Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

I was thinking of doing that myself but in 1/144...I gotta put something in that lower wall shelf were the ex's crap used to be!:lol:(y)
only thing is, I think the 1/144 falcon's are 5 gear versions...BUT, in that configuration, you'd be looking in from outside the Death Star so, the front gear boxes wouldn't be that noticeable...just leave the legs off or some such, maybe cut the boxes off all together and scratch replacement panels and pits. there's always a way(y) but of course that means 1/144 troopers and vader...a few officers

Get to it!

The grays are dithered/like a dot matrix and are oversimplified, not very accurate. You would do much better to paint them.

I had no problem with the stencils, went on fine and really add a lot of up close visual interest.

The red panel decals seem accurate. If I did another one, I might use them as painting red is a PITA!

the LARGE decals are bad and NEED to be painted over if you want your model to look more screen accurate, but the small
detailed decals are fantastic and I don't have a problem with them. When I was researching the actual model, I noticed the "DRIVE SAFELY" sign
at the bottom back of the 5 foot. I was SUPER PLEASED to see Bandai included that detail in the decal page. I had the great fortune to work at ILM in San Fran for a short contract in the matte dept. I showed my falcon photos from my bandai kit (page 91 I think) to Paul Huston who I worked with at Lucasfilm while I was there. He gave me some nice compliments, he'd worked on the original 5 footer, and said "your photos of your model reminded me that the original is over 42 years old!" :)

Attachments

• Bottom Rear -2-detail.jpg
    Bottom Rear -2-detail.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 184
the LARGE decals are bad and NEED to be painted over if you want your model to look more screen accurate, but the small
detailed decals are fantastic and I don't have a problem with them. When I was researching the actual model, I noticed the "DRIVE SAFELY" sign
at the bottom back of the 5 foot. I was SUPER PLEASED to see Bandai included that detail in the decal page. I had the great fortune to work at ILM in San Fran for a short contract in the matte dept. I showed my falcon photos from my bandai kit (page 91 I think) to Paul Huston who I worked with at Lucasfilm while I was there. He gave me some nice compliments, he'd worked on the original 5 footer, and said "your photos of your model reminded me that the original is over 42 years old!" :)
I noticed the DIVE SAFELY decal too and I smile every time I see it on my PG Falcon.

Lucky git :D Back when i was doing motion graphics and 3d effects I would have loved to have worked for ILM... It was the dream job as i grew up, would have loved to be in the modeling department...

Sadly as life happened and things took a turn for the worse, I'm no longer a professional anything... Just trying to scrap by...

Lucky git :D Back when i was doing motion graphics and 3d effects I would have loved to have worked for ILM... It was the dream job as i grew up, would have loved to be in the modeling department...

Sadly as life happened and things took a turn for the worse, I'm no longer a professional anything... Just trying to scrap by...

yeah, I was there in a brief window of time, when GL was still there in the halls and elevators. Now they send everyone they hire to Vancouver or London. I wish I'd known, but if I'd asked nicely, the Skywalker Ranch fire dept may have let me into the LFL archive building for a bit to see all the ships/costumes. But I did get to go to the ranch three times....

one of these days I'll get to see the original 5 footer.

So been doing a little research lately... And i must admit... The Bandai 1/72 Perfect Grade kit.... God I really REALLY want one. But damn not for 350 quid D: How on earth is that price justified for a model kit? D:

Dont get me wrong it looks great. I would love it. But 350 quid D:
I saw shops selling it for 300 quid, if that's better price for you :p I even found one specific german shop that sold it even cheaper, for 300€ (~270 quid).

I saw shops selling it for 300 quid, if that's better price for you :p I even found one specific german shop that sold it even cheaper, for 300€ (~270 quid).
Sounds like the standard kit, in which you won't get water slides or electrics...but that sounds like a great deal. There's a couple of guys here that have printed some, they might help a guy out if asked.

A good sized ISD would be an awesome thing. i have a Zevzda and it's nice, but pretty far off from accurate. Spent some dollars on upgrade parts, and there's a couple guys that are going whole hog adding greeblies to get 'em right. i think Invar is over a year into his, the guy is a genius.

Well gee-whiz and thanks for the compliment! I'll have an update on my thread in the next day or so. Almost done with greeblies, a year and a half into the build of the Zvezda! Just have the bridge face, back neck and some updates to micro-rod fittings on the new 3D engine bells and then I will be ready to put together the sub assemblies - and begin running fiber.

As great as the Bandai PG Falcon is from the pics, I took a pass as I was already heavily invested in this kit and 9 other Bandai kits that I have not even opened yet. But should they do a PG SD II - I will probably invest in that - though I imagine all the work I put into the Zvezda will make that my favorite.

What shops have it for that much? And that German shop too?

Heh yep UK here :)
I saw it quite cheap in those shops:
Revell Bandai 1:72 Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon Star Wars Kit - Revell from Jumblies Models UK
https://www.amazon.de/Revell-Millennium-Pegasus-Millenium-Mehrfarbig/dp/B07HM8WB1F
https://www.amazon.es/Revell-Millen...8&qid=1546533561&sr=8-1&keywords=revell+01206
and the cheapest one was in menzels-lokschuppen.de but its store page was already removed. I'm afraid it's not available in most of those shops now, but someone said here that revell promised at least one restock after initial shipment of 800 falcons.

OH FFS..... That Jumblies listing... Was frantically looking for the buy button... But then noticed out of stock D: NO fair!

And just realised Jumblies is the shop in the market place in Norwich... Ive been in that shop D:.... AGAHAGHAGAHGAHAGAHAGHHHHHHH!!!!!! *sulk*

(sorry to be a bit OT here, but didn't think this warranted a new thread)

If anyone here has used Archive-X paints, what brand of thinner do you recommend here in the States? I ordered a few jars, and Guy recommends mineral spirits with a 1:1 mix. I've tried spraying some of the Reefer White, but have had only limited success thinning with odorless mineral spirits from the local hardware store--it doesn't seem to thin that well (if I don't get the mix *just* right the Reefer White sprays either too thick or too thin). I note the paint has a really thick consistency; closer to enamel you'd paint a room with rather than hobby applications.

Any recommendations for a more forgiving thinner would be appreciated, as Archive-X is WAY too expensive to experiment with too much!

Thanks....

Any recommendations for a more forgiving thinner would be appreciated, as Archive-X is WAY too expensive to experiment with too much!
When spraying Rustoleum enamels I had the best results with acetone. Mineral Spirits is slightly oily and made the paint coats thicker and softer, acetone made it more thin and hard. For Archive X I'd probably go with Testors or Tamiya enamel thinner, pricier but they're made for model use so they should have the best finish.

800, eh? Interesting.
800 for the initial shipment, 200 more if there'll be demand. Well, I guess there is :p

OH FFS..... That Jumblies listing... Was frantically looking for the buy button... But then noticed out of stock D: NO fair!

And just realised Jumblies is the shop in the market place in Norwich... Ive been in that shop D:.... AGAHAGHAGAHGAHAGAHAGHHHHHHH!!!!!! *sulk*

Ouch. I'd ask them about restock then, maybe they'll get some extra falcons. There could be also some other shops in uk with good prices, try typing in google "revell 01206" - that's how I found Jumblies and those other offers. There were some other uk-based shops, but I was more interested in german ones, because euro and shipping were cheaper for me :p

When spraying Rustoleum enamels I had the best results with acetone. Mineral Spirits is slightly oily and made the paint coats thicker and softer, acetone made it more thin and hard. For Archive X I'd probably go with Testors or Tamiya enamel thinner, pricier but they're made for model use so they should have the best finish.

Thanks for the info! I have Testors enamel thinner, so will try that.

Yeah I emailed Jumblies about it they wernt sure if they were going to get any new stock... I dont know if thats because Bandia finished its mould run and the kits are now going to get the Collectors mark up because of running out stock :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back