Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

A request for those who have the kit, can someone post a pic or two of the photoetch parts? I'm curious how they look compared to the molded grills.

A request for those who have the kit, can someone post a pic or two of the photoetch parts? I'm curious how they look compared to the molded grills.

I have the kit in hand (it's a commission build) but I can't post pics since Photo bucket pulled their cheap A** stunt. The photo etched grills both have their pros and cons. They're need to be able to damage and bend the louvres like it was on the original (the plastic grills are solid) but unfortunately they are rather flat and the louvres are not in an angle like real Koolshade. Bandai could have improved this by doing them in two layers. The cockpit band are pretty much the same, a bit to flat. Here's there's really no point in using the etched part. The plastic part is IMO better and very detailed and all the louvres are hollow with underlaying details showing thru.

Cheers,
Steve.

I feel really happy for you guys,....honestly.....I do.....(mumbles various swear words under my breath)

Heres some more nice pics of John Simmons' paint progress from FaceBook using Guy Cowan's Archive X paint

23435158_10157316705388868_6985830345975677294_n.jpg23244157_10157316705393868_8639506732887919101_n.jpg23316254_10157316705383868_7491173538252681747_n.jpg

ASTOUNDING!!

John

I feel really happy for you guys,....honestly.....I do.....(mumbles various swear words under my breath)

Heres some more nice pics of John Simmons' paint progress from FaceBook using Guy Cowan's Archive X paint

ASTOUNDING!!

John

That is beautiful (as were the previous pics a page back)! The Archive X paints are enamels, right? Not acrylic? They look really great. I just need to research enamels a bit more. I've typically used acrylics over the years, but my only enamel experience was with cheap Testors paint when I was young and had no idea what I was doing, or of the difference between the two types of paint.

That is beautiful (as were the previous pics a page back)! The Archive X paints are enamels, right? Not acrylic? They look really great. I just need to research enamels a bit more. I've typically used acrylics over the years, but my only enamel experience was with cheap Testors paint when I was young and had no idea what I was doing, or of the difference between the two types of paint.

Yep Syd,... Archive X are enamel paints,...although Guy is refining Acrylics for a release next year

John Simmons primed the model with Tamiya Fine Primer & has had no ill effects with the Enamel paint & the Bandai plastic

John

I did one model (a 1/144 fm falcon) and I really didn't see the benefits of it. I thought it would be a much nicer surface to apply weathering, but it didn't seem any better than acrylics.

But that was just my experience

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have the kit in hand (it's a commission build) but I can't post pics since Photo bucket pulled their cheap A** stunt. The photo etched grills both have their pros and cons. They're need to be able to damage and bend the louvres like it was on the original (the plastic grills are solid) but unfortunately they are rather flat and the louvres are not in an angle like real Koolshade. Bandai could have improved this by doing them in two layers. The cockpit band are pretty much the same, a bit to flat. Here's there's really no point in using the etched part. The plastic part is IMO better and very detailed and all the louvres are hollow with underlaying details showing thru.

Cheers,
Steve.

You don't have to upload them to puke bucket. Just click the 'insert image' button in the 'Add to the Conversation' window, and upload your photos here, along with your text.

Yep Syd,... Archive X are enamel paints,...although Guy is refining Acrylics for a release next year

John Simmons primed the model with Tamiya Fine Primer & has had no ill effects with the Enamel paint & the Bandai plastic

John

Thanks for the clarification John - much appreciated! I'll have to study up on enamels and see if I want to go that route, or wait until acrylics are available. I'm guessing ILM originally used enamels since that is what's being reproduced (Can't believe I don't know that one...). That paintwork looks so good it makes me want to give it a go with the archive enamels. Luckily I have plenty of time to research and decide.

Yeah! My Falcon has arrived in Germany! yesterday I released my Falcon from German Custom with paying a ransom :) . Got it from Darren (Tokyo Model Detective), where I already ordered some kits earlier.

So lets calculate:
- 354 Euro for the Falcon
- 62 Euro postage
- Custom hits with 97 Euros tax
(German Custom calculates around 24 % from price incl. (!) postage!)

= 513 Euros (= 595 US-Dollar =777, Australian Dollar = 67 700 Yen)

But when you open the Box an take a look on the parts, all the pain in the ass disappears immediately.
Next Problem appears: Feeling like getting the holy grail, and not having build anything for years makes you afraid to begin with this kit... :)

23316494_1628219567298886_4446742574722925469_n.jpg

Yeah! My Falcon has arrived in Germany! yesterday I released my Falcon from German Custom with paying a ransom :) . Got it from Darren (Tokyo Model Detective), where I already ordered some kits earlier.

So lets calculate:
- 354 Euro for the Falcon
- 62 Euro postage
- Custom hits with 97 Euros tax
(German Custom calculates around 24 % from price incl. (!) postage!)

= 513 Euros (= 595 US-Dollar =777, Australian Dollar = 67 700 Yen)

But when you open the Box an take a look on the parts, all the pain in the ass disappears immediately.
Next Problem appears: Feeling like getting the holy grail, and not having build anything for years makes you afraid to begin with this kit... :)

View attachment 771957

Awesome man, awesome :) Makes me wonder, how much custom they might add over here in Austria. Cant await to get mine since my DeAgo Falcon will be finished soon and I need another Falcon to build ;) :)

Got mine. I would have paid extra for a larger instruction book. Gonna have to figure out how to enlarge on my work printer. My eyes can't see where to put all those decals!

Man.....there is some serious work being done here. I have no idea how I'll ever be able to compete with this stuff. I swear it's gonna take me years to get it where I want it to be....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back