ANOVOS issues (ANOVOS ONLY discussion)

Careful!

They might send you a box full of dirt instead of what you ordered!! ;)

Hahahahaha so one person receives and item in Sweden and every one is back on the bandwagon of ordering stuff from them man I love this community never fails to amuse me. COD would be the only way I would ever buy directly from them.

The thing I'm not thrilled about is the difference in the grain as that is very easy to see.

Don't know if this is helpful , but here's a shot of a piece on the inside of my jacket that is more distressed. Real jacket on the left.

1578081742678.png

1578082099019.png

It's hard to find any actual grain on the screen jacket because it's been weathered to hell. Looks like, in addition to sanding and scuffing, it looks like they pressed it with a hot iron or something in places, which is one way to flatten grain and get some leathers to shine in specific spots. Leather is weird in that it can go shiny when put under pressure, like hitting with a hammer.

In my jacket, you can see the distressing cracks starting to form. There's nothing to be done about the thickness- no matter how softer it gets, it'll always be thicker, but I think the overall look of the jacket will get closer to the screen jacket with age.

The original is probably 1mm-1.5mm thick leather, whereas the Anovos seems to be 1.5-2.5 or thereabouts.

I would have preferred thinner leather too, but after wearing almost exclusively leather jackets (lots of them) for the last 30+ years I'm willing to give them a bit of a pass on not having it exact. Matching grain and surface of a specific piece, which I've tried to do, can be nigh-on impossible, even when speaking directly to those that work with leather. Thickness is a lot easier to match than surface finish though, so it must've been a conscious choice to go with thicker leather. (It's thinner than a few other jackets I have though.) Danny was very fortunate to find something as close as he did- if his tailor had gotten some of the patterning details closer, he would have killed all other makes. I wore the jacket around the house for a few hours yesterday and it softened quite a bit in that short time and the surface is such that scrapes and scratches will be lighter than the surface, so it'll match the screen one more over time in terms of weathering. (Run a fingernail or metal butter knife along a seam edge when you get it and you'll see what I mean.)

I am holding out hope that it will wear well over time. To be fair, I'm sure (like the infamous stories about distressing the Raiders jacket) the costume team did some heavy weathering prior to filming. Maybe even the texture will soften a bit with time,etc. I have a Wested Hero Raiders and the texture was similar to this but with some weathering and a couple applications of Pecard's conditioner it has changed and even darkened...

EDIT - Apologies - I didn't see your follow up post above until after posting this. But it seems we agree on the weathering done to the screen used. Interesting about the hot iron. Might try that...
Can't wait to get it Monday. It's been a long wait.

Cheers
Steven

So Disney Parks getting Anogos items and selling them when said items have NOT been shipped to Customers who have paid in full years ago is not a conflict of interest?

As far as the parks being a separate part of the Company is a moot point.

They are DISNEY and we do NOT have all of our stuff plain and simple PERIOD. :rolleyes:
You have no clue

You have no clue
Oh? Any evidence to the contrary? Otherwise the same could be said about you.

Doesn’t seem like much of a leap to say that it’s problematic that Anovos seemingly doesn’t have any money (ie can’t refund me a measly $400 within 12 months) and can’t produce anything for individual consumers within the timeframes that they themselves laid out, yet when a new movie opens, here they are making and shipping out completed full sets of armor for Disney to use with marketing, and apparently stocking the shelves in Disney’s parks with their items.

I’m pretty sure that the TLJ stormtrooper helmets were available from the park stores in advance of even the earliest direct Anovos preorders. Who knows what else.

Okay, neutral corners. Let’s not turn this into a flame war.

Business for different contracts work in different ways, even in smaller companies, especially when licensing is involved. But others here may work for these companies or have a specific insight because of what they do (i.e. patent attorney or involved in manufacturing processes) and they can see the different side of just this or that.

That being said, let’s all try super hard to be sensitive to people’s experiences and pain. There are a lot of people who have been royally screwed here.

It’s very difficult to see a company, whose owners and employees we have met at conventions and shows; shaken their hands and trusted them not just with our money but with what makes us US. A company of collectors and nerds that wanted to give us the best we could ever get of the specialty items we’ve always wanted. That many of us never in a million years would ever have a chance of getting. And what did they do?

It APPEARS they have passed us, the little guy who helped to finance their operation with our preorders, money and more importantly our trust, for the money of a bigger and better contract. Leaving us to wonder why and what now.

No matter why or how, they are making items for mass markets like the parks and big companies, and we aren’t getting our items.

And to some extent, we deserve a true and honest explanation. Because as literal investors with our money, we’ve got that right when we aren’t getting our stuff. But we won’t get it. But that’s okay, if they deliver.

Anyway, this is a vent forum, and we can and will continues to do so, but let’s all remember we come for separate and truly diverse backgrounds. I’ll be honest and say I used to work for ILM for 10 years. Others here are die-hard fans (not unlike me) and others are dentists, lawyers and baristas. But we are all in fandom together and this needs to be a safe space, okay? Bitch and complain and say what you want, but please do it with respect and understanding of the others on the board.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Disney controls the license, so when Disney orders stuff for their parks from a company they granted a license to, there may be extra incentive to keep them happy. For example if Anovos pisses off Disney, they could lose the license or have some other consequence that affects their business in the future. It's kind of like keeping your boss happy.

Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is that Disney controls the license, so when Disney orders stuff for their parks from a company they granted a license to, there may be extra incentive to keep them happy. For example if Anovos pisses off Disney, they could lose the license or have some other consequence that affects their business in the future. It's kind of like keeping your boss happy.

if true, it also means Disney knows they've screwed over thousands of people owed stuff in the process. Not exactly a win-win.

if true, it also means Disney knows they've screwed over thousands of people owed stuff in the process. Not exactly a win-win.
True, but I can certainly believe Disney would prioritize getting whatever costumes they need for cast members over delivering to customers. It would look pretty silly if they had a grand opening of the Star Wars park with very few characters in costume. I think it is suspected that Anovos made the FO TK armor. What about the other characters?

I have no idea how many Anovos items are kept in stock at the stores. I wouldn't think very many.

Overall I don't think this was a huge factor in the delays. Most of the Anovos products should have been being produced in other unrelated supply chains. I don't think it was a coincidence that Anovos and efx both had really bad issues with delivering product at the same time. Both reported significant issues with products being produced by certain factories in China. Hopefully they have both made adjustments that will allow more reliable delivery.

True, but I can certainly believe Disney would prioritize getting whatever costumes they need for cast members over delivering to customers. It would look pretty silly if they had a grand opening of the Star Wars park with very few characters in costume. I think it is suspected that Anovos made the FO TK armor. What about the other characters?

I have no idea how many Anovos items are kept in stock at the stores. I wouldn't think very many.

Overall I don't think this was a huge factor in the delays. Most of the Anovos products should have been being produced in other unrelated supply chains. I don't think it was a coincidence that Anovos and efx both had really bad issues with delivering product at the same time. Both reported significant issues with products being produced by certain factories in China. Hopefully they have both made adjustments that will allow more reliable delivery.
Anovos didn’t make the “cast member “ costumes, they look nothing like the anovos kits.
Anovos did supply the Rise of the Resistance kits and the FOTK and Kylo helmets and complete FOTK you can buy at the park. There’s no doubt they sent our kits to the Rise of the Resistance instead of to customers.

Hopefully now that the parks are being supplied they will finally start shipping to pre-paid customers.

Cast members (employees), yes. But word is attendees are able to buy stuff at the parks that should have gone to others first.

Cast members (employees), yes. But word is attendees are able to buy stuff at the parks that should have gone to others first.
Yes, this is correct. You can buy the full FOTK costume assembled and it will ship to you as well as the FOTK helmet and Kylo Ren helmet and take them home with you form inside the park.

Just my two cents...they are starting to ship something....and the fact that the park is selling their items at least shows income to finish projects left on the afterburner. As upset as I am about my stuff being delayed I can also sympathize with what they are trying to accomplish. The helmets etc I have are really nice and of really solid construction. ---At this point Star Wars is at a small hiatus which hopefully allows for a great time to catch up and plan for other items etc. I'm doubtful but optimistic afterakk I'm sure the disney machine wants to tap into this accurate costume etc fanfare. Not an easy thing to do....

If, and I mean IF, supplying the Mouse with product was their only way to save the company and actually start to catch up on all the late orders, then I think it's an understandable move on their part.

They alluded to cashflow problems last year in one of their "celebration updates" due to pre-order cancellations and failed factory deliveries (though they worded it in a way that caused a bit of offense in the community).

It sucks that "new" customers are getting products before old ones, it really does, but if it's either that or no one gets anything, then it's the lesser of two evils.

Shipping the Solo TFA must've been a big win for them, since it's the first of their (many) new garments that need to get done. Hopefully they will be able to keep up the momentum. I'm guessing that it's the same factory producung the Picard jacket and if so, there's reason to look forward to it. Same with the Star Lord. It's gonna be an interesting spring and summer...

Just my two cents...they are starting to ship something....and the fact that the park is selling their items at least shows income to finish projects left on the afterburner. As upset as I am about my stuff being delayed I can also sympathize with what they are trying to accomplish. The helmets etc I have are really nice and of really solid construction. ---At this point Star Wars is at a small hiatus which hopefully allows for a great time to catch up and plan for other items etc. I'm doubtful but optimistic afterakk I'm sure the disney machine wants to tap into this accurate costume etc fanfare. Not an easy thing to do....
...as long as it all arrives before Disney brings back Star Wars Weekends and we are allowed to kit up at the parks, I will consider this long running, bad plot line over...I will never let myself wind up in the 'preorder shuffle' again with Anovos, but at least I will have what I paid for now that the final installment of the ST trilogy is in the can, and on its way to digital.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back