Any tips on making PVC chainmail? - PAINTED!!

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by rayra, Sep 27, 2002.

1. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Thinking about a Halloween costume(s) which incorporate chainmail.
    Thinking about using my chop-saw and 1/2" PVC sprinkler pipe as a shortcut.
    Anyone done this? Have tips or advice? (up to and including "Don't!")

Have an idea for a real handy wood tool to clean the PVC cuts or debris, same as a metal pipe reamer.
    Have shears to cut the rings.

Reading a lot of armor / chainmail sites, about 4-in-1 weaves, etc.

Wondering how to paint / make it silver. Particularly a way that would let me dip / soak a finished suit en toto.

Might go with the real wire method, think I have a source for some really inexpensive aluminum wire, found it just in passing, wasn't paying attention, will have to go back and price it.

And does anyone have any quick-and-dirty formulae for calculating the number of rings needed per square foot of weave?

2. Beorn Tordensjold

Beorn Tordensjold New Member

Hey Rich!

I would use 3/4 inch. Really. Itlooks just as good, and saves you TONS of time.

As to coloring... the stuff that I made I mixed one part leather dye to four parts alcohol, and dipped it. Brushing with a large brush would probably do it too. It gave it a "gunmetal" look. It actually looked pretty good once I was done.

Let me know if I can be of any other help!

Beorn, Ravensmoon Replicas
    http://ravensmoon.com

3. TK626

TK626 New Member

You should talk to TK818, if I remember correctly he made some for the LOTR premier and had some good pointers.

Nick

4. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

THAT's the kind of info I'm lookin' for! [​IMG]
    Silver leather dye (I'm presuming), that'll work GREAT!

3/4" might work for me, I'm pretty tall/big. Might look oversized on kids, have to try both sizes I guess.

Any other tips would be helpful.

I have seen anything on other sites, but it occurs to me that some kind of loom or framework to hang the sheet from as you add rings to the trailing edge would be useful - any comments or leads on this?

5. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

To go the real wire method get a spool of welding wire and use a piece of dowel the size you want the ring to be, chuck it into a drill and wind a bunch of coils about 10 to 12" long, take these coils and cut to around 2 to 3" in length turn sideways and cut them apart on the bandsaw being carefull not to cut yourself. After cuting several thousand rings start with 2 pairs of needle nose pliars and spread them open, put the proper number of rings for the style you want and close it. Be advised the little gap when closed loves to catch hair from all over the body and is an exelent way to defoliate onself. And by the way if you start tonight you work steady 8 to 10 hrs a day 7 days a week you may have enough for a shirt. But you will also loose the use of both hands for a few weeks or so. I have seen a nice stainless cooks apron type of guard that has suspenders and hangs from just under the arms to waist length for about $50.00, just don' remember where at the moment.

6. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

7. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

We used pvc pipe for our Orc chain mail.
    It works great!

[​IMG]

I did a collar for the opening of LOTR and I'm working on a full shirt for the Tow Towers.

Here's the size we used:

[​IMG]

We tried the larger and smaller size pipe but this was the best looking and simplest to work with.

We cut it on a band saw with a thin blade.
    The blade should have about 15 teeth per inch.
    Less than that and the blade grabs the pipe and can shatter it.
    We made a jig and stop so we could feed pipe through fast.
    Wrap tape around 3 to 5 pipes so you can cut a bunch at once.

Cut half of the rings with sheers:

[​IMG]

They just snap together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

awesome!
    and that cowl(?) does look super.
    how did you paint it? spray? dip?
    what about cutting slag on the rings, or was that a non-issue with a band saw?

I was thinking bundle of 10, and rigging a stop-block/jig on my 10" chop saw. Same thing, feed it in. Though I think I'll have to rig something close to the blade to prevent the pipe slices from dropping under / against the blade after they are cut off.

9. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I dipped the finished coif in black leather die and then painted it with black primer.
    I then hit it with a metallic gray and some rust red primmer.

Next time I'll skip the die bath.
    I think it looks good enough just painting it and the die was a mess.

I'd be worried that a chop saw blade would be to thick.
    Can't hurt to try I guess.

I did have trouble with the rings slipping between the blade and wedging.
    I just put a piece of duck tape up to either side of the blade so the rings couldn't slip into the slot.
    I don't know if that would work with a chop saw.

I know the WETTA workshop used band saws for LOTR so that's what we did.

Edit: Yes, slag was an issue.
    We had to clean each ring by hand.
    I just used a wedge of scrap wood and my finger nails.
    It's not to bad if you do it while you watch TV : )

10. PaulF2000

PaulF2000 Well-Known Member

Your chainmail looks awesome. I love your Orc costumes but the could be dirtier. [​IMG]

Are your armor and helmets plastic as well?

Paul

11. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Oh don't worry, they'll be PLENTY nasty for the Two Towers!
    The armor is all vac formed ABS.
    I'm going to reinforce my legs and shield with fiberglass and rubber so I can bash into things : )
    Were also working on new Orc masks, arm and leg appliances and better weapons.

Here I am with Tam at Comic Con:

[​IMG]

12. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

[​IMG] Now there's something I never thought would work. That kicks *!!! Beats the heck out of my 40 pound galvanized sweater. [​IMG]

If you've got about $200 to toss about there's an eBay seller that makes aluminum chain shirts that weigh in only at 7 or 8 pounds.

13. leiasky

leiasky New Member

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    greatwazoo42 wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

If you've got about $200 to toss about there's an eBay seller that makes aluminum chain shirts that weigh in only at 7 or 8 pounds.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

We're going to have to make maile for our High Elven Armor costumes and I must say I'd rather buy it than make it. That will be the last thing we do on the costume so we've got a few months.

GW, who is the Ebay seller? $200 isn't bad.

Yes, the guys Orc's rock! I'm still trying to convince them to come to LA for the TTT premier. *hint hint* [​IMG]

14. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Check out this site:

http://www.theringlord.com/

Before we found out about the PVC method we were going to go with this guy.

Even if you end up making your own, you should check out the site.

They have patterns, how to pages and a chain mail discussion
    forum.

15. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

"I'm still trying to convince them to come to LA for the TTT premier."

Can we all stay at your place ; )

16. Noir

Noir New Member

i dont know jack about actuay making it, but if you want to paint it, i can help you, for a shiny yet weathered look, use black pvc and drybrush a steel or silver paint on it, in some places even do a couple of coats, for a very old, used look, do the previous step and then paint over in a very watered down dark brown paint to simulate rust.

17. Aeryk

Aeryk New Member

Very interesting, never thought about using PVC to do chainmail before.

I cant tell ya much about making the rings using PVC like that, but if you need any construction tips on how to actually put different weaves together let me know, I make chainmail and know a bunch of different weaves.

Aeryk

18. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

cool.
    been pretty busy, but finally going to dice up some PVC tomorrow afternoon.
    And bonus points for Noir - BLACK pvc!! Thinking polyvinyl tubing, NOW [​IMG] Gonna have to check that out.

Aeryk / all - on the weave patterns - is it a stylistic choice, are are you supposed to use different weaves for different panels / pieces / uses? It 6in1 stiffer than 4in1? Much more complicated to produce?

Back to reading how-to sites, thanks for the added info everyone. [​IMG]

19. wyrwolff

wyrwolff New Member

I'm the very rusty orc on the far left of the picture [​IMG] Sitting in front of the Idiot Box (TV) and working on this stuff is a great idea. It's what I did [​IMG]

For de-burring, I had two buckets, raw and "de-burred". I had a section of sched 40 PVC pipe that just fit over my middle finger from the main knuckle out, with the end cut at around a 60 degree angle or so. I'd sit there watching the * tube, grab a raw ring, ream the inside edges of it a couple of times with the outside of my PVC tool, then ream the outside edges with the *inside* edges of the tool. This worked great for the orc mail, as it didn't have to be perfect. I had to replace the tool every 1/3 bucket of rings or so (1 gallon bucket).

When linking the rings, I made a lap board to work on it. The board had a row of finishing nails evenly spaced at the top. These were far enough apart to make it easy to link the following rows, but not so far apart as to be at maximum stretch.

For coloring, I'd forgoe the dye. Nearly a year later and I'm still rubbing dye off of my coif. Take a week and shoot light coats of a base color (like cheap OSH [Orchard Supply Hardware]) flat black), jumbling the rings between coats until you get complete coverage. Then, if you're doing orc armor, shoot sploctchy rust brown several times. Finish with several drybrushed coats of bronze, gunmetal, and maybe a touch of silver as a finishing touch.

Rich & Tammy - *, I wish I coulda' made it to ComicCon [​IMG]

Jesse

20. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Hi Jesse!
    You best make it to CC next year!
    (Especially since we'll probably skip Anime Expo)

Re the black PVC,
    Do they make it in that size?
    We tried the dark gray stuff but the walls were to thick.

And yes, the weave does matter!
    We used a 4 in 1 weave which is the simplest and covers the most area.
    It also lays the flattest.
    Jesse tried 6 in 1 but it didn't lay as flat and was MUCH more work.

I think the 4 in 1 pattern is your best bet for PVC.

21. wyrwolff

wyrwolff New Member

Correction: Jesse *accidentally* tried 6-in-1 and it was a pain in the a$$ [​IMG] It had been a LONG time since I'd made any chainmail, and didn't quite realise what I was doing [​IMG] Luckily, it was only a 3" x 6" swath of 3/4in. PVC so it *only* took a whole EVENING to do...Trying to spray paint it was a pain though. I'd only rec. spray painting for 4-in-1 (which is what I was talking about above). 6-in-1 (or higher) is a real *, and shouldn't be done in PVC.

I don't have much of an excuse for missing CC, since my Mom LIVES in San Diego, but this year I couldn't even afford gas money because of Anime Expo [​IMG] AND it was only gas & food that killed me, since we stayed at Tammy's. Next year though [​IMG] <crossing fingers>.

Jesse

22. leiasky

leiasky New Member

TK818 wrote:
    "I'm still trying to convince them to come to LA for the TTT premier."

Can we all stay at your place ; )

With a little persuasion.... [​IMG]

You need to ask? [​IMG]

23. leiasky

leiasky New Member

wyrwolff wrote:
    Rich & Tammy - *, I wish I coulda' made it to ComicCon [​IMG]

Jesse

Jesse, be sure to make it next year! We stay with Sharie, I'm sure she wouldn't mind an extra body. [​IMG]

And - we'll definitely have our High Elf armor by then! Of course, it only takes one elf to kick a legion of Orc butt... [​IMG]

24. forttusken

forttusken Well-Known Member

Cool thread! Nice work!

25. Bigrfoot

Bigrfoot New Member

Source for many types of pre-cut rings:

www.dcwireworks.com/

Everthing from raw steel to aluminum to titanium... might save you some time, and not that expensive either.

Troy

26. wyrwolff

wyrwolff New Member

I've 'erd tha' feisty elves taste bet'er roasted than th' quiet ones. Guess da' Boyz'll j'st hav' to find out or'selves nxt y'r [​IMG]

Gru'g, Son of G'nag
    Moria Boyz
    [​IMG]

27. leiasky

leiasky New Member

wyrwolff wrote:
    I've 'erd tha' feisty elves taste bet'er roasted than th' quiet ones. Guess da' Boyz'll j'st hav' to find out or'selves nxt y'r [​IMG]

Gru'g, Son of G'nag
    Moria Boyz
    [​IMG]

*looks down her nose at the Moria Boyz*

Fortunately, you breathe so loud, and smell so bad, we can shoot you in the dark...

[​IMG]

Elf #699, twice removed on Aragorn's great x10 father's side..

28. wyrwolff

wyrwolff New Member

Hoi! I took a bath two years ago! I don't smell tha' bad! <sniff, sniff> >>>thud<<<.

[​IMG]

29. Aeryk

Aeryk New Member

As for the different types of weaves...

Most chainmail uses only 1 weave at a time, at least traditionally, you can always mix and match them for some interesting effects.

4in1 is the standard used throughout the middle ages in europe, 6in1 is a little denser weave and takes a bit longer to put together, 8in1 is incredibly dense and takes longer yet to put together. There are also a few nifty oriental patterns...japanese 4in1 and 6in1 look totally different than their european counterparts.

Weaves can also depend greatly on the rings used, if you use larger/thinner rings, a denser weave would make armor alot stronger, if you use smaller/thicker rings a looser weave would do just as well...for example, most of the chainmail I do is combat-grade, I use 3/8" 14ga. galvanized steel rings for combat grade 4in1 armor. If I went to a thinner wire like 16ga. I would drop my ring size down to 1/4" to get the same toughness. Any thinner on the wire and I would have to think about alternate methods of strengthening the rings (welding, riveting, or even doubling them, to avoid them simply pulling apart under stess) If I went with a thicker wire I could increase the ring size to get the same toughness -vs- slashing weapons, but then peircing weapons would be able to penetrate the armor more easilly (arrows and such could easilly slide through 1" rings but not 3/8") Another factor is weight...a full hauberk made of 3/8" 14ga. steel weighs in at around 30lbs, around the same for 1/4" 16ga. , if you go with large/thick rings, the weight will drastically jump (I saw one shirt made with 2" 0ga. rings that weighed in around 80lbs...imagine wearing that all day) For PVC chainmail weight shouldnt be a problem though as you are aiming for looks and not combat value.

Aeryk

30. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

The orks look great how about a rundown on how the shields and costumes were made?

31. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

If you can post any more pics of the orks that would be great.

32. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

In ragrds to black PVC. I found mention not of black pvc but of a black abs pipe that is similar to pvc. It was found at a home depot. So for those who have one close by give it a check. While also cruising around ont he web I found a palce that had clear pvc pipe. I did not look at the sizes but though I would mention it here.

Dean

33. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

(sorry, no pics for now, left Digicam at out-of-state jobsite last week, stuck taking 35mm progress shots)

Well, finally got started. Boy, WHAT A MESS!! [​IMG]

Using 3/4" Sched 40 PVC.
    Using a 10" miter (chop) saw.
    Have (10) 10' pipe sections bundled together, taped every 18" or so. BTW - taping the (10) pipes in a triangle-shaped bundle didn't work so well - the bundle was too tall to fit under the blade shroud. Settled for a bundle in three layers, 3-4-3.
    Have a .25" thick piece of lumber clamped to the saw's body/platform as a bump-stop - just feed the bundle against the wood, and chop.

Was using my fine-tooth blade, getting some burring / melting, then thought to switch to my carbide-tipped rip blade. This makes a good quick cut through the pipes.
    There's a little roughness to the cut edges if you go too fast, and at first I was put off by this, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it - makes the rings look more 'hand-made'.

Anyway, the other drawback of the carbide/rip blade - huge waste of material - the blade is basically as thick as my finished rings, so I'm losing 50% of my stock. And that 50% waste material is laying EVERYWHERE like artificial snow.

Anyway, game called on account of darkness. Have about 5' cut, by my calcs, that ought to be ~2400 rings.

Rings are about 1/8" thick, and a quick 4-in-1 test shows they lay flat enough.

I have a good pair of sheetmetal shears, they go through the PVC rings readily enough, but after I cut 5000 rings, I don't expect them to be worth anything on thin metal. We'll see.

It's gonna take a while to inspect, sort, cut, and repeatedly vac all the static-clinging PVC shavings.

And on the black PVC, would work. Same for the grey PVC (ABS?), and it would already be close to the right color, just a little silvering needed. [​IMG].
    Also thought the black polyvinyl drip-watering-system tubing would work nice, but too expensive to mess with.

More later, and maybe some pics by Halloween. [​IMG]

34. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

BTW, my little 20-ring weave test works out to about 1.7 rings per sq. inch. If you want to limit the time / mess on cutting, that should give a person a rough guide on how many rings they need (if using 3/4" sched 40 pipe).

35. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

Hey, Just a quick note. I'm not sure which thread I read this in but only cut every other ring. I'm sorry if it was in this thread that I read that. It saves a bit of time that way. I only mentioned it because you made the comment about cutting 5,000 rings.

The rings were sealed using a jewelers sealing tool. Basically a flat soildering iron. They put it in the ring slot heated both sides, slipped out the iron and then pressed to ring together to melt it closed.

Dean

36. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

ooh, thanks, have to read up on that (skimmed the assembly how-tos, missed it), wasn't looking forward to all the cuts.

yesterday and today, total about 4hrs in cutting and major cleanup. Wound up with 3 grocery bags of PVC shavings / 'artifical snow', and a 5gal. bucket full of rings. [​IMG]

Anyone have tips on chainmail tailoring? Going for a massive tunic-like thing (proper name escapes me right now), basically just a large square 'T'?
    Any tips on arm and neck openings, and lace-up closures? Do I need a lot of openings, or just a lot of slack ni the sizing to wiggle into it? opinions?

37. Blaxmyth

Blaxmyth Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Years ago I made a knee length chain shirt (since stolen [​IMG] ) and I went with the 'T' pattern. It was quite a bit bigger than I was (then) and it turned out to be really forgiving - the weight of the bottom part pulled the upper part snug against the body.

Also - just a thought about the jewellers 'welder' for plastic. It might be possible to use an xacto blade or similar and wire it onto a soldering iron? I'm guessing it won't get as hot as the tip of the iron so hopefully wouldn't boil the plastic instantly.

38. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

speaking of welding the plastic rings shut - right now I have no intention of doing so. The material is turning out to be very light, and I don't think I'll have any trouble with rings pulling open. We'll see.
    Plus I want to be able to alter the design in the future.

39. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

I left mine open as well.

The WETTA guys told us that they had problems with the armpits of their
    tunics.
    Apparently the rings didn't hold up to some of the heavy fighting.
    I doubt we'll put that much stress on the rings but if it became an
    issue you could always use patches of metal rings under the arms.

I intend to make mine a loose fitting T shaped shirt then add my tie
    together collar.

40. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

from a costume perspective (and not an 'armor' one), we could try leaving out the armpits. Better comfort, less binding, less pulling...

41. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Or even use stretch material for the armpits.

Also, if you have armor over the chain mail, you could permanently attach the chain mail to the armor.

Then you don't need to worry about making an entire shirt.
    Just the sections not covered by the plates.

I'm still going to try an entire shirt though.
    I want to do a light archer with just a chain shirt but have the option of putting on the heavy plate armor.

Hey, this thread should be archived.
    This is like the 3rd time this method of making chainmail has come up.
    It's certainly worthwhile info!

42. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

"I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MAH FIN-GERS!"

so I cut rings today until my maimed hand was too sore to continue (figured it would be good therapy).
    Then I wove a sq' of 4in1. Took about 75mins and ~250 rings. Pretty slow going.
    Thought about it a bit, and figured there had to be a faster way. So I started just making a 2in1 'rope', figuring to part it in lengths suitable for a tunic, and then stich them together.
    Took about the same time (to temporarily run out of cut links) as it took for the square foot. Wound up with 40' of chain. ~1000 links. 4x as many.
    It's a little more complicated to stich the rows together, but I'm figuring that even so it will still be faster this way.

And, Man! are my thumbs chafed. rought cut PVC been bery bery bad to me.

Took a few 35mm pics, will insert them later.

43. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Waiting for paint to dry on another project, so I spent another hour on 2in1 chain. ~35', ~850 links. Not a bad pace. But man are my fingers sore.
    At this rate it'll take (very rough guess) about 45-60mins / finished square foot.

I'm guesstimating I'll need ~22sq' for a full hauberk / tunic. And another 3sq' for a hood.
    Crap! just did the math and I'm probably 20% short on rings. [​IMG] I'll need another round of heinous chop-saw mess.

These are all very rough calculations - everything depends on size of rings, pattern size, how big or small the person is, your manual dexterity and spped of assembling the maille. Too many variables for any solid estimate other than "*, this is gonna take a while" [​IMG]

44. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

a few more quick notes, and FINALLY some pics. Got my digicam returned just before I left town (earlier 35mm pix still need to go to developer).
    Just got back home after 4 days away, dumping pics, will be back later with more details.

Took my PVC maille junk with me. Had ~85' of 2in1 'rope'.
    Wanting a full tunic / hauberk(?), so I draped the rope over my shoulder and to my knees front and back. Broke the rope into 7'6" lengths.

[​IMG]

Some may have seen the giant table I made a year+ ago - it came in very handy for assembling the maille (and a nice touch of irony - the table / room are medieval in look).
    One of the pluses of this giant crude table was being able to drive nails into it to stake out the maille. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's what I managed to stitch together in 2-1/2 hours (while sorta-watching a movie) -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, back later with more. And I have to go do some research - I think I've screwed up and accidentally created 6in1 maille, have to double check, and if I did, no way am I undoing it all [​IMG]

45. Sandcrawler Guy

Sandcrawler Guy New Member

Man... That is really impressive. Now _I_ want to do something like that for a ren faire costume or something.

Dayum... That looks really nice. I can't wait to see more pics.

Rob

46. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Lookin Good!

I'm finishing up my Orc sword tonight and I'll be chopping up rings tomorrow : )

Oh, I found some grey electrical conduit that is the same thickness as the white pipe so I'm going to see how it works.

Because I have armored plates covering the main body I'm going to use 3/4 inch rings for the torso and 1/2 inch rings for the sleeves.

I found some cool shots of the Wetta guys doing the chainmail on the LOTR extras DVD.
    I'll post the pics as soon as I put them on my site.

47. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

Apparently two guys did ALL the chainmail in LOTR.
    It took them over a year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

48. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Nice pics! Seems I did mine rotated 90 degrees, I was working side to side, sort of like a weaving loom thing.

And looking at those closeups, looks like they used the polyvinyl black tubing! EASY to cut, EASIER to work.

I had a bunch of variance in my ring thickness, the stop I rigged on my miter-saw wasn't solid. The thicker rings really gave me some grief. And the thinner rings, those that met the 1/8" thick 'ideal' went together much more easily.

49. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

My friend Ed talked to the Wetta guys at Comic Con and they said it was PVC pipe.
    They had a special machine to chop the rings so there were no burrs to deal with.

They also plated the rings before putting them together.

To paint them they put the loose rings in a tumbler machine (basically like a big clothes dryer), added paint and let them tumble until they
    were dry.

They did the same thing to plate the rings.
    They couldn't plate them in one heap because all the rings stuck together.

Mat is going to rig a bucket tumbler to pre paint his rings.

Before he paints them he's going to tumble the cut rings with some gravel and see if he can de burr the rings.

I'll post the results.

50. TK818

TK818 Well-Known Member

"Seems I did mine rotated 90 degrees"

I hope you haven't laid out the links so they don't lay correctly for your tunic!

Chainmail has a direction to it.

It flexes well in one direction but not the other.

For example, if you made the selves with a weave going the wrong way, it would be hard to bend your arms.