Aston Martin Vanquish (Updated 3/27)

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Canadianghandi, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

For the last semester I've been working on a big model for a school project and I figured I would throw it up on here. I'm making a 3/16 scale model (roughly 3ft) of an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish with a fellow classmate. The first picture is the desired result.

We got a Solidworks file off of GrabCAD.com for our model. All parts as of now are made using our 3-axis CNC milling centers at school. We take the files from Solidworks, put them into SurfCAM, write the toolpaths, and machine the parts.

The second picture is of the parts we have already machined. These are not paint ready, just primed to help fill in the machine marks before we sanded.

The last picture is of a partial mock assembly.

These pictures are a little out of date, i will hopefully have a better mock up picture tomorrow or next week Monday. Right now we are mostly working on prepping the surfaces of the parts for paint and fitting them together. There's still quite a bit of work left.

If you would like to see more pictures please check out my flickr account.
    Aston Martin Vanquish Model - a set on Flickr

Hope you like it,
    -Candianghandi

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  2. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Re: Aston Martin Vanquish

Now you got my attention. This is my favorite car. I must have one I told my wife. Beautiful piece of V12 Power. I have a pic on my desktop iblook at every day thinking.... Oh yes.... One day she will be mine. Nice work.... I want one.

3. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Thanks. There's still a lot of work to do and not that much time so I hope I can get it done the way I want it. We are having a few fit issues but we are waiting on a few parts to be 3-D printed before we can fully mock assemble the car and address those issues.

Just to let you know, we are looking to sell it when we are done. It's quite the expensive project.

4. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One of my favorite cars as well... looking good!

5. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Let me know when you sell it. Probably as close as I'm gonna get. Seeing as I don't have $130 grand to spare.

6. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Here are a few more up to date pictures. We have machined out vaform molds and molded most of them already. The windows are back painted acrylic to hide the no existant interior.

We did another mock assembly to prepare for fitting the windows in the next week or two. Starting to come together

7. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Man... Where were these types of classes when I was in school!? :lol

Looking really good :thumbsup

8. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Thanks.

You gotta understand though I go to a tech college for prototyping and model making. Our whole program is all about making this kind of stuff :)

9. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

Off to a good start.

OTOH, you could just get an empty display case and say that it's the one used in "Die Another Day."

:D

10. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Looks great, your shop reminds me of when i was in school. i did a clay model of a vette concept.

11. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Yeah... I don't think the teacher would like that to much :lol
    Would save me a lot of money though, we are looking at around $500 in materials when all is said and done. The material it's made out of is $15 a board ft.

I wish I was more skilled in that area. I'm pretty good with hand skills but me and carving/sculpting don't get along to well. Not to mention I'm a perfectionist, so if I have the CNC do it for me, and even then I have to touch up parts to what I think they should be like.

12. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

TBH I was kinda hoping you *weren't* going to say that. :lol It'd be * impressive for high school. Er, if it's a modelmaking course aren't you supposed to be able to produce things from scratch? Do you actually get credit for CNC parts taken from a downloaded file? This is NOT a slam by the way, sorry if it reads that way; I'm just curious. Whatever gets the job done, as they say.

Renshape or some other tooling board, yeah? Best thing ever to happen to patternmaking.

Good for you!!

13. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Tech college but same thing.

As much as I like doing things by hand on my model cars and rockets, not many professionals choose to build things from scratch, prop making is the exception. There are tons of things we have to do by hand at school, but you gotta understand companies don't pay people to make a kinda close model, or one that's not true to scale (not knocking volpin but his portal gun). If someone is spending money, they expect it to be exactly what they want.

I do get credit for CNC parts from a downloaded file. I have to write all the programs, figure out what tools can reach, how am I going to fixture it, how much time do I have to machine it, how many sides to machine it. Everyone gets the idea that the CNC just cuts things out for you but if they honestly believe that then they have no understanding of how things work.

There are so many aspects of model making, 3-D CAD models, hand formed models, molding, CNC machining, painting, the list goes on and on. This forum focus's mainly on the hobbyist prop making so what I focus on is much different.

If I took the time to draw the Aston martin there would not be any time to make a physical model. By no means am I an engineer who went to school purely to draw in Solidworks all day, I do not have the skill set to draw that car, and few people do. I have other classes to show I can draw in Solidworks but I don't intend to do that as a career, engineers and designers do the drawing most of the time.

Does that help explain a bit?

14. jaybible

jaybible Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree about people thinking you can just import a file and let the CNC do its thing. This just isnt the case!.. I have worked with 3 and 4 axis machines, and deciding on the right tooling and paths can take days or even weeks. And dont get me started on dealing with smallerbits breaking and ruining runs..or not homing the tool before starting:p

..oh btw fantastic project!... I just wish it was a jag XJ220... I would have bought that model in a heartbeat:D

15. Ray22

Ray22 Sr Member

Very cool stuff guys.

16. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

I've gotten quite good at machining the MB2001 for the car. Most parts can be done with the same toolpaths with a different configuration. I have my speeds and feeds dialed in to give me a really great finish without taking to long (time is of the essence because of 3 hour class times and teachers not letting me run machines over night). The hardest part for me is fixturing the part. Most parts are machined on 2 sides so it's hard to fixture them.

Wish we had a 4 or 5 axis lol

17. Nwerke

Nwerke Master Member

Makes sense to me. As I say, it wasn't a slam, honestly - I'd just have guessed that the creation of the CG model might have been a requirement in these courses, if asked. I'm certainly aware of the fact that there's plenty of setup and a full skillset required for CNC. I wouldn't have a clue where to start! Anyway, thanks for the rundown.

18. jaybible

jaybible Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Tut tut Martyn:p

Man i've been there with short classes and not enough time. I was lucky I worked part time for a machine shop.

Fixturing can take just as long to set-up/ machine as the part. We used to make negative fixtures just to hold the parts. Although a lot of the time we had the luxury of holding down parts with bolts, not something you want to do with body panels.

What tool are you running for your final smooth pass??

19. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

We are using a 1/4" 2 flute carbide ball endmill. I know we could go bigger on some of our less curved parts but I know that that tool is sharp, and I have the exact feeds and speeds down to give me the desired finish. With some of the parts costing $30-$40 a piece (each rear fender) I don't have the money or time to have to machine another one.

Today we got a little more done on the Aston. We have added a few new parts to the mock assembly of the car. We added the license plate holder, trunk lid, and our tail lights that we vacformed.

I'm sure you guys can see there is a gap between the license plate holder and the trunk lid. The trim that should fit, should being the key word here, between the two parts has been SLA 3-D printed at MSOE today so we should be getting it by the end of this week. We are also waiting of the pillars so we can test fit the side windows. When we get those parts in the real challenge begins, although everything SHOULD fit together, that is where we will find out if it does, and how well. Until we get the 3-D printed parts it will be a lot more sanding and prepping for paint to make sure everything is perfect.

Tyler, my partner, is working on drawing up a rim to match our car. We knew our car was drawn using surfacing so it is not perfect, but we found out the drawer didn't use much common sense when drawing the car. Instead of the 19" rims the real car has ours has 23" rims... So we are going to have some monster truck tires on it :p. Although this annoys the hell out of me, we are going to have to do it to make it look right, otherwise the wheels will look to small for the car because of the wheel well size.

First and second pictures are of the rear mock assembly. The last picture is of the side window vacform molds.

As always lemme know what you think.
    -Brandon

20. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Re: Aston Martin Vanquish (Updated 3/26)

Looks great Brandon... Keep the progress comming.

21. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Wait 5-10 years more then likely find one used for 30$-40k with low miles. Wont be the latest an greatest but still be a vanquish.

But be will be cool when finished they make great looking cars. Ive luckily had the luxury in being/driving a few

22. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

All Astons are just stunningly beautiful cars, you're lucky to have been able to drive one, something I wish to do.

I'm still trying to think of a way to display the car when it's done. To have such a beautiful car on an ugly base would make the whole thing look terrible. I was thinking a carbon fiber base like some of the scale model ferrari's you can buy (the 1/8th scale $6000 ones on their website lol) but I don't feel that look matches the car. Leather might look right but.. yeah idk how to do that.

Any suggestions?

23. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

I'd use plain black gloss accrylic. Smart but doesn't take away from the model. It also allows the subtle reflection of the car. If not acrylic then maybe black marble/granite. I would also put the Aston Martin Badge on the base somewhere.

24. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

I was thinking of water jetting out the Aston logo and using that of the base, the problem is I don't think you would be able to see all of it since the car would cover most of it up, wouldn't look that good.

I'm also thinking about doing a base with a backboard, and having the backboard have the Aston logo. So many choices.

25. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

The SLA parts came in today from MSOE, much sooner than I was expecting. We got the door handles (2nd picture), mirrors (3rd pircture), pillars (4th picture, and rear trim. Some of the parts came out pretty nice, like the pillars, and some not so much like the door handles.

We only had a little bit of time in class to work on the car today so we mainly worked on the pillars. There are still quite a few marks from the priting process but I will get those done in the morning with some spray gun primer to fill and a lot of sanding. Tyler worked on the door handles today but got his hand a little to close to the wheel and dropped the part. So we lost 1 door handle, not to big of a deal since we want them reprinted anyways because they look like crap.

Hopefully we can have the roof and some windows in by friday next week but we aren't holding our breath. Coming along nicely though

26. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Re: Aston Martin Vanquish (Updated 3/29)

Today we fitted the main part of the rear trim with the trunk and the license plate holder. Side parts of the rear trim still need a lot of work though.

We also put in the pillars so we could see how wide of trim we need for the side windows, front windshield, rear windshield and the gap between the pillars and the roof. A lot of fitting is going to start. Going to start putting pins in the body to have permanent locating features.

Really starting to look like a car!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good! I love this car, even more so than the DBS. Definitely my favorite recent Bond car.

28. IEDBOUNTYHUNTER

IEDBOUNTYHUNTER Sr Member

Nice, how are you going to do the lenses for the lights. and are you going to mold it when your finished. not sure if you said that already.

Al

29. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Amazing thread thanks for posting!!!:thumbsup

30. rustysprattdesigns

rustysprattdesigns Well-Known Member

This is great! I love seeing it come together bit by bit. :D

31. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

The lenses are going to be made using the same process for all the windows. We have already machined molds for the lenses. We pulled vacforms off of most of the molds already, just havn't gotten around to cleaning them up and fitting them.

As for a big mold of it when I'm done.... there would have to be some serious interest in it to attempt something like that. It's like 3ft long, and a lot of material would be involved in making copies.
    Originally I wanted to make fiberglass molds of each individual part but that is very time consuming for the amount of time I have left.

We are thinking about selling it though.

Thanks everyone for the comments

32. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Funny thing still more of a bike person. Alway could rent one of them cost the same as renting a limo

I don't think can come near the db5 personally but still one of the better ones

33. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

Well as a quick update today was really unproductive. The mock ups before were just to make sure everything kinda sorta fitted together, so now that we know that everything somewhat fits we are going to start joining the parts together.

We re laser cut out a mock chassis out of cardboard to make sure everything stays where it should. We are going to start by attaching the fenders to the front end. To do this we are going to take some 1" angle aluminum and attach it on the inside. The top part will have a hole in it to screw to the fender. The bottom will have 2 slots where we can put screws into the front end. The slots will allow us to have a little play with the fit, we can move it around a little bit and then tighten the screws down really tight to totally lock it. If it sounds a little confusing just wait until sometime later this week. Tyler "should" be making the 2 brackets tomorrow well I make a bearing set up (it's going to be an RC car).

The bearings won't actually be bearings, originally we wanted to have 4 bearing holders, 2 bearings each. Problem is at $5 a piece that's $40 in bearings. Instead we are going to be machining out a little pillar with a hole in it out of UHMW, a really slippery material (self lubricating plastic) which will kinda act like a bearing. Won't have the same wear resistance as a bearing. If some of you are asking "why not just drill a hole, why machine it", well I want it to look a little nice and I can pound out 4 parts in like 30-45 minutes, which is a lot longer than just drilling a hole, but it will look nicer.

34. Harrypotter

Harrypotter New Member

As one of the engineering team that designs the full sized Aston Martins (I know, I know, lifes a *) this is very, very cool :D

Kudos!

35. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

You don't by any chance know if they have an in house model shop or if they outsource their models do you?

36. Harrypotter

Harrypotter New Member

I don't have access to the styling department, so I am not sure what goes on in there.

But for the rest of us (and this goes for the other 2 car companies I have worked for as well) everything is done virtually these days.

37. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

The design is done virtually but trust me they have models made. Almost every product in the world has models made. Simple things are just 3-D printed and thats the model but I know the big 3 in the US all have model shops, and I know that pagani had 8 models made for their new Huayra.

Sorry about the lack up of an update. I'll try and post one tomorrow when I can get some pictures off the school camera.

38. Canadianghandi

Canadianghandi Member

First I would just like to apologize for totally abandoning updates. I've been busy wrapping up my final semester of college. Got a 4.0 for this last semester bringing my total college GPA to 3.5 (WOOT), I graduated with honors, and I got a job.

Now for the project itself. We had the car fitted on the last update. After that it was painted. We had an autobody shop color match the Aston paint I found on the internet in Valspar automotive paint. After that I cleared it with Dupont 7776s clear coat. Pretty anti-climatic but oh well. There are plenty of things I don't like about it, especially since we ran out of time with it so finishing it and getting a good grade was more important than having everything perfect. With that said, I still feel this is a good model, and it was a great learning experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think.

Last edited: May 21, 2012