Aries 1B studio model found intact

OK - here's the deal. Between the three cameras we had there, we shot probably 300 photos. I'm not sure how much of it will be duplicate material, blurry, etc. Some of it was shot for a 3D resolve by VFXSupe64 similar to what he did with the Millennium Falcon miniature here on the RPF. We even got an endoscope and gave it a colonoscopy (turns out there really wasn't anything down there). Also shot some video of the landing gear retracting (by hand). And, yes, rulers were involved...... (Overall diameter at the widest point of sphere is ~30.5" (+ or - 1/8"). I will need a bit of time to get it all organized. We will pass along the material soon........

Gene

Attachments

• Andre3D.jpg
    Andre3D.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 429
  • Endoscope1.jpg
    Endoscope1.jpg
    591.9 KB · Views: 581
it was really generous of the place to allow such in depth inspection, good work gene.

Great for sharing all of this with us Gene and al. Eager to see the pics, the vid the...well, you get my drift:cool

If any of you were wondering what I'm doing wearing 3D anaglyph glasses there on the left, Photoscan has a great display feature where you can take a solve and display it in a Red/Cyan form.

Voila, you can spin around the solved model, in real time, to judge form and proportion - or just marvel at what today's tools can do! You can even go inside the textured mesh and look out like you're a passenger!

At that point in our visit with the miniature, I took a small set of images (12-15, I think) and did a preliminary solve to judge the efficacy of the images we were shooting. Everything looked good at that point, so we pressed on.

A fantastic experience I won't soon forget...

Regards,

Andre

OK - here's the deal. Between the three cameras we had there, we shot probably 300 photos. I'm not sure how much of it will be duplicate material, blurry, etc. Some of it was shot for a 3D resolve by VFXSupe64 similar to what he did with the Millennium Falcon miniature here on the RPF. We even got an endoscope and gave it a colonoscopy (turns out there really wasn't anything down there). Also shot some video of the landing gear retracting (by hand). And, yes, rulers were involved...... (Overall diameter at the widest point of sphere is ~30.5" (+ or - 1/8"). I will need a bit of time to get it all organized. We will pass along the material soon........

Gene

OK, here is the first set of annotated photos from the survey of the Aries-1B. Will post more later......

Gene

Attachments

• Aries1B-NOTES-0001.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0001.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 632
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0002.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0002.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 559
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0003.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0003.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 585
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0004.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0004.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 550
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0005.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0005.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 592
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0006.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 540
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0007.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 517
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0009.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0009.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 528
  • Aries1B-NOTES-0008.jpg
    Aries1B-NOTES-0008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 559
What a beauty. As a miniature collector, i really appreciate the opportunity to see these pics and learn more about this piece. Thank you.

I will start a list of kit parts they used.
1/24 revell gemini kit
1/40 lift like tillie kit
1/48 Mercury and Gemini revell kit
Airfix 1/72 b-29 kit

That is what I have so far.

Last edited:
•Renwal USS Andrew Jackson Submarine SSBN 619 (Re-released by revell)

• Vollmer 5525 HO Scale Oil Refinery Kit (lots of this kit)

and more as I find them.
-emojo5

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work and big thanks Gene, Andre and al (and the owner(s) of the auction house) for the great research and pics:cool.
Thanks to healvis, E=MC2 and emojo5 for their input pertaining to some of the kits used on that model. As a fan of the movie, this thread is the Holy Grail!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back