Any S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game fans?

Never played it, but I was curious about it. I heard the first one had some major bug/stability problems.

I picked up Metro 2033, but haven't sat down and played yet.

I remember reading about the first STALKER but it was delayed repeatedly until it eventually came out with little fanfare and I totally forgot about it. I picked a copy up not too long ago for $5...awesome game, really well done!

Can't wait for #2 now!

It's one of those great games that a lot of people never really knew about. I love the original. As far as these type of adventure/rpgs go, this was the Fallout 3 before Fallout 3 :)

I have never had any major game stopping problems with any of the series. I know fans fixed a ton of problems, especially for the first game. PC Gamer gave all of the games reviews in the 90s (out of 100). They might take a little to get into once you start learning the story, but they are great. Because they are set in Russia the atmosphere has a really different feel to it. Well unless you live in Russia.

Played an hour or two of the original S.T.A.L.K.E.R., then heard from a friend about the 'complete 2009 mod' for it, installed it, and proceeded to enjoy the game immensely.

Haven't played any of the other titles except the first, but it's good to hear they'll be going back in that direction for this next installment!

I don't trust professional gaming reviews very much. At best, they're a knee-jerk initial gut reaction. At worst, they're shilling for The Man (Activision or EA, basically).

That said, maybe I'll check out Stalker on Steam. Although I still have a ton of other stuff to get through...

I agree i never go by gamer magazine/site reviews. I looked to see if any of the stalker games were on xbox but no luck. I'm not in front of my pc enough with time to game or i'd get them since they're like 3.00 each before shipping.

I haven't seen any signs that PC Gamer does that. I've subscribed to it since 94 when it started. They will bash companies if they are doing something wrong. They've been trashing Microsoft for screwing up or not supporting Games for Windows. They even flat out said not to buy the last Assassin's Creed because of the DRM they put in it, even though they rated it high.

Call of pripyat is probably the best stalker to date in my opinion. Also, if you guys liked Stalker you should def try out Metro 2033. It's basically stalker meets call of duty.

METRO_2033_2.jpg.jpg

http://www.techdigest.tv/metro 2033 4.jpg

metro-2033-14b17f7825231f.jpg

metro2033.jpg

Bought and played them all, great games. Artist Pavels Mods are great to have installed aswell certainly makes them more entertaining. I think the original Stalker was the best, then Call of Pripyat then Clear sky. Great stories, hope this new one continues to provide, always seems to be buggy though.

So, wait, is STALKER still buggy, or have they resolved the issues? The big complaint I heard about STALKER's initial release was that it was buggy as hell.

What's DRM? I wish the Stalker games would have gotten ported to the xbox.

Digital Rights Management. Ubisoft put a system into the last Assassin's Creed PC version that would only let the game run while you had a working Internet connection. So any time your Internet connection timed out the game shut down, even if you were in the middle of playing it. They recently removed it because of the complaints.

I was going to play that Metro game, but a lot of people said there were some ridiculous things like having to change air filters every few minutes to the point that it got frustrating.

So, wait, is STALKER still buggy, or have they resolved the issues? The big complaint I heard about STALKER's initial release was that it was buggy as hell.

As far as I know theres still a bug in Call of Pripyat when you climbing up the ladder into Pripyat it sometimes crashes and it auto saves you into the crash, so you have to save before it. I've had it crash on me there a few times. The first ones alright just need to download the patch.

If you use the artist Pavel 'Complete stalker' mods you'll be ok, hes fixed a lot of the problems.

I just got the original and Pripyat on the last day of the holiday Steam sale and so far have really dug these games.

As for bugs, I haven't run into any yet, thankfully. Also, thanks for the mod recommendations. I've loved the atmosphere in the game, stock, but that 2009(2012) mod just seems to ramp it up exponentially.

Digital Rights Management. Ubisoft put a system into the last Assassin's Creed PC version that would only let the game run while you had a working Internet connection. So any time your Internet connection timed out the game shut down, even if you were in the middle of playing it. They recently removed it because of the complaints.

I was going to play that Metro game, but a lot of people said there were some ridiculous things like having to change air filters every few minutes to the point that it got frustrating.

That's what put me off Metro too plus the fact that all you have is a compass. Once it's like 3.00 on amazon used i'll get it lol. The first novel should be out in English soon according to amazon.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back