Bandai release schedule

jurassic park film GIF

So have to start asking--if you can print anything, should you lol?

Should.

It's another tool in the tool kit. Ultimately, I make models because I want a specific thing. This thread is littered with special requests, hopes and wants, and expressions of frustration when we can't get it. 3D printing makes those wants possible (at least to a point). Want a 1/48 Y-Wing? Bummed that Bandai isn't doing one? Now you can make it happen, literally. I really wish there was a business model for companies like Bandai to sell digital files. I'd be thrilled to download a Bandai TIE bomber .stl for $20-30 if I knew I was getting that level of quality.

Yep! Recently completed a TIE Bomber and Rebel Transport, not bad for 3D prints? And will get only better and cheaper, like any new-ish tech. I think the only downside is that some 3D printing enthusiasts will end up with homes literally filled top to bottom with ships and figures. Not good for hoarders? So have to start asking--if you can print anything, should you lol?
Awesome work! :)

I'm a hobby paper model designer. To me the digital files are much more important than the built model. You can store thousands of thousands of model files on one hard drive, so space is not a real issue any longer. If I want to build a model I mostly do it to give it away as a present or to check the fit and buildability of the designed parts before I release them on the web. Those files give you freedom to decide which scale you want the build to be and independence from unique kit parts: if something from your model breaks you just re-print that part in question, replace it and everything is fine. Losing the physical model is no drama (in fact, mine are even compostable because they are flattened trees ;) ); however, losing the digital file would mean losing precious months or even years of hard work that went into the project.

Should.

It's another tool in the tool kit. Ultimately, I make models because I want a specific thing. This thread is littered with special requests, hopes and wants, and expressions of frustration when we can't get it. 3D printing makes those wants possible (at least to a point). Want a 1/48 Y-Wing? Bummed that Bandai isn't doing one? Now you can make it happen, literally. I really wish there was a business model for companies like Bandai to sell digital files. I'd be thrilled to download a Bandai TIE bomber .stl for $20-30 if I knew I was getting that level of quality.

Amen!

I will be able to have that 1/72 U-Wing no one is ever going to make a kit of

Plus, I am a figure nut and being able to print out all kinds of 1/72 scale figures and odds and ends to go with the ships and vehicles has been very liberating, even if I still have to buy stls, there is still a massive selection of subjects that would never see the ight of day in kit form
I can finally do scenes like this in 1/72...

IMG_4473 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4476 (2).JPG
    IMG_4476 (2).JPG
    702.8 KB · Views: 81
Ha! YouTube. Seriously, I watched maybe 30 minutes worth of tutorials, one I swear was by a 10-year-old girl! It's stupid simple. It's just dragging pre-made shapes, stretching or squashing them, combining them with other shapes, making holes to cut sections out of shapes, etc. I made this exhaust pipe thing for my Mando N-1 build in like 15 minutes. View attachment 1556722
Hey, ah... Would you be willing to share that for my own N-1 build...?

Want a 1/48 Y-Wing? Bummed that Bandai isn't doing one? Now you can make it happen, literally.
StevenBills just did that recently and I have one. :)

I really wish there was a business model for companies like Bandai to sell digital files. I'd be thrilled to download a Bandai TIE bomber .stl for $20-30 if I knew I was getting that level of quality.
There is beginning to be, but all unlicensed so far. I have found a bunch on CGTrader and Cults and the like that have filled in holes in my collection, but there are still many more yet to find or make...

I'm a hobby paper model designer. To me the digital files are much more important than the built model. You can store thousands of thousands of model files on one hard drive, so space is not a real issue any longer. If I want to build a model I mostly do it to give it away as a present or to check the fit and buildability of the designed parts before I release them on the web. Those files give you freedom to decide which scale you want the build to be and independence from unique kit parts: if something from your model breaks you just re-print that part in question, replace it and everything is fine. Losing the physical model is no drama (in fact, mine are even compostable because they are flattened trees ;) ); however, losing the digital file would mean losing precious months or even years of hard work that went into the project.
Abso-fraggin'-lutely. I have, to quote Arnie, "detailed files". They have expanded my options considerably -- for costuming, for gaming, for model displays, even simple home-decor (light switches and the like). I couldn't have imagined this a quarter-century ago.

I will be able to have that 1/72 U-Wing no one is ever going to make a kit of
If you get there before me, let me know. I need one, too. :p

Plus, I am a figure nut and being able to print out all kinds of 1/72 scale figures and odds and ends to go with the ships and vehicles has been very liberating, even if I still have to buy stls, there is still a massive selection of subjects that would never see the ight of day in kit form
And growing all the time. I love it. It's made up for not being able to get the standing figures in the Bandai kits any more. And, since they're digital files, I can print them in 1:72 for my models... or 1:48 for Legion. I already scaled the studio-scale Hoth AT-ST hull files to Legion and am using the Bandai kit to provide a base for detailing and other structures. The flexibility and freedom are fantastic.

Hey, ah... Would you be willing to share that for my own N-1 build...?

I think this is a "if you teach a man to fish" moment where it's so simple, quick, and free to do that it's better to just show you how to do it. I'm going to post a short demo on my N-1 build thread. Once you see how easy it is, it'll change your modelbuilding world and you'll start making all kinds of things.

Not a new release, but some good news:

Bandai is doing another run of the Perfect Grade 1/72 Falcon:

Shipping scheduled for December 2022.

Hat tip chiangkaishecky at Starship Modeler.

Wait -- my Japanese is rusty. What's that about "cockpit laser" something...?

ETA: N/M -- cockpit and gunwell interiors. Got it. I keep hoping they're going to add option parts for the lower hull to make the ESB version. *sigh* Maybe this is to raise capital for that...

Last edited:
Just for confirmation in terms of Bandai Star Wars Ship Kits - their booth at Celebration has absolutely NOTHING NEW, outside of a Tamishi Nation's Samurai Ackbar. I guess it should be safe to assume that there will be no more new ship kits from Bandai outside of runs of their existing kits now and again.

Hey guys - looking for some advice on replacement parts. Some of the laser cannons on my 1:72 X-wings have snapped during a move and I was wondering if anyone knew of a relatively easy and affordable source of replacement parts? (Either spares, 3D prints, casts etc. Unless it's easier use a bit of brass rod maybe?)

I always replace the cannons on all my X-Wing builds with telescoping brass tubes. They last forever, look more accurate, and it's one of the easier scratchbuilding jobs to do. If the curved "C" shaped bits toward the cannon tip are still intact, just snip those away, use a pin drill to drill an appropraite sized hole and use CA to attach it to the rod. Piece of cake.

I always replace the cannons on all my X-Wing builds with telescoping brass tubes. They last forever, look more accurate, and it's one of the easier scratchbuilding jobs to do. If the curved "C" shaped bits toward the cannon tip are still intact, just snip those away, use a pin drill to drill an appropraite sized hole and use CA to attach it to the rod. Piece of cake.
Then you must have a bunch of Bandai ones lying around! ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back