791
It’s got promise, I need to move on to version 2, I also need to get more into injection molding as I have tiny air pockets I need to eliminate,
more reading and learning
I’ve been so busy with real life stuff and 3D printing I’ve come back to these collar V pieces for a second look
The more I look at these I’m gettin de ja veu and frustrated !!!
I’ve done so many model kits in my youth, these look very familiar,
I will carry on refining them but I’m going on a research mission for these pieces and I ain’t gong to stop ( probably will )
But I’m going to give this some serious searching as they are so so familiar

I’ve been so busy with real life stuff and 3D printing I’ve come back to these collar V pieces for a second look
The more I look at these I’m gettin de ja veu and frustrated !!!
I’ve done so many model kits in my youth, these look very familiar,
I will carry on refining them but I’m going on a research mission for these pieces and I ain’t gong to stop ( probably will )
But I’m going to give this some serious searching as they are so so familiar

I believe they are something to do with a rivet gun.

I believe they are something to do with a rivet gun.
I saw this comment years ago and had a mad research month and couldn’t find anything to substantiate the claim, now that the information has probably grown on the interweb I will give this avenue another go but I ain’t holding my breath
Thanks sskunky

Sorry for not showing much on here but I’ve been busy working real life work, busiest year in 12 years (not complaining) more money in the back pocket
Also I’ve been playing and getting used to my 3d printers, I’ve got 2 now
As soon as I start to refine a couple of pieces, top disc and second disc on my lathe it breaks down
As soon as I get the new part I will show what I’ve done
Also I need to get the collar grill off to be photo etched next week
F493A4E8-05EE-404A-AD1D-56B27687857D.jpeg

I’ve got a bit of a gap in my 3D printing jobs and also waiting for paint to dry, so I Bit the bullet tonight and started back on my Vader reveal, I’m going to try and fit more Vader work in between the other projects I’ve got on the go
So this is probably the first of many adjustments I might do to the crown before I cut off the lower jaw
FEB7BC57-47D1-40CC-955B-FE3B1313869C.jpeg

I’ve got a bit of a gap in my 3D printing jobs and also waiting for paint to dry, so I Bit the bullet tonight and started back on my Vader reveal, I’m going to try and fit more Vader work in between the other projects I’ve got on the go
So this is probably the first of many adjustments I might do to the crown before I cut off the lower jaw View attachment 1049222
Yay!!!!!! You'll be getting started back up again? Yay!!!!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back