Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I have heard that Tamiya rattle can AS20 is a good base colour (Insignia White).
Personally, I bought two bottles of acrylic Reefer White, mixed them with a little tan and grey and I'm happy. It's a warm greyish white.

I have heard that Tamiya rattle can AS20 is a good base colour (Insignia White).
Personally, I bought two bottles of acrylic Reefer White, mixed them with a little tan and grey and I'm happy. It's a warm greyish white.

Yep a few pages ago:

astroboy said:
viewpost-right.png

Out of curiosity, we've now seen AS-20, The DOA paints and now archive-x paints for the base coats.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

So far, I really liked the as-20 I used on my 1/144. It seemed quite white, which I liked for that scale.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I asked John Simmons about the comparison between the AS-20 & the Archive X Reefer White, he says they are a very good match for a base coat,....I can't comment on the DOA paints, I don't know anyone who has used them

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamiya AS-20 is a great color choice IMHO. Problem is that a spray bomb doesn't get fine coverage around small details and greebles. In this and smaller scales of SW models it doesn't work well for me. You can decant the spray can into a bottle but that is one more inconvenient step.

I Mix my own with Tamiya acrylic jar paint. A ratio of about 2 parts White to 1 part deck tan. Looks fantastic to me and much more convenient airbrushing and getting into small detailed areas with a low pressure airbrush. I used this mix or variations of it on most my Star Wars models.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
cb23a1c2eb8dce5300bb6b603f64ceb1.jpg
860ae6a6e27e5eab602ae69ffb981689.jpg

Yeah, that combo of Tamiya paint has never let me down, literally just mixed some up last night for the X Wing I'm working on. Definitely what I'll go with on the Falcon as well.

The only thing I've ever run into that was an issue, and others have mentioned this as well, is that it can look a little cold or blue-ish over black primer. The last time I used it I mixed some brown in with my second primer coat and it made the base coat much warmer, worked out great.

What about Vallejo's Insignia White? I can post a pic later, but I used it on a small Revell Star Destroyer snap kit awhile back, and it looks similar to what you are sharing.

Fully Built and awaiting PAINTING/WEATHERING.

The model has some weight to it! The lights go on individually. You can have the engine and cabin lights on without the landing gear and entrance lamps on...etc.Unlike the brittle plastic of the fine molds kit, the plastic has some give but care must be taken when removing the delicate pipe work from the sprue.

The cockpit lighting is true to the lighting of the cockpit as seen in Star Wars...in scale and believable , unlike in Empire when it was lit like a Christmas tree.

[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/onc1qx.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/pDKe1e.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/jmTJpK.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/923/2icumV.jpg[/URL]
[url]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/924/qx9Ywg.jpg[/URL]
Solo, did you do the whole thing over the weekend? LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah, that combo of Tamiya paint has never let me down, literally just mixed some up last night for the X Wing I'm working on. Definitely what I'll go with on the Falcon as well.

The only thing I've ever run into that was an issue, and others have mentioned this as well, is that it can look a little cold or blue-ish over black primer. The last time I used it I mixed some brown in with my second primer coat and it made the base coat much warmer, worked out great.

It looks blue-ish until yo start to add the weathering. Then it looks perfect.

IMHO, a lot of the newer "falcon basecoat" paints out there look too brown. Where do you go from there?

I had great success with using Vallejos White Grey as a base on my 1/144 Falcon. I shot it with a few hits of Insignia White (Vallejo) in heavily detailed areas as well afterwards. It worked great!
Bandai 1/144 TFA Millenium Falcon https://imgur.com/a/tkSZN

For my PG Falcon I'll be using Archive X paints [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So here's a question. I apologize if it's been covered. I think I got lucky with my last Bandai 1/144 Falcon and happened to use automotive primer under the AS-20 lacquer as people have said that the paint will crack over Bandai plastic. Has anyone tried using conventional primer such as Tamiya fine under the AS-20?

I've sprayed AS-20 over lots of different primers, including Tamiya, on a bunch of Bandai models. Never had a problem. I've also sprayed straight onto the plastic with no issues. I thought it was oil thinners or something that was causing the cracked plastic for some people?

Maybe you are right and it was the oil thinners. I used oil oderless terpenoid on top of the AS-20 on a Bandai model and it held up fine. It's pretty robust.

For what it is worth, I have used Weber Oderless Turpenoid directly on unpainted Bandai plastic that has had nothing more than a coat of matte varnish and have had no ill effects

I've used straight AS-20 with no primer coat along with oil washes thinned with Weber Oderless Turpenoid on some of my Bandai 1/72 X-wings with no ill effects

I typically use Army Painter primers and have never had an issue with any Tamiya brands so far except for one incident....

recently I was matte varnishing a Bandai 1/72 Cosmo Falcon where I sprayed the bottom with AS-16 over an Army Primer Black base coat, applied some oils to it, but when I then tried spraying a varnish on it, the paint and the paint cracked. I sanded a bit and resprayed over it, and it was fine.

I had used that paint from the same can along with an extra layer of AS-20 and that same varnish on my Fine Molds falcon and had no problem. One difference here was that I put on an unusually thick coat of the AS-16 (by accident due to using a spray can ).

Maybe it was not fully dry and had some reaction or the varnish was too "hot" since I also sprayed it a little heavy handed as well? I did encounter a similar issue on my moebius BSG 1/72 using the same varnish spray over just plain army primer white that had been weathered with oils. It wasn't all over,, just in a few spots.

So I suspect it is more the varnish's fault

Although just this past Saturday I picked up some Windsor Newton water-mixable oil paints

Yes, they are true oil paints, the only difference is they can be thinned and cleaned with water instead of Weber Oderless Turpenoid or similar

I figured I would give them a try since it is a non-toxic alternative to turpenoid or turpentine and you still potentially get the same results

OK,....some more pics on FaceBook of my mate John Simmons progress,.....looking great so far

View attachment 771613View attachment 771614View attachment 771615View attachment 771616View attachment 771617View attachment 771618View attachment 771619View attachment 771620View attachment 771621

I can't wait till next year.....or sometime till I get this

John

Looks great! Especially like the rust and dent work on the engine vents.

As for you not getting this kit until next year... that doesn't work for me. You're one of the top resident Falcon experts here and I can't wait that long to see you building one of these (and stealing your best ideas)! Dude, go start a GoFundMe page. I'll put in $10! :cheers:lol

Looks great! Especially like the rust and dent work on the engine vents.

As for you not getting this kit until next year... that doesn't work for me. You're one of the top resident Falcon experts here and I can't wait that long to see you building one of these (and stealing your best ideas)! Dude, go start a GoFundMe page. I'll put in $10! :cheers:lol

Ha Thanks Hunk a Junk,....not an expert,,...just unhealthily obsessed:cheers

The plan is.....to gonna finish my DeAgo & sell it....hopefully,....& maybe my FineMolds

John

I had great success with using Vallejos White Grey as a base on my 1/144 Falcon. I shot it with a few hits of Insignia White (Vallejo) in heavily detailed areas as well afterwards. It worked great!
Bandai 1/144 TFA Millenium Falcon https://imgur.com/a/tkSZN

For my PG Falcon I'll be using Archive X paints [emoji173][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That white grey looks pretty nice on the falcon. Is it just the lighting in the photo's or does it have a warmish yellowish/tanish tint to it?

That touch of yellow or tan that so many SW vehicles have is important to me, cause it really gives it that weatherbeaten aged left out in the sun to long look that just makes SW vessels seem all the more authentic.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back