Art Asylum communicator grid falling off

OB10

Sr Member
I've got one of the older AA/DST classic communicators with the awesome metal grid (huzzah!). The tragic part is that one of the wire joints that goes into the round discs that the grid pivot on has come loose. Anyone know how these were attached, or the best way to reattach them? Were the wires soldered into the disc thing or were they just epoxied? I need to get it fixed before it falls completely off.

I don't have one with the metal grid bit I believe it's soldered. Epoxy may make a good fix and it won't hurt to try it. To solder you'd have to remove it from the comm.

That's kinda what I figured. I thought that goobing up the hole with epoxy in a quickie repair would make it more pain in the buttish to solder later, though.

Well yeah, you would have to clear the epoxy out of the hole. If you have to go that route soak it in acetone, it will dissolve the epoxy.

Same thing happened to my AA metal-grid communicator awhile back. I believe I used whatever adhesive I had lying around (probably epoxy, but can't remember). I just applied a tiny bit in the hole, placed the "arm" of the grid into it, wiped off any excess glue that oozed out, and that's it. Today you'd never know it had been repaired, and it's stood up to my two daughters gently playing with it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back