ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

I honestly envy the people that don't even bother with attempting all these little details; once I started messing with parts I knew I was committed to going all the way. And if I hadn't started then I'd have probably been finished by now! :lol:

But will do! Grinding on steel's just a slow process, especially when you're making things up as you go along

Thanks man! I'm no pro, so I doubt I'll get it as good as it really could be. Though I'm studying pictures of DEC's steel mounts (I'd kill to get one of those!) and aiming for a similar level of crispness by the time I'm done.
Dave's steel mount and the model it's based on, built by the talented folks right here on this thread so long ago, really is still the best IMO. It has a fair amount of small, precise CNC marks (especially on the caps, to get those curves) fresh off the machine, but they sand away fairly easily. It really wasn't too difficult to maintain crispness.

It's really just that center knob that still bothers me. Would love to see a collective effort here to come up with a way to either mod the knob to look more like Field Marshall's center knob, or to mod a Field Marshall center knob to fit on the DEC mount (he sells just the center knobs). Anyone else with the steel DEC mount out there that's wondered about this?

Anyone know what the threading is on the DEC center knob?

I know that Dave's mount is supposed to a bit too tall (from what I remember some of the measurements were proportionally the same as the MR ANH Elite Edition mount), and that Field Marshall's mount has the correct height on the uprights. But Dave's mount is nice enough that I don't mind that fact haha

Another set from our Anonymous hero, to help get things back on track..with approval of course..:D

See anything?..maybe a Round/Tube center greeblie between the antennas?..as per the Greedo Blaster, instead of the T-Track we all thought was there for so many years ;)

-Carson

MS1.jpeg
MS2.jpeg
MS2-1.jpeg
MS2-2.jpeg

One thing I can better see now; the front disc on the lefthand side of the blaster is different between both castings. On the cast with the flash hider the square indent on the very edge of the disc is at about the 11 o'clock position, but on the cast without the flash hider that same little square cutout is at about the 7 o'clock location. So if this disc was rotated between casts, then perhaps it is NOT a brazed disc on the actual receiver's lower? This difference makes it seem like more of a greeblie...

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

One thing I can better see now; the front disc on the lefthand side of the blaster is different between both castings. On the cast with the flash hider the square indent on the very edge of the disc is at about the 11 o'clock position, but on the cast without the flash hider that same little square cutout is at about the 7 o'clock location. So if this disc was rotated between casts, then perhaps it is NOT a brazed disc on the actual receiver's lower? This difference makes it seem like more of a greeblie...

View attachment 1537427

View attachment 1537428
The front disc is definitely a found part - a Michell 50Hz 60Hz pulley - so these are two different parts glued to different casts.
The rear disc has saw-marks and I always thought that was the leftover bit from the mount. but the saw marks change direction from one cast to another!

Photos are all we have left of the various parts of this prop.. We simply just need to study together and find some things we've never noticed. Just like the good ol' days :D

The Merr Sonn is very well in connection with the Hero Blaster, so I think there's things we can learn with these..

-Carson

Last edited:
Ok, I was not aware of that. My primary knowledge is just about the ANH hero prop itself, though I am sorely lacking in understanding about the various details and components of the other props/blasters.

I am just saying this as the discs not being brazed makes me think the lower is not the Naked Runner's lower, which is something I recall being told in the past. So could both the upper and lower be from the Hero before it was assembled by Bapty? Or maybe just another lower entirely?

EDIT: It's times like this where I'm jealous of the Blade Runner folks, who actually have later generation resin casts of the screen-used prop as it was being made in production! Just imagine if we all had casts like these of the Hero prop; ones that were freely available to purchase online so that everybody could have their own and study them in person!

Last edited:
All in good sport, I am woefully inept at models\
that part is all over Imperial Officer hats, the Rebel Trooper blasters, set decoration, Greedo's blaster, etc. There is a larger 50Hz model and a smaller 60 Hz one. The original reject/second parts they bought in bulk probably had the notch, it's supposed to be there. I think some are around without the notch, and were made in bulk for Star Wars at request.

Also note the 'stems' sticking out of the inside of the Cylinder/Veron Greeblies on the sides.. Antenna-Rods maybe? No way to know for sure, but still a new detail that we can 'finally' see! =b

-Carson

Good eye,.... Still looking at details. I'm going to make a prediction that the rear disc is a separate piece that might be covering something.

nice to see I'm not the only one to accidentally melt plastic greeblies! The tomtit cylinders on the broken blaster are melted where they meet

Folks, see if you can find the "dot" from the first picture and the "right angle" and "double marks in the upper left center section" from the second photo
are they on the power 5?
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 6.49.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 6.49.24 PM.png

Thank you deadbolt! I’m creating some of those parts now so this perfect timing These will be extremely helpful. The front of the flash hide I Believe also looks something like this. I remember seeing a picture of Leia holding it if I remember correctly..
AD9C49F2-6615-48BC-818E-48241CA5D966.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back