AVP 3 - Do's and Don'ts

BadbloodNC

Hey Guys, I wanted to construct a list of what filmmakers should do and not do when AVP3 is green lighted.

Do's:

-Show a victorious predator win over the Alien's. The last two films, we understand that the predator hunts the aliens as a ceremonial passage. This idea was long before in the Darkhorse comicbook series, as well as the novels. So stop killing off the predator, and show me something I haven't seen before.
-Make it a R rated film

Don't
-make the dvd quality too Dark like AVP-R; it's not scary anymore...the fanbase for both films have been around forever; we're not going to see these films b/c of how scary it is...
-Limit the human story line, all they do is really make up the dialogue between the two species, so come up with something that doesn't make me want the alien or predator to kill them outright (think the teenage drama in AVP-r); introduce some colonial marines...don't drag me through another 30min of dialogue "what is going on here"
-Introduce a red band trailor...for g'sake, the AVP-R trailer just about showed everything worth seeing in 2minutes...come up with a clever way to market your film

Add your own ideas Do's and Don'ts

AVP-R basically gets you what you wish for: alien slaughter (even the finaly is a tie at worst), R-rated, shows you creatures from the waist up just minutes in the film (though overall the film was too dark and lacked sharpness both in cinema and on DVD, while the internettrailers were superb in quality).
It has a piss poor excuse of a human interaction/story on the background (Two dimensional would be overrated, let's make that one dimensional characters) to show us creatures and more creatures.

So, the only point I actually agree with you upon is: make a trailer that doesn't give away 90% of your cool scenes. As with gamedemo's, I'd be rather interested if you have a short experience that isn't in the final product, but lets you have a big sniff of what is in it. (For games: a seperate level which won't be in the final game, for films: a standalone scene which is part of the storyarch, just not in the final film)

Do:
-Make good characters and give them space to function
-invest in proper actors
-invest in proper suits for the creatures (and goddamned, don't give them only 6 weeks to build full suits...)
-invest in proper screenplay
-invest in proper cameramen
-build suspension and pacing. The old films were that good because they let the play roll itself out in time, not rush it through...

Don't:
-have standarised fights, allow us to root for the underdog and vary in mortality rate.
-knibble on budget
-settle for easy scores but fight for the big price
-let Anderson or the Strausses near...

I agree with skullslpitter on getting good actors. The ones from AVP-R made me glad when they were killed just so I wouldnt see them anymore.

Pick a winner. If you bill the movie Whoever wins we lose. Dont have a human be the only damn survivor.

Stop trying to re-invent Ripley. AVP had the survivalist and AVP-R had the super enlisted women who could drive armored vehicles and fly helicopters.

Do:
Show more of the Predator homeworld (the scene with the Wolf on his planet was only 54 seconds).
Have a Predator survive victorious and return home with trophies.
Make it Rated R with more bonus content available on the DVD. Maybe an alternate ending to boot!

Don't:
Have a storyline that takes place on Earth. Let's go to another planet and hunt.

All i can say is just make a better movie....please.The other ones arent half bad.Just visit the boards and listen to the fans.

I think the mystery about predator character should be preserved!like in P1! I wouldn't like to know much about their world, customs or other thinks what will kill all the mystery!
in case will be another movie ,they never should place the action in cold places (like in AVP) ,it's very known the fact the predators appear in the " most hot summers time" and not walk naked in the cold of north pole like they don't care a damn!
never shoul use the sentence "ugly mother ******" again! twice is enough!

AND ;they should ask me before they do the film! ;)

Do:
-Have all three directors: Ridley Scott, James Cameron, John Mctiernan, and even Stephan Hopkins come together with the orginal story writers of the alien and predator movies.
-Bring the story to the FUTURE (colonial marines, pulse rifles, off world colonies, etc.
-A solid story line
-Good actors
-Good script
-Follow with the "Whoever wins, we loose" concept and not have only the humans live.
-Have a good budget to be able to get all of these things
-Show more predator stuff. Inside of ships, governing body, colonies, etc.
-USE GIGER'S ORIGINAL ALIEN DESIGN/COSTUME AND NOT ANY DESIGN ANYWHERE SIMILAR TO THE RESURRECTION OR AVP ALIEN BECAUSE THEY ALL SUCK A @#*%&^ (this is the MOST important thing for me)
-Have it about 2 hours long

Don't
-Bring the fight to earth. EVER, cause the antarctica, or small peaceful town **** DOES NOT WORK!
-Don't get any other directors other than the most prestigious of directors
-Have actors that are ****** ass no names.

There is probably a lot more than this but this is all I can think off...

do : show as some retired predators playing cards in a park under the mars's sun, predator's kid playing with toy weapons ,old predator womens milking some aliens queens! dutch and his entire crew slaves on predator's planet , working on the rice fields! etc etc ! ;)

do : show as some retired predators playing cards in a park under the mars's sun, predator's kid playing with toy weapons ,old predator womens milking some aliens queens! dutch and his entire crew slaves on predator's planet , working on the rice fields! etc etc ! ;)
I second that!

How about Predator, the Musical? Playing on Broadway, starring Patrick Stewart as the Predator and Ian McKellan as the Queen. Whoever sings, we lose...

This falls under the DON'T category

How about Predator, the Musical? Playing on Broadway, starring Patrick Stewart as the Predator and Ian McKellan as the Queen. Whoever sings, we lose...

This falls under the DON'T category

Where can I buy tickets? Man that sounds awesome!

DO:
-Have character development. (Everyone is contributing part of the failure to bad acting - the acting wasn't bad, it was the lack of well written characters that was bad. No name actors I think are what the movie needs... but no movie flies with poorly written characters.)

-Have a character the audience can relate to and share the story with (whether it be human or even Predator, the audience needs to find a character they can relate/sympathize/understand to draw them into the movie. That makes the difference between watching a movie and getting into a movie.)

-Have brighter scenes. (There is no reason at all Predators cannot hunt Aliens under a bright sunny sky or a decently lit indoor scene)

-Return to the original schematics for how a Predator's face should look.

-Hint at more culture on the part of the Predator's.

-If a human/Predator on-screen co-op is going to be done, do it realistically and intelligently, not the crappy way Lex/Scar joined up and ran off together into the blaze of fire with the unfocused camera shot. How romantic. Gimme a break. The mass audience does not want to see human/Predator romance; they want to see them work together but still not trust each other. Tension and aggression but still cooperation, not instant "oooohhh what a cute little human, here let me make her a spear and shield and then run off into the fire and have an awkward moment of silence"

DON'T

-Have Arnold Schwarzenegger

-Have Danny Glover

-Have Sigourney Weaver

-Have Wynona Ryder

-Have any more renditions of Lance Henrickson either.

-Don't bring humans to the Predator homeworld.

-Don't destroy the Predator homeworld.

-Don't keep killing off the Predators all the time. Sometimes, it's OK to let the main Predator live. They *are* supposed to be the galaxy's ultimate hunters.. let them live long enough to prove it.

Where can I buy tickets? Man that sounds awesome!

DO:
-Have character development. (Everyone is contributing part of the failure to bad acting - the acting wasn't bad, it was the lack of well written characters that was bad. No name actors I think are what the movie needs... but no movie flies with poorly written characters.)

-Have a character the audience can relate to and share the story with (whether it be human or even Predator, the audience needs to find a character they can relate/sympathize/understand to draw them into the movie. That makes the difference between watching a movie and getting into a movie.)

-Have brighter scenes. (There is no reason at all Predators cannot hunt Aliens under a bright sunny sky or a decently lit indoor scene)

-Return to the original schematics for how a Predator's face should look.

-Hint at more culture on the part of the Predator's.

-If a human/Predator on-screen co-op is going to be done, do it realistically and intelligently, not the crappy way Lex/Scar joined up and ran off together into the blaze of fire with the unfocused camera shot. How romantic. Gimme a break. The mass audience does not want to see human/Predator romance; they want to see them work together but still not trust each other. Tension and aggression but still cooperation, not instant "oooohhh what a cute little human, here let me make her a spear and shield and then run off into the fire and have an awkward moment of silence"

DON'T

-Have Arnold Schwarzenegger

-Have Danny Glover

-Have Sigourney Weaver

-Have Wynona Ryder

-Have any more renditions of Lance Henrickson either.

-Don't bring humans to the Predator homeworld.

-Don't destroy the Predator homeworld.

-Don't keep killing off the Predators all the time. Sometimes, it's OK to let the main Predator live. They *are* supposed to be the galaxy's ultimate hunters.. let them live long enough to prove it.
Art thou single? ;)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back