Avengers: Age of Ultron (Pre-release)

So, uhhh, who's the black chick that gonna take a swim in the cave?

Not sure but my guess would be one of the Dora Milaje or at the very least a Wakandan member? She does look African

xcq9acb3evohlcsodkmj.jpg

Don't like this variation of the "Got no strings on me" music from the first trailer... but overall this movie is going to be INSANE!!! Marvel owens the comic book movie universe. DC would be better off just waiting until Marvel has lost its momentum and then catch fans on the rebound with the start of a whole new universe. They don't stand a chance of competing against Marvel for the next 3-5 years.

Don't like this variation of the "Got no strings on me" music from the first trailer... but overall this movie is going to be INSANE!!! Marvel owens the comic book movie universe. DC would be better off just waiting until Marvel has lost its momentum and then catch fans on the rebound with the start of a whole new universe. They don't stand a chance of competing against Marvel for the next 3-5 years.

What would save the DC franchise, honestly, is not only a reboot of the whole thing, including Superman, but also getting away from the "gritty realism" style of moviemaking. Gritty realism is good for properties like Sin City, Batman, and even Kick-Ass, but for DC, you want the iconic superhero style with rich colors, OTT superhero fights, and classic good-vs-evil.

I like the "gritty realism"... it works when done right. It doesn't need to be like The Punisher War Zone gritty with heads exploding, but I could do without the ridiculously rich colors. I like the darker, somewhat muted colors.

A recurring theme on the Marvel side is how the "heroes" are also, in a way, part of the problem. The catastrophic damage that results from their "super battles" makes them a little less heroic. Yes, at the end of the day (or movie) they've saved the city/country/world... and you can question that the outcome would almost definitely been worst had they not been there... but like the real world, people are always left with the question of "what if?" while they're standing in a pile of rubble wondering who's going to clean up the "super mess".

I think the darker, more realistic color schemes are somehow a good reflection of this. Maybe that's stupid to equate the costume color schemes to all that but in my head it works.

On the whole DC thing... *thinks* Realism is good. Doesn't need to be "gritty", necessarily. One thing I'd like to see is correcting for the fact that DC avoided use of real world cities and each hero was in their own little isolated universe until the '60s and they started crossing over. There was no "DC Universe" for quite some time. The whole thing needs to be laid out to determine what a DC Cinematic Universe would be, and nudge the places into line with the real world. Metropolis and Gotham are New York (Manhattan and Long Islands, respectively), Star City I think works best as Chicago, Keystone City and Central City fill the niche of the two sides of Kansas City, Coast City is approximately Los Angeles or Santa Barbara, and so on...

Mainly I want to see people who know how to write archetypes and myth given the reins on Superman and Wonder Woman. Flash, Green Arrow and Lantern, Batman -- they're all real people with their own various baggage, all stepping up to be heroes. It's a difference of approach. The Captain America movies were made with an understanding that the perfect paragon is boring, so they've made the arc be about Bucky and Cap's lifelong love for his friend. Superman would need a similar humanizing element or he'll be unrelatable. Wonder Woman needs to be handled a bit like Thor -- the demigod having to come to terms with our world and potentially being humbled in the process of becoming a better being. The human heroes would need to be handled like Iron Man, Spider-Man, the first couple Nolan Batman films... They have to overcome themselves as much as any adversary.

And one thing I'd like to see in both Marvel and DC... Please stop killing off the villains after one appearance. I had really, really hoped that Iron Man 2 would end with: Tony having realized Vanko's motivation after going through his father's effects and the S.H.I.E.L.D. files on him and his father. At their final confrontation Tony apologizes for what his dad did to Ivan's dad. He hadn't known. Ivan is unprepared for this and listens. We see diplomacy triumph and -- as in the comics -- Vanko (albeit a different Vanko) flips and becomes an ally of Iron Man. Either as Whiplash or even the Crimson Dynamo. Wouldn't have minded him being a hole card the bad guys didn't expect in Iron Man 3.

With Man of Steel... Zod had no motivation. He gets to Earth and 1) Kal-El has the Genesis Matrix in him -- all potential future Kryptonians are embodied in Superman, so his genetic imperative would be to protect Superman and his interests; 2) Earth as it is gives him the powers of a god -- why is he wanting to terraform it into a world that will take those away...? Never mind the whole movie is disjointed as heck. I'd've loved to see it as three films.

Ship crashes on Earth, young Clark struggles to come to terms with what he can do, and his quest for self-identity, unlocks his father's message -- essentially a neural dump of Jor-El's recount of the last days of Krypton and Zod's rebellion against the Elders, ends with Clark realizing who he is and what he needs to do, tease of the costume, hints over the course of the film of past heroes (Golden Age?) and new heroes starting to appear; second starts with some crisis, Kal-El reveals himself to the world, gets dubbed Superman by Lois Lane, maybe runs into one or another of the new heroes, end-credit easter egg of Zod approaching; third film of Zod attacking, sins of the father and all that, wants to take away everything Jor-El's son has come to hold dear, heroes band together to defeat him (I like the idea of Zod accepting maybe turning Venus or Mars into a New Krypton if he really wants one, or else leaving to continue his search with a newfound respect for Jor-Els' son), and dcide to create a permanent organization to protect Earth from all threats, foreign and domestic. Standalone films or series for the other heroes would interweave with this and eventually lead to the Justice League film.

--Jonah

...places into line with the real world. Metropolis and Gotham are New York (Manhattan and Long Islands, respectively), Star City I think works best as Chicago, Keystone City and Central City fill the niche of the two sides of Kansas City, Coast City is approximately Los Angeles or Santa Barbara, and so on...

That's never bother me enough to care, but it is another element of the Marvel universe that I like better.

They have to overcome themselves as much as any adversary.

I kind of feel like most people that are suddenly endowed with incredible, super-human power would have two immediate impulses: personal gain and revenge. I'm surprised this isn't explored more with some of these characters. If I were suddenly given super strength, invulnerability, flight... my first thought would be "how can I mess with people?" followed by "How can I make a lot of money with this?" and "I wonder if the CIA would hire me to wipe out terrorism?" trailing a close third. Eventually, yes, doing good things would fall into my list.

And one thing I'd like to see in both Marvel and DC... Please stop killing off the villains after one appearance.

This is SO true. I never understood that. At least with The Flash series they seem to be saving some of the enemies rather than killing them off. But this has definitely always been a peev. How do you kill Green Goblin in the first appearance? Not to mention filling in that void with James Franco? Bleh.

With Man of Steel... Zod had no motivation. He gets to Earth and 1) Kal-El has the Genesis Matrix in him -- all potential future Kryptonians are embodied in Superman, so his genetic imperative would be to protect Superman and his interests; 2) Earth as it is gives him the powers of a god -- why is he wanting to terraform it into a world that will take those away...? Never mind the whole movie is disjointed as heck. I'd've loved to see it as three films.

Yes... this was probably one of the biggest weaknesses about the Snyder Superman story.
I think he did a decent job with the back story and showing Clark's struggles. But the Kryptonian part and Zod's plans for Earth were ridiculous.

You know, we need a Super Hero Registration Act not so we can keep track of extra powerful individuals but so we can charge them a registration fee to pay for road repairs.

Lego announced an official Helicarrier set that just barely scratches the 3,000 piece mark.

legocarrier_zpsbihltd91.jpg

Looking at this helicarrier more closely, I've made a few observations.

Does this mean that the original "64' Helicarrier from the first Avengers movie will make an appearance in Age of Ultron? There are some details worth noting.

For one thing the real mini-figures that the set comes with feature the designs that we'll see in "Age of Ultron". Hawkeye's new jacket, Captain America's new outfit and Nick Fury's civilian clothing. Now it's totally possible that Lego is taking the opportunity to include the design choices from Age of Ultron and putting them in this new set even if the film doesn't include the Helicarrier, but I've seen stranger hints. Another detail is on the Helicarrier itself with it's propulsion units that keep the Carrier in the air. They now have transparent blue blades instead of plain metallic ones and it more closely resembles the upgraded Helicarriers from Winter Soldier. Maybe 64 got a partial upgrade?

We never did find out what happened to the Helicarrier from the first Avengers movie since it was still shown airborne at the end of the Avengers and it was established that the Helicarriers in Winter Solder were 'next generation' models. Plus none of them bore the number 64 registration on their sides, so maybe that Helicarrier is still in service somewhere in secret. If they wanted the Helicarrier from the first Avenger's movie destroyed, all they'd have to do is change the phrase "next generation" to "refitted" and show one of them with the 64 number on the side. But they didn't take that route.

And it's not like the Helicarrier was some minor setting either. It played a very large role in the film and having it simply be gone just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It'd be like if the Millennium Falcon just disappeared in Empire Strikes Back and Han was flying a completely different ship with no reason given.

Lego announced an official Helicarrier set that just barely scratches the 3,000 piece mark.

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/lordJeyl/legocarrier_zpsbihltd91.jpg

Looking at this helicarrier more closely, I've made a few observations.

Does this mean that the original "64' Helicarrier from the first Avengers movie will make an appearance in Age of Ultron? There are some details worth noting.

For one thing the real mini-figures that the set comes with feature the designs that we'll see in "Age of Ultron". Hawkeye's new jacket, Captain America's new outfit and Nick Fury's civilian clothing. Now it's totally possible that Lego is taking the opportunity to include the design choices from Age of Ultron and putting them in this new set even if the film doesn't include the Helicarrier, but I've seen stranger hints. Another detail is on the Helicarrier itself with it's propulsion units that keep the Carrier in the air. They now have transparent blue blades instead of plain metallic ones and it more closely resembles the upgraded Helicarriers from Winter Soldier. Maybe 64 got a partial upgrade?

We never did find out what happened to the Helicarrier from the first Avengers movie since it was still shown airborne at the end of the Avengers and it was established that the Helicarriers in Winter Solder were 'next generation' models. Plus none of them bore the number 64 registration on their sides, so maybe that Helicarrier is still in service somewhere in secret. If they wanted the Helicarrier from the first Avenger's movie destroyed, all they'd have to do is change the phrase "next generation" to "refitted" and show one of them with the 64 number on the side. But they didn't take that route.

And it's not like the Helicarrier was some minor setting either. It played a very large role in the film and having it simply be gone just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It'd be like if the Millennium Falcon just disappeared in Empire Strikes Back and Han was flying a completely different ship with no reason given.

Not to spoil the party, but this helicarrier came from the "ideas" division of lego, it was a fan submission that made it through the process and was accepted for release, it has been in development for quite some time now, and the retail set is much less detailed than the original version, which had something like 22K bricks.... another other "ideas" release were the Ecto-1 from ghostbustera, which is a super awesome set.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back