Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Version.

Re: Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Vers

I think this will work nicely to cover up the markings on the back cover.;)
I need to find some glue that will hold it on permanently though first.

Will you still be able to charge it with the velcro, if so which brand did you use ?, Keep up the good work, Your doing a fine job :)

Thanks!:)

I'm not sure about the charging. :unsure
The one good thing is the location of the charging coil is located at the bottom so it might still work since the velcro will not cover the whole back area.

DSC07019.JPG

The velcro piece I got was from the same place that I got the screws. The sci-fi-props place. I believe the brand is Velcro.
http://scifiprops.ecrater.com/p/24926882/star-trek-communicator-alpha-style

DSC07019.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Vers

I took the sticker off to get a better look and see if there was something on this side but there was nothing. So I will take a chance and put a little more force on the back pin and see what happens. Here we go again! :facepalm

DSC07015.JPG

And look what happened!:cry
It worked! Those are tears of joy!:lol

DSC07020.JPG

Now I should be able to make adjustments if needed to make the new moires fit correctly.

DSC07021.JPG
But how to cut these to get the correct offset of the Beta effect:confused
Which is suppose to be 1/32" separation according to Herocomm.com.
http://herocomm.com/Details/MoireStory.htm#Series_(A)_Kit

DSC07020.JPG

DSC07021.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

It's so hard to tell, we get such a short look at Beta in action. I'd probably mount the bottom part on center making the pattern more regular, just to set it apart from Alpha.

It's so hard to tell, we get such a short look at Beta in action. I'd probably mount the bottom part on center making the pattern more regular, just to set it apart from Alpha.
Robn1 I think I will give that a try. If it ends up a little off centered it will look perfect.:cheers

If the charging cradle will not work right with the velcro, I know its not accurate, but you could..maybe..cut a quarter off the velcro
so the top portion is there. Its just a thought

Cole

Last edited:

If the charging cradle will not work right with the velcro, I know its not accurate, but you could..maybe..cut a quarter off the velcro
so the top portion is there. Its just a thought

Cole
Glad to hear they're sending you a new one. I don't think there is enough room for it but you can give it a try when you get yours. If these had the dimples like on the kydex shells I think your idea might work better.

Cut the new moires into circles and painted the back of the inner smaller one.
Had to sand off the raised lip on the black gear to make room for the new moire which is thicker than the original sticker. Hey that rhymes.:lol

DSC07024.JPG

I put a small sticker on the back of the little painted moire so the glue does not disturb the paint. Just in case.;)

DSC07025.JPG

Now it's time to check and adjust the communicator body to make sure everything fits correctly.
Stay tuned!:popcorn

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Hi spacerone! What an incredible journey this is! Do you mind me asking where you got your moires from? Thanks! :)

That's great! Thank you! I can't wait to see how this turns out. You're a much braver man than me. :lol

That's great! Thank you! I can't wait to see how this turns out. You're a much braver man than me. :lol

Your welcome!:) Someone out there needs to be brave and take a risk. So I figured it might as well be me. :lol

Hahahaaaa...better you than me...with my skills...:lol

Had to sand down two areas on the moire ring location so the new ring would fit closer to the base which caused more adjustment needed on the black gear by sanding it down further.

DSC07026.JPG

The new Beta bezel ring and moire's now fit much better and the bezel is closer to the base.:)

DSC07028.JPG

That looks really great and I'm sure the moire will have a nicer contrast too.

Tim
Maybe you can trim the back of the plastic rhinestone stem and glue it to the back of the Swarovski Rhinestone.
That might increase the brightness since it is in the stem hole again.
You could try it.

Mike

Tim
Maybe you can trim the back of the plastic rhinestone stem and glue it to the back of the Swarovski Rhinestone.
That might increase the brightness since it is in the stem hole again.
You could try it.

Mike

Mike I was thinking of trying a few different approaches but I will give that a try and see how it looks.

I was also thinking of removing the hole plastic area and just putting some metal washers and gluing the rhinestones on top.
If the light looks bright enough I may go that route.

DSC07030.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back