Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm not going to be using the AS-20 can for my base because I want more control, so will be using a mix of Tamiya paints that I can airbrush. I have a handy-dandy app on my phone that calculates paint mixes and to match the old Floquil Insignia White, it recommends Tamiya white and flesh, so those of you who want to go that route, maybe try flesh instead of deck tan for your tint.

I have a handy-dandy app on my phone that calculates paint mixes and to match the old Floquil Insignia White, it recommends Tamiya white and flesh, so those of you who want to go that route, maybe try flesh instead of deck tan for your tint.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

(i.e. - cool, what is this app?)

I'm not going to be using the AS-20 can for my base because I want more control, so will be using a mix of Tamiya paints that I can airbrush. I have a handy-dandy app on my phone that calculates paint mixes and to match the old Floquil Insignia White, it recommends Tamiya white and flesh, so those of you who want to go that route, maybe try flesh instead of deck tan for your tint.

I think that is my biggest drawback to the AS-20 route. I was just spraying some on a different model today, and wound up with way to thick of a coat in many places. As I have been using the airbrush more and more I really am finding it difficult to use rattle cans control wise on anything except large flat areas. The last thing I want is to obscure the fine details in the maintenance pits/wells because I was trying to get good coverage

I think that is my biggest drawback to the AS-20 route. I was just spraying some on a different model today, and wound up with way to thick of a coat in many places. As I have been using the airbrush more and more I really am finding it difficult to use rattle cans control wise on anything except large flat areas. The last thing I want is to obscure the fine details in the maintenance pits/wells because I was trying to get good coverage
I vented a can to use with my airbrush and it was awesome. You also use a LOT less paint.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

(i.e. - cool, what is this app?)
It’s called iModelKit. It has a swatch of pretty much every model paint known to man, along with comparison charts and a mix calculator. You can also scan colors to make matches, you can keep paint inventory, and it has a scale calculator.
Like I said - handy-dandy :)

That’s among my concerns as well. Using a primer for the Tamiya jar paint may thicken things, but I’ve had good success with Stynylrez and I might consider using their yellow to ensure keeping away from a bluish hue in the base coat. I’ve put down very thin coats of Stynylrez and it levels beautifully. I’m pretty set on using a primer as I’m concerned about adhesion, particularly with the masking that will need to be done. With some test shots of my mix, I have high hopes to getting the base I want. I mentioned using flesh tone instead of deck tan as I thought it might be a better alternative. We’ll see. With the variety of colors Stynylrez comes in, I might consider using different ones for different areas of the ship for different tonal variations.

I noticed my bottle of Future had yellowed, but it turned out it was the plastic of the bottle! It is near 30 years old...

Regards, Robert

Wow I just looked up that imodelkit app. It looks way better than the one I was using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still a long way from having a Falcon kit of any film version (long since got rid of my disappointing MPC model). At the rate everyone's builds are going, I may end up with both ANH and ESB versions... :behave I'm most annoyed that none of the most recent reference books show the tripod gear configuration or the ANH cockpit. I don't like to utterly retcon the ANH configuration out of existence. I'd be happier with the notion that Han managed to upgrade in the three years between the films, with access to the Rebellion's resources, to accomplish missions and such. Larger cockpit so if he and Chewie had anyone else in there with them, they wouldn't be breathing down their necks. And the lower-forward quarter repaired at some point with the extra gear-boxes (for hard landings and/or redundancy in case the repulsorlifts failed). I like both the streamlined look of the ANH version... and the balanced look of the ESB version. *sigh*

Thus I've been closely following all the back-and-forth on here about colors, painting methods, lighting methods, weathering methods -- and degree. Actual-miniature-appearance versus lit-and-filtered on-screen appearance is an age-old and far too familiar headache for me, too. I've come to the viewpoint that space would wash out colors in its own way, different from distance haze here on Earth. So I tend toward an approach of "stronger colors than it looks on screen, but not necessarily the same amount of weathering or the particular strong colors the miniature has under normal lighting conditions" This is about the most extreme case of the difference between the "live-versus-Memorex" factor I've seen:

The USS Centuar from Deep Space Nine, as it appeared on screen...

centaur-screen.jpg

...and the actual miniature...

uss_centaur_top.jpg

Iiiiii... think I'm going to aim for more of a happy medium. But. As I grind away on my backlog, accumulated over about ten moves in as many years, I expect a nonzero number of my Star Trek and Star Wars models will cause a bit of polarization in opinions. *heh* For the Falcon, I'm probably going to be doing a bit of experimenting on scrap plastic first. Including probably using every variation on AS-20, Reefer White, and the various mixes people have come up with for the base hull and the armor plates to help subtly lend to the patchwork repairs the ship has gotten over time -- not randomly, but with all due diligence from poring over the wonderful reference you guys have posted to deduce the likliest approach.

So thank you all in advance. :D

--Jonah

I've never used lacquer in an airbrush. The idea of decanting Tamiya is appealing but I'd like some pointers on what to use for cleaning the airbrush.

I'm most annoyed that none of the most recent reference books show the tripod gear configuration or the ANH cockpit. I don't like to utterly retcon the ANH configuration out of existence.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, but the new Chronicles book from Japan has about 10 pages of beautiful high-res photos of the 3 geared falcon. In fact I don't think one photo appears of the modified 5 foot falcon in the book.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've never used lacquer in an airbrush. The idea of decanting Tamiya is appealing but I'd like some pointers on what to use for cleaning the airbrush.
I second that. How would you clean it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, but the new Chronicles book from Japan has about 10 pages of beautiful high-res photos of the 3 geared falcon. In fact I don't think one photo appears of the modified 5 foot falcon in the book.

Sorry, I meant the in-universe reference. The Millennium Falcon 3D Owner's Guide and the Hanes Manual that came out a year later. They show the 5-gear-box version as standard. No mention of the 3-box version. And the cockpit is just the cockpit -- ESB depth with no commentary about its size.

Acetone works great. Which mainly a laquer thinner is made of.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My kit has arrived in the uk, so I should have it shortly. On another note, the one drive link to the 5ft reference photos is dead (at least for me?), anyone else with a decent link to a good photo library?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back