Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I kinda feel like the PG Falcon is a sort of RPF graduate thesis! I was scanning back through old threads looking for reference photos and even back before Bandai announced the kit there were members like Haystack Hair, Jaitea, and countless others working out the 5-footer's dimensions, identifying donor parts, figuring out colors, etc. By this fall, I felt like I knew every inch of the model (I didn't) and had a good idea of exactly how it was originally made (I was way off). Then to see Mark Myers's work and Kokarri and Lab and JoeCS (way too many to name)... well, I for one am grateful to all the people whose ideas I'm am so ruthlessly stealing! Seriously, I'm just trying to keep up. Darth Saber is crushing the bottom hull. I spent maybe a half hour comparing my paint job on the antenna quadrant to Lab's this morning and finally hating him for getting more things right than me! I mean this sincerely, whatever I am doing right on this kit is the culmination of about a hundred other modelers' hard work. It's definitely a team effort. So thanks to everyone for upping my game. I'll do my best to return the favor. I'm having a blast!
:cheers

I am also in agreement and having a blast with all these fellow 5’ Falcon nuts!!! In fact I have been fine tuning my Build even more because of the talented guys here! I am probably going to purge the engine lighting to go with the 5’ reference all the way! As well as replacing my cockpit interior with the 5 footers!!

Last edited:

The seam between the upper and lower halves of the cockpit cone. I separated the lower half of the cone from the rest of the cockpit tube so I could glue the cone together as one piece, like the way its molded on the MPC. Here you can see the two strips I had to add to make sure the cone was flush when put back against the tube.

Hrm. I was hoping to avoid having to do any surgery like that. Hm hm...

FALCONonWHITE2.jpgFALCONonWHITE4.jpgFALCONonWHITE1.jpgFALCON ON BLACK 22000.jpgFALCONonWHITE52000.jpgFALCONHUGE22000.jpgFALCONonWHITE3.jpgFALCON_REAR.jpg

Hi there. My name is Erik and I'm new to the board, Just wanted to share photos of my recently finished Ban Dai P.G. Falcon model. I am sooooo glad they made such a spot-on version of my favorite SW vessel. It was a whopper to assemble and paint, but well worth it. I look forward to seeing others' work here! Thanks for having me.

Attachments

• FALCONonWHITE5.jpg
    FALCONonWHITE5.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 259
  • FALCONHUGE1.jpg
    11.6 MB · Views: 161
  • FALCON ON BLACK 2.jpg
    FALCON ON BLACK 2.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 238
Last edited:

View attachment 791747

Hi there. My name is Erik and I'm new to the board, Just wanted to share photos of my recently finished Ban Dai P.G. Falcon model. I am sooooo glad they made such a spot-on version of my favorite SW vessel. It was a whopper to assemble and paint, but well worth it. I look forward to seeing others' work here! Thanks for having me.
Dude! I'm in love! I love how you did this with real world weathering. She's a dirty dirty bird! Great photo too!

Thanks Mike! I played in the mud a lot when I was a kid, and it stuck. :) Actually, I've always been into the art of weathering and distressing, so for me, that's the easiest (and funnest part). I appreciate the comments. Glad you like it. You have one of these babies?

This photo is my favorite! It looks real, and for the scale I can't believe it! Do you have a watercolor effect on the photos?

I take my photos in RAW, and when processing them the grain reduction can give a slight "watercolor" appearance, which I don't mind.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on taking some new pictures tomorrow in crisp sunlight, which I hope to post here if they come out well. Stay tuned.

Thanks Mike! I played in the mud a lot when I was a kid, and it stuck. :) Actually, I've always been into the art of weathering and distressing, so for me, that's the easiest (and funnest part). I appreciate the comments. Glad you like it. You have one of these babies?

Most definitely. I finished it last month. It's buried in this thread.
3X1A1386.jpg

Most definitely. I finished it last month. It's buried in this thread.
View attachment 791759

Sweetness! How long did you work on yours? I was having heart palpitations when I first opened the box in back in early November. It became addictive though. I have wanted a Falcon model for decades but wanted to wait till there was a really high quality likeness. I finally got my wish. :)

Sweetness! How long did you work on yours? I was having heart palpitations when I first opened the box in back in early November. It became addictive though. I have wanted a Falcon model for decades but wanted to wait till there was a really high quality likeness. I finally got my wish. :)
Congratulations. It took me about a month and a half to finish. When I get passionate about something I get crazy to the point of my wife and kid's relationship demise Lol. I love this model, I honestly wish it was twice as big believe it or not. I would pay.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

View attachment 791747View attachment 791753

It's beautiful,.....as Kokkari said, she looks like a real ship.....better than the full size prop....& in these photos you can see how sleek & beautiful this model is,....compared to the previous high side wall kits of the past

J

It's beautiful,.....as Kokkari said, she looks like a real ship.....better than the full size prop....

I also think the artistry looks better than the original in many ways.
To me, the Falcon in the film doesn't look as though it's in a "worse" state than most other vehicles that appear in the ANH.
I think this interpretation better concurs with Luke's (and Leia's) first comments on the Falcon.

Really great work, Erik! Most people, when they deviate from what ILM did all those years ago, end up with characterless messes, but your paintwork is quite convincingly good. Do you have any paint and weather tutorials describing your approach?

I love your interpretation of the ship, Erik! It looks the way I wish the Falcon had looked in TFA and TLJ had the current producers actually had courage. It's also a good reminder that it's easy to get dogmatic about painting the Falcon exactly the way ILM did. This looks fantastic! :cheers

Hey everyone,

All of your builds are amazing! I'm working on a bed for my kid and need some assistance..

I'm wanting to create a 9'x12' vinyl mural for the background of the millennium falcon. The mural will need to capture the red outlined area of the picture below with an angle similar to the picture I took of the bed. The resolution will need to be high due to the fact the image will be stretched 9' tall by 12' wide. I want to crop the ship onto a view from space with stars and the Earth. If anyone could help with at least a large image of the falcon it would be much much appreciated.
Attachment 787919

Attachment 788561

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back