The Phantom Menace Re-Release May 2024

Some might remember my thread from last year for our little Star Wars fan film, Darkside Story. That was made to go along with the upcoming Episode II. We filmed it all early 2002.
So just like ILM, we were also doing a ton of tests, trying out different things. Even by then, I was also still pretty infatuated from the Matrix, and wanted to include some muti-blurring effects into a light saber battle, which we did.
So I just found my four tests, which I added some sounds to. Each one is slightly different, and I wanted to see what everyone else thought looked best for the final shot. (and I found out later on, was an extreme pain in the butt for our CGI guy to animate....oops)
I'm posted here because of the ending....which I think everyone will like.

View attachment 1822113
Ending: approved.

"Bloated Yoda" looked terrible. Puppet looked good in the BTS stuff, but in the final film, so bloated and terrible. Very odd.
Likely gluten intolerant..... seriously bloated and the hair was just Einstein when he was joking around for pictures with friends. Yoda looks like an old hippy chick after giving up on bathing but I totally see your point. How can they have better bts? Maybe the behind the scenes was shot with an older puppet from another film.

Likely gluten intolerant..... seriously bloated and the hair was just Einstein when he was joking around for pictures with friends. Yoda looks like an old hippy chick after giving up on bathing but I totally see your point. How can they have better bts? Maybe the behind the scenes was shot with an older puppet from another film.
No idea. They talked about having the original molds, using them, showing off one of them(I guess) and so on.

And now just saw that Empire Strikes back is 44 years old today, the 21st. Star Wars is hitting 47 in 4 days, and Jedi 41 in 4 days as well.
Disney releasing all theirs around Christmas shows they couldn't even do it right.

And now just saw that Empire Strikes back is 44 years old today, the 21st. Star Wars is hitting 47 in 4 days, and Jedi 41 in 4 days as well.
Disney releasing all theirs around Christmas shows they couldn't even do it right.
They were hardly going to make TFA and Avengers AoU compete in May. Box office take showed their decision worked out financially well for them.

Yoda puppet looked horrible then, looks horrible now.

At least The Last Jedi got close with the puppet.
Going from the Puppet to CGI always bugged me...He went from looking older to younger. i understand why because it's kind of hard to have a puppet have a lightsaber duel but that was a mistake too in my opinion.

• "It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force...But by our skills with a Lightsaber"...Total cringe line...still makes me uncomfortable when i hear it. Almost as cringy as the lines in ROTJ in the Rebel briefing.
  • "General Solo, is your strike team ready?...ummm...not really, i havent' discussed it with anyone yet...lol...but you can count me in...me too...me three...lol(paraphrasing of course). I can't stand that dialogue.
  • People say George didn't have a clue in the OT what he would do next...well, if the PT wasn't a clue, i don't know what is because it was a mess. To this day i can't rewatch the PT, except Episode 1. I just wish George had never done it but with doing it, i wanted it to look and feel like the OT but i think that's mostly due to the generation of movies we grew up with and as much as it saddens me, it will just never feel the same way ever again and at some point i have to accept that reality...it's just been a long, hard goodbye...well, an attempt to anyways.
  • I enjoyed the hype of a new Star Wars movie coming but the standard was so high it was just never going to meet it in my eyes...i know many feel differently. The only movie/ show to recapture the imagination that was the 70s/80s to me was Stranger Things.
  • Loaded comment...forgive me...i'm emptying out...lol
Edit***Nothing tops "Somehow, palpatine returned" lol...i had to

Last edited:
They were hardly going to make TFA and Avengers AoU compete in May. Box office take showed their decision worked out financially well for them.
Yeah, just Star Wars was always a May thing with George after getting delayed the first time from 76.
I think had they released TFW in May, it still would have done great, as everyone wanted to check it out and see how a Disney SW film was going to do.

I think or Anakin's situation.
As a kid, he was a slave, but he liked to tinker and worked in a junkyard where he was able to make pods and C3PO. It was stable, he had a loving mother. Watto wasn't his father, but you can tell he liked him. Watto was strict but rewarded him when he was good.

And then the jedi "freed" him.

Now Anakin has to cut all ties and stability to this world for The Force. He leaves his mom, she gets killed. He gets his first love and it appears that the jedi used her to betray him.

What was worse? Being a slave with food on the table and a steady, stable life or a life of endless duty as a jedi?

We went from slave with friends and family to slave. I think that would break most people.

I don't disagree as this is how it's presented. It cuts to another problem I have with the prequels which is the portrayal of the Jedi Order (as PoopaPapaPalps describes in his upcoming post). I think it was a mistake to portray the Jedi as so absurdly rigid in their lifestyle. I'll admit it helps drive Anakin's antagonism but it's at the cost of making the Jedi look like the bad guys. Anakin should be the bad guy.

My issue is the reinforcement of the idea of circumstance being the ultimate deciding factor in one's fate. I certainly am not discounting that circumstance plays a role but if that's going to be the main factor for why someone turns evil, it becomes a "luck of the draw" scenario rather than a matter of succumbing to one's own failings.

Ron I don't see why there can't be room for both. I don't mind that Vader had always been a bit nasty, and that nastiness came to full bore when he finally broke bad. I'm ultimately not a fan of how it was conveyed but the idea I like. As I always understood it, the dark side was just metaphor. The series has always been from the Jedi's POV and the dark side was just what they called using the force for selfish (and evil) means. Succumbing to the dark side was just their way of saying "relinquish self-control and give in to your base desires." The Force doesn't corrupt, rather it can feed notions that do. After all, the means to physically manipulate reality by thought alone, of course is dangerous.

With the context of the six movies, I think the concept has gradients to it rather than being starkly binary; it's a sliding scale 'light side' and 'dark side.' Qui-Gon doesn't care about upholding Jedi ideals of absolute paragon thinking, Dooku wants to use his powers to affect change. It doesn't work in their time because the environment is too stifling. It all still frames Luke as being extremely important because he makes it work. He uses his abilities, despite not being the strongest and best, to affect positive change because he has people he loves and they love him back.

I think the unfortunate thing of the PT was that it made the Jedi Order look like the real bad guys rather than just in need of reform. I mean, that was kind of the point of the PT, the Jedi of this time have lost their way so much that they chase the best Jedi they've had in generations into the hands of the devil. They take a slave child, free him, fill head with all these ideas of chivalry and honor and do-good; only to tell him he has to dissociate from society and humanity for the rest of his life and treat him like a pariah (because he joined their order on a technicality) the whole time. It's utterly dehumanizing and it makes them all look like catty pricks. Who wouldn't cheer to see the whole Jedi community go up in flames if they're all like this?

There can be room for both but the bulk of it has to be on the side of personal choice in my opinion. Your description of the dark side (which I agree with) plays into that I believe. We know from the OT that Anakin had anger in him. There's your seed. The "nastiness" as you said. Actions that take place can feed that anger, perhaps even result in the turning point of his character but, it shouldn't be the actions themselves but rather Anakin's reactions to them that are the ultimate catalyst.

There's certainly play for Anakin to become frustrated with the Jedi and finding an alternative path as Dooku did. Once he gets a taste of that path however, it becomes insatiable and thus drives him toward evil. We don't have to pin it on a traumatic upbringing or the rigidity of the Jedi Order.

The idea of the Jedi driving their most powerful Knight toward the devil is a great concept but one that has to be handled meticulously well. Indeed, it's unfortunate that it was fumbled. You don't want the Jedi to look like the bad guys but that's ultimately what happened. By the end of the prequels, I was cheering for the Sith too. I should not be cheering for the bad guys instead of the good guys. It's wild that so many of us felt that way by the end of it. Anakin and Sidious should be the sole bad guys.

This is why I do not loathe these movies but am just complaining about very specific moments. Portraying the exact moments when each path choice brought the prequel characters to their ultimate OT line would be unfathomably difficult. George was using the tools he had, including other humans, to portray emotion that was readable, legible, to the common denominator viewer, the varied masses. We all interpret things differently and reading someone elses emotions and choices, when viewed first hand, is no different. The discussions could be endless over what one actor might have portrayed vs was supposed to portray while intentionally being driven to over emote (by George) in order to hand feed the audience with milestones. "This line is supposed to show the audience why Anakin begins to mistrust the Jedi" and similar. So we not only see the failures to do what George wanted but, truthfully, we could also then fall back on thinking it IS what George asked for and he just doesn't get out enough to understand modern man vs historical legendary people. He obviously thinks humor is still slapstick.

I have seen real life instances where the same horrendous tramatic event caused one person to become stronger, another to completely crumble and another to become outright intolerable. They all pointed at the same event as being life altering.

Geronimo had very very similar circumstances to Luke's where the family is killed by the troops. He pointed to that event as his main reason to forever hate the Spanish, especially the military and went full "Saw Gerrera", after. Speaking of someone in the real world who had Jedi like ability, Geronimo fits rather well.

Given the opposite, family killed by rebel forces or just randomly, Luke (as written) was intent on JOINING the empire's military and would have.

Luke's family was killed by the empire. Anakin's mother was killed by chaotic tribesmen outside the control of the empire. Anakin sees the jedi ignoring his mother's plight but sees strong government control as what could have saved her, had the empire only had a stronger presence in that sector.

I do not see this movie as a storyline failure or even a failure at all, I love the film. I believe George did what no one else could, with what he had as tools.

I agree. Life gives you defining moments. For some, it's more dramatic than others. What your response is depends on you. If Anakin was that disillusioned with the Jedi, he could've either left the order or stayed until he ranked high enough to reform it. He chose to make a deal with devil and destroy them.

EXACTLY. I almost wrote something along these lines but didn't have the words for it; thank you!! :)

The one thing I will say is that I think Anakin should have been a bit older when he fell to the Dark Side, and well into his 50's when Luke saved him.

Totally agree. He should've been in his 30's during the events of ROTS. I always thought of him as being Obi-Wan's contemporary; more a brother than the father-son dynamic we got for two of the three films. Big mistake IMHO.

Scriptwriting 101 teaches "Show, don't tell." It's true for pretty much anything related to character. Things can be told in dozens of different ways (even just an opening text crawl) but showing it is still the most emotionally impacting way.

If you wanna argue that Anakin's path to the dark side should have been something different than Lucas went with, okay. That's a valid opinion.

But any path works better if the audience can SEE his behavior patterns that lead up to it. If Anakin wasn't taking the threat of the Dark Side seriously enough, then the movie needs to make it clear that he had a history of being cavalier about threats and getting away with it. In other words it needs to show how his past history led up to his current weakness.

100%. This is the direction I would have gone. Small displays of Anakin "playing with fire" so to speak.

As for the path/reason - what is a valid reason for somebody to become Adolf H. or Stalin? That's about how evil Darth Vader was in the OT.

I don't think "Anakin failed to appreciate the threat of the Dark Side" comes near to explaining that level of evil turn. It takes something emotionally MASSIVE to do that. On a scale of 1-to-10 that takes a 10. If he was turned by anything less, then either he wasn't really such a good guy beforehand, and/or the Dark Side is so powerful that he had little free will in the matter.

This is why I think there has to be a little bit of the concept of the dark side being so powerful that it can turn you against your will because I agree, it is difficult to buy the idea of someone going from prophetic hero to a supreme villain (even through a traumatic event) without already being inherently evil. It also makes his redemption hollow if he was in control all that time he was a Sith. A good man wouldn't have done what Anakin did based on trauma. That's why there has to be something to his turn that he couldn't withstand. Something that exploited his weakness. I liken it to the One Ring. Some can resist it. Most can't. Anakin was like Isildur. Luke was more like Aragorn. Combine that with a fundamental character change that occurs slowly over the course of the trilogy that positions Anakin to be more easily corrupted and I believe you'd have had a more compelling tale of his fall.

Edit***Nothing tops "Somehow, palpatine returned" lol...i had to

I dunno, this comes close...

Twig2.gif

View attachment 1822654
Oh come on, you can't compare a hyperbolic scene to a lazy, nonchalant line of dialog...lol...besides, I was fair...I took a dig at all 3 trilogies. Back when we were kids, none of it mattered anyways. As an adult my eye rolls have increased and saying " man, that was bad" under my breath with greater frequency as well.

In my head-canon there is a missing bit of conversation in ROTJ when the good guys first land on Endor.

Han looks around at the troops. He says to Luke & Leia: "We haven't seen any signs of special op forest troops. This looks like general infantry & biker scouts. This is gonna be easier than I thought. These guys are dangerous once they see you but the helmets dull their senses. They don't have much peripheral vision. And the noise of the forest is gonna put static in their audio sensors."

Han got overconfident sneaking up that trooper because he had reason to think it would be easy. But then the branch broke under his boot (and the sound of it should have been a bit more muffled). The trooper was aware of his own limited sight & hearing which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. So he would naturally be quick to whirl around swinging when he was SURE he heard a branch snap so close behind him.

This also helps the later scene where Han taps the trooper on the shoulder & runs around the other side behind him.

And the scene where the Ewok whacks the trooper in the leg to distract him so Leia can hit him.

And it helps the whole troops-vs-Ewoks battle in general.

Last edited:
Oh come on, you can't compare a hyperbolic scene to a lazy, nonchalant line of dialog...lol...besides, I was fair...I took a dig at all 3 trilogies. Back when we were kids, none of it mattered anyways. As an adult my eye rolls have increased and saying " man, that was bad" under my breath with greater frequency as well.
when I grew up I realized that awesome giant black panther in Beast Master was just a tiger spray painted black. Then you have the awakening at some point that 90% of the movies you loved as a kid are called "B" movies.

when I grew up I realized that awesome giant black panther in Beast Master was just a tiger spray painted black. Then you have the awakening at some point that 90% of the movies you loved as a kid are called "B" movies.
What? Get out of here!!! It was spray painted black? Man...this just hit me hard...like when someone told me a few weeks ago that Santa Clause wasn't real ;) lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back