Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Man.....there is some serious work being done here. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to compete with this stuff. I swear it's gonna take me years to get it where I want it to be....

I have the same feeling most of the time when looking at superior builds. Robiwon always went that extra mile to encourage us novices and make it seem that anyone could achieve Master level builds. The references of these builds for the 1/72 will help me when I get around to building the Bandai 1/144 that has been sitting in a box since I got the Zvezda SD I have been consumed with detailing, lighting and building.

I have the same feeling most of the time when looking at superior builds. Robiwon always went that extra mile to encourage us novices and make it seem that anyone could achieve Master level builds. The references of these builds for the 1/72 will help me when I get around to building the Bandai 1/144 that has been sitting in a box since I got the Zvezda SD I have been consumed with detailing, lighting and building.

I think the thing I will have to start with is getting good references. I would love to compile a nice set and get them printed out.

Got mine! Just looked at the decal sheet and noticed that Bandai was kind enough to put chipping details on all the red and grey panels. Originally I had planned on just painting the panels on, but these decals looks really good. What are the rest of you going to do?

Got mine! Just looked at the decal sheet and noticed that Bandai was kind enough to put chipping details on all the red and grey panels. Originally I had planned on just painting the panels on, but these decals looks really good. What are the rest of you going to do?

I'm going to paint my panels. I look at some of the older models on my shelf -- the ones that are 15-20 years old now -- and some have peeling or yellowing decals even though they were sealed under finish coats. I painted on the registry markings on my 1/350 TOS-E and I'm constantly amazed how great they look. I'll never have to worry about them cracking or peeling. Besides, to me the chipped panel decals seems a little like cheating. Even some simple scraping with an X-acto can make good chipping effects pretty easily.

BTW, has anyone received their order from USA Gundam yet? If so, how many days did it take from confirmation email until delivery? I've checked the tracking link a couple of times and it's still stuck on "pre-shipment." Getting antsy!

Painting all the way. For the very reasons Hunk of Junk indicated. Plus some of the colors of the decals aren't quite what I want. I will use as many as the little decals are possible, but panels are just too big of any area and they aren't completely flat either (pipes, raised areas etc...)

I got my order within 3 days of receiving notice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I'm going to paint my panels. I look at some of the older models on my shelf -- the ones that are 15-20 years old now -- and some have peeling or yellowing decals even though they were sealed under finish coats. I painted on the registry markings on my 1/350 TOS-E and I'm constantly amazed how great they look. I'll never have to worry about them cracking or peeling. Besides, to me the chipped panel decals seems a little like cheating. Even some simple scraping with an X-acto can make good chipping effects pretty easily.

BTW, has anyone received their order from USA Gundam yet? If so, how many days did it take from confirmation email until delivery? I've checked the tracking link a couple of times and it's still stuck on "pre-shipment." Getting antsy!
I got mine from them. I didn't get a shipping email at all, but it showed up just the same!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I prefer painting the various color panels and any stripe type markings I can

• It is much easier to weather and blend in
• I don't have to worry about oil washes etc lifting them up or messing them up
• Putting large decals on complex surfaces can be a real pain
• And as mentioned by Hunk a Junk, I don't have to worry about the decals curling up and yellowing 20 years later

I typically only use decals that are lettering or other markings that are nearly impossible to do by hand

The most complicated masking job I ever had to do was for the Fine Molds 1/72 Jedi Starfighter and HyperspaceRing. However I am glad I did it

Yeah. I suppose for the sake of longevity painting them on is a better method. Still looking at some reference material it looks like they replicated the chipping pattern from the 5 footer pretty accurately. Just goes to show you how obsessive Bandai was when designing this model. While I probably will paint them on I may still use them as reference material when adding my chipping detail.

I was surprised at the color of the red panel decals. Much brighter red than I feel like they should actually be.

I was surprised at the color of the red panel decals. Much brighter red than I feel like they should actually be.

Weathering will knock down the red alot.

My rule on any model build is...if it can be painted, it's painted. If it can only be done with decals, then it's decals later covered in a protective varnish.

Last edited:

I'm going to go the decal route. I've had good luck with decals, so I'm not gun shy. Besides, I'm 76, so I won't be around long enough to see them do any naughty stuff.

As to the shipping info from USAGundam goes - I have checked my tracking number they sent, and it still shows that USPS just received the info, not the package. So don't plan on a quick arrival. If they had a driver pick-up the actual packages, he/she would have scanned them into their system as "received by USPS", that hasn't happened as far as I can see. Adam has been so good with every step of this process that I'm good with whatever happens.

For those Canucks who may have ordered from USA Gundam.
Just received my Falcon, ordered June 2. Took about a week to get here (GTA), from Florida. Be on the lookout for yours.

I got my Falcon yesterday. I haven't delved into it much beyond admiring the sprues and flipping through the instructions

I have a few questions for those who have built it or at least started on it

It seems the landing gear can displayed in a landing position or closed up fairly easy whenever you want

How about the landing ramp? is it move able are are you stuck with having to pick one of two options and then are stuck with that

Also, how easy (or not) is it to swap out the cockpit glass for the non-glass canopy version?

On the Fine Molds falcon it just kind of sat there perfectly without having to glue and was really easy

Ticking along nicely, all primed, pre-shaded and base coated. First few small assemblies made up, and cockpit and docking ring damage done. Next up the panel edge bends! 85085031-E937-4F3B-AD0F-2323A9513245.jpeg22EEE992-04E2-4623-9AE8-E34B5AFE801D.jpegEAA5E3DD-3425-4CD0-AD33-A148D21A09AA.jpegBFC03563-87F5-457E-8684-B3CFDBA0D6AF.jpeg

Looking good Paul! Can someone tell me why they meticulously recreated some of the battle damage but totally ignored other areas? It's really odd considering the amount of detail in creating this thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looking good Paul! Can someone tell me why they meticulously recreated some of the battle damage but totally ignored other areas? It's really odd considering the amount of detail in creating this thing.

Thanks kokkari, it is a a bit frustrating that the Perfect Grade isn’t exactly perfect. However the bulk of everything is there and leaves the tinkerer/perfectionist in the model maker something more to do besides just putting it together

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back