BATGIRL FILM CANCELLED

Status
Not open for further replies.
This film will never see the light of day. It can't. They're using a tax loophole to write it off. Part of the conditions of that is that the film cant be released and be monetized. Otherwise they have to pay back the tax write off. Again, this movie was shelved in order to cut costs at WB after the merger with Discovery. Its the same reason, part of the reason actually, that HBO Max will be going away in favor of Discovery+. While some HBO Max original shows will stick around, most have already been cancelled.
The whole thing really just stinks.

for those of us who loathe woke-ism, we hope that is the reason it got cancelled. Fans with money vs a mob that will applaud you for delivering a woke message and then abandon you, backstab you at the first convenient opportunity
Batgril.jpg

Releasing it would also mean having to invest millions into its advertising.
and run the risk of making fans avoid future films and not buy your $300 Hot Toys and...

***HARP PLAYS FLASKBACK MUSIC***

How much were those Rose Tyco dolls?

Five Bucks?

for the ENTIRE DISPLAY?!?!?!

• Haha
Reactions: Ron
No amount of tax incentives would have made them bury this movie if it had been any good. This franchise is the kind of cash-cow that a studio uses to balance out other riskier movies where they lose money.

No amount of tax incentives would have made them bury this movie if it had been any good. This franchise is the kind of cash-cow that a studio uses to balance out other riskier movies where they lose money.

Wrong. When you're literally trying to write off billions from your budget and you're about to eliminate the very platform the movie is going to debut on while simultaneously focusing on theatrical only releases for certain properties, then yes, this is the move. This same exec shutdown another streaming service out of spite.

Wrong. When you're literally trying to write off billions from your budget and you're about to eliminate the very platform the movie is going to debut on while simultaneously focusing on theatrical only releases for certain properties, then yes, this is the move. This same exec shutdown another streaming service out of spite.
I agree. After all, the money was spent to make this film before the merger went through. It's almost like they lost someone else's money anyway. Why not take the guaranteed refund amount when you didn't invest in making the thing? I think it's a dick move, but nothing I have seen of this deal makes me think they've got any real respect for the work that went into making HBO Max as good as it is. HBO has a track record of making very, very good shows and now the app is going to "move away" from scripted content.

I agree. After all, the money was spent to make this film before the merger went through. It's almost like they lost someone else's money anyway. Why not take the guaranteed refund amount when you didn't invest in making the thing? I think it's a dick move, but nothing I have seen of this deal makes me think they've got any real respect for the work that went into making HBO Max as good as it is. HBO has a track record of making very, very good shows and now the app is going to "move away" from scripted content.

Yeah people are making this news all about the Batgirl movie when its just one part of it. Several films and shows in various stages of production all got cancelled.

One thing I can tell you is that once they do away with HBO Max I will not be switching over to Discovery+. Since Mythbusters went off the air I rarely watch anything on their channels.

That guy has zero credibility and zero insiders. :lol:

Just monotizing his viewer’s anger… their gullible clicks.

People gotta eat I guess, but imagine being that guy. Embarrassing. Take that helmet off.
The helmet is replaced by a more casual look when out on the town…

So should Tom Cruise be worried that his next 'Top Gun' sequel might get thrown in the trash, already finished, if it doesn't fit in with a studio's streaming & taxing plans?

How about a Chris Nolan 'Batman' show, or even a 'John Wick' sequel, or the next 'Ghostbusters Afterlife' sequel? Is anybody worried?

"Well of course not, Batguy. You're bringing up big-budget franchise tentpole movies" . . . . Yeah, kinda like a $100m new Batman movie with Michael Keaton that was geared for sequels.

This 'Batgirl' flick must have done pretty badly with test audiences. I'm not ruling out the other factors but that had to be a big one.

Last edited:
Creative accounting is what keeps inflated numbers and inflated earnings rising every quarter. For example a one million dollar film budget may be under an actual cost of $250k for a studio. An independent film may be in the tens of thousands yet list a million dollar budget. Then there is the theatrical release and number games. Solo being the go to for public expose. Theaters were "sold out" yet handfuls of actual butts in seats for paid tickets. Disney purchased its own tickets as they received 100 percent of a films take for the first months release to non Disney owned theaters. Creative accounting.

You want a legit theatrical release film budget look at Southland Tales and how far ten million can go in an Era where CGI was still under developed and expensive yet it has a mass of cgi, filmed entirely in LA at actual existing locations. The behind the scenes production story is worthy of its own HBO mini series. There was even a musical number filmed without any prior agreement or release of a song by the Killers. It shows how far ten million can go even in los Angeles.

Where are people getting that HBOMax is being eliminated? Everything I've seen suggests that HBOMax is merging with DiscoveryPlus and that they're going to have both sets of content on a single network. That's troubling in its own right, but it's not the same thing as "OMG THEY'RE TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS AT HBO!!!!!"

Where are people getting that HBOMax is being eliminated? Everything I've seen suggests that HBOMax is merging with DiscoveryPlus and that they're going to have both sets of content on a single network. That's troubling in its own right, but it's not the same thing as "OMG THEY'RE TURNING OFF THE LIGHTS AT HBO!!!!!"
Same reason people think the sky is falling at Disney. Wishful thinking.

I mean, I'll admit, I'm really troubled by some of the stuff I saw from the investor slide deck about Discovery/HBOMax. I cut the cable to avoid stations like Discovery and stop paying for them. I don't want to be paying for that with my HBOMax subscription and I don't want funding for Discovery ******** to cut into the funding for stuff I dig on HBOMax.

That said, even if I dislike the direction the service may be headed in, it ain't the same thing as "HBOMax is shutting down completely."

You said it yourself. HBO Max as a service will cease to exist. It will be folded into Discovery+ and be called something different.

You said it yourself. HBO Max as a service will cease to exist. It will be folded into Discovery+ and be called something different.
There are also multiple reports that original HBO Max programming is effectively in limbo right now. The things I’ve read suggest their best shows will continue on as shows on HBO itself, but some of the more modestly successful shows may be canceled.

I didn't say that. What I said was that they're merging. They may rebrand into something else, but that doesn't mean that the content from HBOMax will cease to exist altogether, nor that they'll stop producing it altogether. It remains to be seen what's going to happen, although I do think it's worth being concerned that if you have a pie, Discovery is now going to eat an as-yet unknown number of slices where previously HBO had the pie to itself.
There are also multiple reports that original HBO Max programming is effectively in limbo right now. The things I’ve read suggest their best shows will continue on as shows on HBO itself, but some of the more modestly successful shows may be canceled.
Some of the programming is, and some isn't.

HBO has, for the last 30 years at least, had its own original programming and films made by the network for the network. Unless HBO as a cable service is being shut down and/or transitioned into reality garbage, I doubt they'll get rid of that altogether. And if HBO continues to exist, then it stands to reason that they'll still have a streaming service equivalent.

Personally, I find it....kind of difficult to believe that there are people out there who want to pay for a subscription service to the Discovery Channel of all possible outlets. So, what would make sense to me is that they shut down a bunch of HBO's more marginal performers (e.g., shows and films that are reviewed decently but don't become mega-hits), and devote the money they save from that to propping up Discovery channel's stuff. In other words, HBO-ish content becomes a backbone for Discovery. And at the same time, the money and views they get from Discovery -- and the amount saved by producing dirt-cheap reality crap -- props up HBO-type stuff.

But what do I know. This whole thing just seems monumentally stupid and like the kind of galaxy-brain shenanigans that finance bros and C-suite dipsticks come up with as a "brilliant plan" right before they declare bankruptcy and run away with piles of cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back