ANH Imperial Coffe Mugs

It looks like the base of the mold is either painted silver, covered with something silver, or (less likely) cut away and some other object pushed through to create a new base,

There are several ways they could have gone about making it but to me it looks like they stacked 3 separate sections on top of each other. I also think that there might be some cylinder or cup inside acting as an interior support for the pieces and help connect the mold cups. I have nothing to support these ideas but that’s how it comes off based on the low res image.

From what I gather from lonepigeon comments and from what I see, the silver parts are not the jel-ette molds at all. Only the black part on the outside of the metal or metal looking container are the jel-ette mold part. What the metal looking part is, is the remaining part that needs to be ID'd. Maybe its one piece, like a modern drink travel mug. Maybe its multiple things joined together. They could be multiple pieces stacked around a central piece or pieces. For me personally it would be enough to just find a suitable close enough approximation that could also be used as a functional prop.

Several on etsy and even amazon.

From vintage 70's set.
The individual molds 1 3/4" on the starburst end and 3" on the other end. The are 3" high

Several on etsy and even amazon.

From vintage 70's set.
The individual molds 1 3/4" on the starburst end and 3" on the other end. The are 3" high

Curious, where did you get those measurements from? When I measure the molds I have with digital calipers, I get 2.5" for height, just a fraction of an inch under 3" for the large opening, and 1.5" for the small opening.

Tupperware Jel-ette gelatin moulds? Really?

Tupperware did sell products in the UK at that time. There are even some known Tupperware lids on the Falcon rear seats, and the bottom hatch thing at Bespin. But gelatine moulds seem like a totally American thing. Were those commonly available in Britain in 1976?

From what I gather from lonepigeon comments and from what I see, the silver parts are not the jel-ette molds at all. Only the black part on the outside of the metal or metal looking container are the jel-ette mold part. What the metal looking part is, is the remaining part that needs to be ID'd.

Yes I know. I’m not sure what you think I am saying but you appear to be misunderstanding me.

Maybe they where measured with the caps on.

Maybe. I wonder if they used the lower cap on the actual prop. The table is so damn reflective, its hard for me to discern where the cup ends and the table begins. My eyes started to go cross eyed a bit after staring at screen caps for so long.

Tupperware Jel-ette gelatin moulds? Really?

Tupperware did sell products in the UK at that time. There are even some known Tupperware lids on the Falcon rear seats, and the bottom hatch thing at Bespin. But gelatine moulds seem like a totally American thing. Were those commonly available in Britain in 1976?

They used tupperware in other parts of ANH, so why not here. You can even see some tupperware in Alien which was also filmed in the UK and features some repurposed props from Star Wars.

Okay - well a quick eBay search reveals some of those bizarre mini jelly moulds sold as vintage. Looks like they were sold in the UK. Wacky.

I remember that comic and thinking, how on earth is he supposed to drink??

Vader somehow drinking, or at least using the Force to grab a drink, was an early story element that also made the novelization.

"A huge metal-clad hand gestured slightly, and one of the filled cups on the table drifted responsively into it. With a slightly admonishing tone the Dark Lord continued. 'Don't become too proud of this technological terror you've spawned, Tarkin. The ability to destroy a city, a world, a whole system is still insignificant when set against the Force.'"

At first thought looking at this photo I figured it's silver tape over a cylinder to simulate a cup. There are some uneven areas that look like that. But then I noticed that the lip at the top appears to be slightly curved over, which wouldn't be possible with silver tape. So I dunno.

imperial-cup.jpg

And only the officers want drinkies, apparently. Tarkin and Vader just chilling and plotting don't need no stinkin' drinks.

death-star-conference-room.jpg

That's light reflecting off the edge.
If you look at the wide shots you can see it's black.
You can also see there are air bubbles under the metal tape on some of them.

For the record, I'm not saying its 100% strips of sheet metal. Unless someone posts a mock up using this metal tape that approximates the look as seen in the screen caps, no one has proven anything, Its just guesses.

Currently, my best guess is they found a metal cap to put on the bottom of the jel-ette mold and the interior is 3 or 4 of the molds stacked together. Then 3 circular metal pieces make up the exterior. The exterior pieces could be some other material than metal and then have the metal tape applied. Why would there be the obvious separations, though? I would think if they went to the trouble of using tape that they'd do more to make it appear as one piece, even if it had creases and bubbles.

I think the reason there are separations between the metal pieces is because they are actually 3 separate parts.

Sorry.
All I see is uneven, creased and bubbled metal ducting tape.

I see what you see but I have also been around here for 20 years and have often found that low res images often play tricks on what we are looking at. Therefore I tend to stay open to other possibilities.

A couple of things worth mentioning. I wouldn’t be surprised if the base piece is not an actual Tupperware mold but instead they made a master of the cup using one and then recast it to make duplicates.

The other thin is that when you remove the lids on both ends, the mold is open at both ends. I would like propose the idea that the three layers on the top portion are actually three cups that are stacked. The top two layers look the same width but I also think it is possible the bottom layer is also the same width but part of is hiding Unser the top flared edge of the mold cup.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back