Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

the parts are bound together by the force applied by the snaps, gluing instead of snap-fitting could interfere with the balance of the force, causing unpredictable problems.

I think Star Wars has taken its hold on you.

I always prime after assembly with a darker color than the base color. Than the base coat (top coat) gets frosted over creating very nice shadows, depth, and variations.

I need to figure out my mistakes when black-basing because the few times I've done it the lighter topcoat ends up with a bluish tint.

Fair enough. Wife and kids demand priority though. Anyway the Japanese shipping service notified me last weekend that they had received the MF.

I'm sure you had legitimate pressing needs that caused a distraction, but to me your statement reads: "She was on the bed with her clothes off, but I had chores to do." :p

Interesting. Are both the top and bottom photos painted using an underlying black primer with insignia white on top? if so, is the tonal variation a result of different lighting?

I always prime after assembly with a darker color than the base color. Than the base coat (top coat) gets frosted over creating very nice shadows, depth, and variations.

Did this on 1/144 Bandai Falcon, here's an example

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/3dde367d5fff6d6d24b072626334dcb0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170911/4135ae3b5ef936423481a0017a435de8.jpg

I pre ordered my perfect grade MF kit from gundamusa back in may with a "summer release" date but havent seen it yet. Anyone that pre ordered from them get their kit yet?

I pre ordered my perfect grade MF kit from gundamusa back in may with a "summer release" date but havent seen it yet. Anyone that pre ordered from them get their kit yet?

Me too. And no. I think I heard their supply isn't coming until October. We should have them around Halloween.

I was just thinking as I once again perused photos of the parts that it's a good thing there's next to no flash on the parts - I wouldn't know what to trim and what was detail because they got every little nuance replicated.

As the greeblies are multi-layered, I chose to prime some areas in grey before attaching eveything.
The state in this photo might convey how the greeblies on this side are assembled.

View attachment 758096

The kit is more like building a 1:350 battleship than building a 1:72 aircraft.

Oh hell.... the more photos I see of this thing, the more I drool.

Anyone know where I can sell a kidney? Asking for a friend....

I need to figure out my mistakes when black-basing because the few times I've done it the lighter topcoat ends up with a bluish tint.
I use Tamiya acrylics and have not had that problem. I don't use black (which may have some blue component) but dark grey like XF-66.

Long ago I tried using a black Sharpie maker to pre-dawn panel lines, these did turn blueish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Interesting. Are both the top and bottom photos painted using an underlying black primer with insignia white on top? if so, is the tonal variation a result of different lighting?
Not black but a dark grey, in this case Tamiya XF-66. the topcoat was a custom mixed Tamiya Insignia White.

Another name for this technique is called "black basing" or "pre-shading". There are YouTube videos out there.

I'll often only cover recessed and detail areas rather than a full dark coat. I also put it on thin and can get into tiny recessed areas.

The topcoat of white is applied lightly and built up in layers to get the desired effect. This creates nice shadows and variations across the surface adding to a weathered and faded appearance.

Here's a pic of the dark grey pre-shade.

5534c15220d7c5dd904ed6d585cbf64f.jpg

Done a little more subtle on my Snowspeeder.
743b67f9fcf670131bc202704a895f4d.jpg

Yes, also mine, but after the discoloration process with oils the cold tint disappear. It works like a filter. I have made all my SW Bandai models with the black primer base, and the results were pretty good.

Like this:
IMG_0094.JPG

I prefer pre-shading with matte black (Tamiya XF-1) and then going over the whole thing in Insignia White. Of course I haven't got this Bandai kit, this is just what I did with my DeAgostini Falcon. I assume you would get the same results...

20170612_181028.jpg 20170613_185213.jpg 20170614_012126.jpg

There have been some "heated" discussions about preshading on the Falcon. Suffice to say, the "don't do it" faction had very strong arguments. I won't with mine.

I agree. Pre-shading is most often used on models to give them that classic "model contest" look. Dry-brushing was in this category for a long time too, but has been in the mainstream for decades now. I like using a dark wash liner to pop out details in a more subtle way. To each her/his own.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back