BATGIRL FILM CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.
but that doesn't mean that the content from HBOMax will cease to exist altogether, nor that they'll stop producing it altogether.

I don't think anyone here said that, at least I didn't. What I do take issue with, is people trying to make this all about Batgirl and only about Batgirl. That's simply not accurate. Several HBO Max movies and shows, in various stages of production, have been cancelled, though. That's a fact. You know what, though, at the end of the day people are going to believe what they want.

I don't think anyone here said that, at least I didn't. What I do take issue with, is people trying to make this all about Batgirl and only about Batgirl. That's simply not accurate. Several HBO Max movies and shows, in various stages of production, have been cancelled, though. That's a fact. You know what, though, at the end of the day people are going to believe what they want.
Some folks have mentioned it in the course of the discussion which was primarily focused around Batgirl.

When the story first broke, it seemed to be just about Batgirl, but everything I saw had it quickly spiraling into the Batgirl shelving being part of the much larger reorganization of HBOMax and Discovery+.

Now it sounds like they've shelved Batgirl entirely for tax purposes (which means it'll probably go the way of that 1994 Fantastic Four movie and will eventually make its way to booths at cons selling bootlegs).

Where are people getting that HBOMax is being eliminated? Everything I've seen suggests that HBOMax is merging with DiscoveryPlus and that they're going to have both sets of content on a single network. That's troubling in its own right, but it's not the same thing as "OMG THEY'RE TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS AT HBO!!!!!"

It still seems like they are trying to create a new app since there were porblems wiht the old app regarding the platform not being able to withstand streaming volume

To me that makes sense. The HBOMAx app was terrible and constantly having weird sporadic issues

and regarding those removed movies and possibly Batgirl reasoning

The content being targeted for removal tends to be shows and movies that are not performing on the service but have an opportunity for a partial write off.

Content costs can be amortized — or assigned a cost that gets recognized by an entity across multiple years — over the program or film’s expected lifetime. If years on that timeline remain, a company can remove that asset from distribution and use its remaining cost balance to offset taxable income elsewhere. (There’s also a non-monetary perk of cleaning house, according to our source: The service may be more likely to not overwhelm subscribers with content choices.)

It still seems like they are trying to create a new app since there were porblems wiht the old app regarding the platform not being able to withstand streaming volume

To me that makes sense. The HBOMAx app was terrible and constantly having weird sporadic issues

The issues sound more like platform-specific problems. I've used it on 4 platforms:

1. Web browser through Chrome (and maybe Firefox?) and it worked fine.

2. Android phone app. Worked fine.

3. Xbox platform. Worked fine, though Xbox is clunky for most streaming platforms.

4. Chromecast Plus. Works fine.

I think the streaming volume thing was only an initial issue when it launched. Now it seems to be able to handle capacity at least when I watch stuff. I like it because, unlike HBO as a "channel" on Amazon Prime's app, it lets me download stuff to watch offline.

I get why they'd say "Ok, doing all our first run films as theatrical and streaming was a mistake." But killing of series just seems to be about "this show is only doing ok-ish, and we can take a tax break for killing it and declaring it a 'loss' on our books."

The issues sound more like platform-specific problems. I've used it on 4 platforms:

1. Web browser through Chrome (and maybe Firefox?) and it worked fine.

2. Android phone app. Worked fine.

3. Xbox platform. Worked fine, though Xbox is clunky for most streaming platforms.

4. Chromecast Plus. Works fine.

I think the streaming volume thing was only an initial issue when it launched. Now it seems to be able to handle capacity at least when I watch stuff. I like it because, unlike HBO as a "channel" on Amazon Prime's app, it lets me download stuff to watch offline.

I get why they'd say "Ok, doing all our first run films as theatrical and streaming was a mistake." But killing of series just seems to be about "this show is only doing ok-ish, and we can take a tax break for killing it and declaring it a 'loss' on our books."

Maybe

I have used both though the Firestick and more recently on my Samsung TV I believe the OS is TIzen)

Both have a hardwired LAN cable connection to my router instead of using Wifi (since my Wifi in that room is spotty)

It had periods where it works great, but more recently I am getting buffering issues and infinite hanging issues on sign in. The sign in issues I have to fix by going to the app settings and doing a reinstall option to clear it up

and as mentioned in the article, those series were "underperforming"

They also cancelled the "House Party" premier as well

I am guessing they are either holding off for the "combined service" thing, or maybe like Batgirl, they figured it would be a flop

either way, HBOMax is scheduled to be relegated to the backshelf in 2023 in favor of the new combined app, or some other streaming service model.

I think they mentioned it not going away entirely, but essentially being gutted to nothing more than HBO On Demand

Look at 'Back to the Future' with Eric Stolz. Starting over with MJF was an expensive & painful choice but it was ultimately the right move.

But you don't really know that for certain because they've never released more than a still shot with Stolz in it. I think they're afraid that if we saw some of the footage we might realize it was actually better with him in it than Alex P. Keaton. People make assumptions based on the fact the liked the final movie, not because they know they didn't like the other guy in the role. We can only take their word for it that it wasn't working, but taste runs amok. Zemeckis thought The Frighteners was better than Ghostbusters. What does he know about taste? BTTF2 & 3 were derivative remake copies of the first movie down to copying the same skateboard and wakeup scenes. They're not aging well as a result. They look like remake/reboot/crappy sequels at this point. I liked BTT2 when I was a teenager and thought maybe the future really will look different, but now it seems ridiculous. Their vision of the future was a joke. It's 2022 and it looks exactly like 1985 outside except for the even uglier cars and people staring at their phones all day long (You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy! Yeah, Frodo, we don't use our hands at all...just to type/text on phones ALL DAY LONG!). BTTF3 does a little better since it at least it's more accurate to the time period, but it still copies the original too much, IMO.

This director says Batgirl IS working but we don't believe him because the CEO of Discovery Channel says Batgirl should be a documentary about bats hosted by Giorgio Tsoukalos, not some kiddie comic book movie and that HBOMax was a mistake and should become part of Discovery+ with more episodes of Skinwalker Ranch instead of first run movies and the Loony Toons are largely going bye-bye....(although maybe that's better than woke).

The REAL reason is they see a larger tax write-off than the cost of the movie, which also guarantees it will never be released in all of history since they'd have to pay that tax bill to do it and they're saving over $300 million on a $90 million film. So, that's not going to happen. Yes, it's clear Warner Brothers is in good hands. Jack Warner is rolling in his grave.

Personally, I'm kind of comic book movie overloaded at this point and I wouldn't even really care, except I would have liked to have seen Michael Keaton as Batman once more.... He's Batman in Flash too, but I gather he had a much bigger role in Batgirl including one pivotal action scene from what I've read about it. But I'm more upset that Warner Brothers is clearly going to hell, leaving Disney one step closer to being the ONLY game in town...a woke town at that.

Rarely do we find ourselves a witness to history of such importance as the subject matter of this thread.

Look around yourselves and take it all in; remember to tell your grandchildren where you were when you heard the news that The Batgirl film had been shelved.
I know you’ve phrased this humorously, but this is actually a very valid point in this discussion.

The canceling of this film has garnered FAR more attention than the production of the film had.
Maybe

I have used both though the Firestick and more recently on my Samsung TV I believe the OS is TIzen)

Both have a hardwired LAN cable connection to my router instead of using Wifi (since my Wifi in that room is spotty)

It had periods where it works great, but more recently I am getting buffering issues and infinite hanging issues on sign in. The sign in issues I have to fix by going to the app settings and doing a reinstall option to clear it up

and as mentioned in the article, those series were "underperforming"

They also cancelled the "House Party" premier as well

I am guessing they are either holding off for the "combined service" thing, or maybe like Batgirl, they figured it would be a flop

For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issues with the app on my phone, a Roku Ultra, and my Xbox.

You'd make a good religious leader. Kill all the heretics! :rolleyes:

BTTF is a timeless classic. The sequels not so much. Yeah, my opinion has changed after I grew up and realized how ridiculous the 2nd movie is. The 3rd is ok, but still derivative and thus inferior. If you can't see how it's derivative, you're too close to it.

I never said it would be better. I said we don't know for sure. The point is WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE FOOTAGE. You're just making it up in your mind.

And what "A-Hole" would that be? I don't know how some people function in the real world without ending up on the news....
Whooooosh…
That’s the sound of playful banter flying over your head…

Such is the fate of all woke trash that prioritizes politics over both storytelling and fidelity to the source material. Get woke, go broke.

After years of Hack Snyder's DC Cinematic Murderverse, and now these rightfully-aborted attempts to replace Superman and Batman with blatantly tokenized versions, maybe Warner will actually like to make money. And maybe they'll have learned not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. And maybe they'll have learned to respect both the IPs and the audience.

Probably not, though. We'll see.

On a related note, does anyone else feel that The Flash will be canceled as well due to Crazy Ezra? Clearly a studio’s primary source for promotion can’t be used (sending the main actor for interviews and late night show appearances).

On a related note, does anyone else feel that The Flash will be canceled as well due to Crazy Ezra? Clearly a studio’s primary source for promotion can’t be used (sending the main actor for interviews and late night show appearances).

It's a trainwreck. That would make two Keaton Batman-cameo films cancelled before release, too. He and his people must be thrilled.

And I would be thrilled if the staff of this forum admonished a certain member for continually trolling me with friggin' emojis. I hit "ignore" long ago, and yet this brat continues to try and get my attention . Does that not constitute harassment and "Inappropriate Behavior"? Hmmm?

Last edited:

I keep reading comments where people are saying “Can’t believe they canceled Batgirl but are still making The Flash.”

Just because The Flash hasn’t been canceled YET doesn’t mean it won’t be.

I feel like there’s no way they can possibly try to move forward with that film with Ezra attached.

I think for me a bigger question is…do they just cancel it, or recast and just be open about the reason they’re recasting is because they don’t want him in the role?

*EDIT*
Spelling got the better of me.

Last edited:
Supposedly The Flash tested excellent so it's a bit harder to justify killing it over an actor's hijinks. But don't be surprised if they turn it into an episode of Ancient Aliens instead with Discovery in charge...

Supposedly The Flash tested excellent so it's a bit harder to justify killing it over an actor's hijinks. But don't be surprised if they turn it into an episode of Ancient Aliens instead with Discovery in charge...

If he is abducting teenagers, I think that is a stake to the heart of his career.

Unless you're Jimmy Page

65488093-1383-4F01-85B0-BCA84727D13C.jpeg

Bill & Ted... Oh God the last movie was awful. George Carlin is spinning in his grave.

The original is such a classic.

Hijinks? He has possible felony criminal cases pending in multiple states. I think describing those as hijinks is a bit of an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back