Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

So been doing a little research lately... And i must admit... The Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade kit.... God I really REALLY want one. But damn not for 350 quid D: How on earth is that price justified for a model kit? D:

Dont get me wrong it looks great. I would love it. But 350 quid D:

So been doing a little research lately... And i must admit... The Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade kit.... God I really REALLY want one. But damn not for 350 quid D: How on earth is that price justified for a model kit? D:

It's worth it.

yeah, it's a bit spendy, but if you've ever bothered with an MPC falcon...and tried to upgrade it to get it close to looking correct...you'll find the Bandai is the cream of the crop in Falcon kits. Spend the quid brother, it's totally worth it. BUT, if you want to get the Shapeways pieces to make it ESB with 5 landing gear, etc, you'll be in for at least another 100 or so. I went hog on the upgrades (but there are some really good pieces to be had) and spend probably as much on those as I did the kit itself! :eek: I know, like Austin Powers put it..."it's a bit nut-ty" LOL:lol:

also to point you in the right direction, should you choose to go there...Shapeways (3d printed goodies) and look for designers 'Age of Plastic' and '308 bits' put "PG" or "perfect grade" in the search window...take you right to it. and trust me, you're gonna want some of that stuff.

if i was to print out spare parts of fixes, id rather print them myself with my fdm or resin printer... depending on how large the parts are.

I really want this kit but 350 is just too much. Im not rich :(

Do i have the money available to buy one sure, but can i justify spending 350 quid on a model kit. No. I really cant :/
if it was cheaper 150 heck at a stretch 200 I would have been more inclined to get it.

But lets not forget one very simple thing here.

This is Plastic. Its injection moulding. Sure RnD and tooling for injection moulding is not cheap. But once thats out the way the actual plastic bit is really not worth anywhere near 350 quid. Even if you take into consideration licensing and RnD costs. Theyve made how many units? 50k?100k?200k? Youre looking at a revenue return after costs at the 10s of millions at this price. I can assure you the licencing cost isnt anywhere near that.

They really didnt need to command such a price. They only did it because they knew they could get away with it. There are enough die hard fans with too much money and little sense to just throw that kind of money into a model kit.

Doesnt anyone remember when model kits used to cost 20 quid? And the really good ones maybe 40? Then suddenly we got the polar lights ent A and that was 60, but everyone would have thought it was a one off price thing... and it would settle... Now were getting kits that are 350 quid... What point does it end?

350+ may seem a high price for a kit, and it is. But it's not all that unusual, there are premium quality kits, military, ships, cars etc. at that price and much higher. And it's not the volume of plastic you're paying for, it's the enormous cost of making the molds, which can reach hundreds of thousands for a premium kit using the latest tech.

The PG Falcon is every bit worth the price, my only gripe is the crap quality decals.

if i was to print out spare parts of fixes, id rather print them myself with my fdm or resin printer... depending on how large the parts are.

I really want this kit but 350 is just too much. Im not rich :(

Do i have the money available to buy one sure, but can i justify spending 350 quid on a model kit. No. I really cant :/
if it was cheaper 150 heck at a stretch 200 I would have been more inclined to get it.

But lets not forget one very simple thing here.

This is Plastic. Its injection moulding. Sure RnD and tooling for injection moulding is not cheap. But once thats out the way the actual plastic bit is really not worth anywhere near 350 quid. Even if you take into consideration licensing and RnD costs. Theyve made how many units? 50k?100k?200k? Youre looking at a revenue return after costs at the 10s of millions at this price. I can assure you the licencing cost isnt anywhere near that.

They really didnt need to command such a price. They only did it because they knew they could get away with it. There are enough die hard fans with too much money and little sense to just throw that kind of money into a model kit.

Doesnt anyone remember when model kits used to cost 20 quid? And the really good ones maybe 40? Then suddenly we got the polar lights ent A and that was 60, but everyone would have thought it was a one off price thing... and it would settle... Now were getting kits that are 350 quid... What point does it end?

The PG Falcon is NOT a 60 quid model kit.

I’ll gladly pay 350 for a kit as close to perfection as the PG Falcon. Hope they do a PG Blockade Runner and Star Destroyer too.

Reminder, they are a company in business to make money.

WhatsW wrong with the decals?

The grays are dithered/like a dot matrix and are oversimplified, not very accurate. You would do much better to paint them.

I had no problem with the stencils, went on fine and really add a lot of up close visual interest.

The red panel decals seem accurate. If I did another one, I might use them as painting red is a PITA!

The PG Falcon is NOT a 60 quid model kit.

I’ll gladly pay 350 for a kit as close to perfection as the PG Falcon. Hope they do a PG Blockade Runner and Star Destroyer too.

Reminder, they are a company in business to make money.

A good sized ISD would be an awesome thing. i have a Zevzda and it's nice, but pretty far off from accurate. Spent some dollars on upgrade parts, and there's a couple guys that are going whole hog adding greeblies to get 'em right. i think Invar is over a year into his, the guy is a genius. i could easily see a bandai ISD being in the 400-500 range.

The little lettering and symbol decals are fine, but I would never use the panel decals. You are better off painting them. In fact, I would say you would be required to paint them with a kit like this. I'm hoping to get a second one soon.

The little lettering and symbol decals are fine, but I would never use the panel decals. You are better off painting them. In fact, I would say you would be required to paint them with a kit like this. I'm hoping to get a second one soon.

For his massive 1/72 Docking bay 94 Diorama not doubt!:lol:(y)

That's a great idea!

I was thinking of doing that myself but in 1/144...I gotta put something in that lower wall shelf were the ex's crap used to be!:lol:(y)
only thing is, I think the 1/144 falcon's are 5 gear versions...BUT, in that configuration, you'd be looking in from outside the Death Star so, the front gear boxes wouldn't be that noticeable...just leave the legs off or some such, maybe cut the boxes off all together and scratch replacement panels and pits. there's always a way(y) but of course that means 1/144 troopers and vader...a few officers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back