ANH CHESTBOX red and green BUTTONS

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by paulcarson, May 6, 2006.

1. paulcarson

paulcarson Well-Known Member

Following on from a fantastic discovery of the green lights on Vaders beltboxes in "A new hope" lets see if we can pool our resources and find the elusive "buttons" which in fact were lamp / light covers? (correct me if I'm wrong)

I know at least a couple of members here have the correct found items, so lets see if we can find some more.

Come on Guys lets get the ball rolling.

2. Darth Phaeton

Darth Phaeton Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulcarson @ May 6 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1239503[/snapback]</div>
    Great idea.

Lets see some sharing folks. It will NOT hurt. I know this for a fact. :p

Dan

3. cking

cking Sr Member

Paul,

They've already been found. A few of us have them on our chestboxes. However, I was told that mine came from the last available batch. They are old, discontinued parts and there doesn't seem to be a modern replacement for them. Sadly, I don't know the part number or real description of them.

However, I believe GINO should be able to help out with some more info because I was told that he bought a lot of the last batch. Let's hope he can share the knowledge.

If he did get the last batch, I think these are going to be a lot harder to find than the belt box lights.

Chris

4. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cking @ May 6 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]1239561[/snapback]</div>

Could we please get some close up pics of them? :D

Dan

5. cking

cking Sr Member

Here's a quick pic.

[​IMG]

6. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cking @ May 6 2006, 07:10 PM) [snapback]1239571[/snapback]</div>

Awesome, Thanks.

Let the search begin :D

Dan

7. TK-4140

TK-4140 Well-Known Member

Hey Chris,

ty very much for the pic that´s very interresting may I ask also were you found that parts? What i mean is in which kind of shop or did you get them from another member here?

Greetings Guido

8. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Interesting...they seem to have a little lip at the top...perhaps they are meant to overlap each other? Do we know what the original use for these bezels were? That may lead to a clue as to where to find them now....

9. paulcarson

Hi Chris, :)

thanks for the information on the parts. I'll continue to keep looking . I wonder if Gino will chime in and offer up some help? (looking for an emoticon for fingers crosed. )

10. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

Yes, unfortunately there are no identification markings on them...

11. TK-4140

TK-4140 Well-Known Member

Possible to get a pic from the side view? I would like to see how they look from the side and putted on the chestbox.

Greetings Guido

12. paulcarson

I know that they were found a while back. I'm sure that the member responsible will identify himself. I'd like to try to identify WHERE they came from , as in what were they used on?

13. darth buffalo

darth buffalo Well-Known Member

more pics of different angles of these chestbox buttons would be very welcome

Now that identifying the Darth vader ANH chestbox buttons has started, can anyone chime in how correct he other greeblies are, that were offered on the RPF? like the coin slots and the side bars??? size? shape?

i have resin copies of those chestbox buttons, but they look way to big according my coin slots and side bars I have, hence the question I stated above

I think/hope eventually everything will be found and confirmed, just like they did with the Obi saber, at least I hope so...

cheers, clint

14. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are these the same things on the landspeeder dashboard?
    [​IMG]

15. paulcarson

I actually considered the lights in the scene where the stormtroopers are looking for the droids to be close. They are on the wall near to the door when one of the troopers knocks and says something like " there's no-one here"

sorry don't have a screengrab ...

16. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

An industrial push button/lamp ? Maybe removed from a housing or sorts?

17. Killdozer

Killdozer Active Member

18. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

The one's on the landspeeder seem to have a larger border...

19. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

20. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

The original pieces would have been from some electrical suppliers.
    as mentioned earlier, probably something you'd find in a plant room or switchgear panneling.
    they are designed to be housed in a acrylic plastic casing (recessed).

21. paulcarson

I received this from Ghost Host (thanks Steve. ) and have his full permission to post this image. For everyone who always wondered what the lights looked like here you go...

(and if anyone finds a set I want one of each please. :lol )

[​IMG]

22. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I would say with technology what it is today, someone could cast those up in the exact same clear colors if they wanted to.

23. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yep that's the real deal... :) Nice pics by the way.

Dave

24. darth buffalo

darth buffalo Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(clutch @ May 8 2006, 04:22 PM) [snapback]1240504[/snapback]</div>
    that would do for me

very nice pics....

25. Darth Phaeton

Fantastic pics.

Thanks for sharing the info Steve.

The Vader community owe you.

LET THE SEARCH BEGIN :D

26. paulcarson

Do we know of anyone who can replicate these then? I'd bet that there would be no shortage of takers. Of course we need to have a set of the originals to be able to copy them. Catch 22 eh?

27. Darthmagpie

Darthmagpie Well-Known Member

Smooth-on makes a clear resin that you can tint and still have them translucent. My friend changed the color of his environmental contol indicators in his car with it and it looked great.

28. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

My pleasure. My thanks goes to Vaderdarth for his generosity to give this set to me once upon a time.

29. lambotour

lambotour Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghost Host @ May 8 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]1240839[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Steve for sharing and PC for posting :)

30. vaderdarth

I was able to replicate these fairly well. The only difference is mine were not hollow on the back. But since the resin was tinted and very very mildly opaqued, you couldn't tell which was real and which was memorex. :) If I'm not mistaken, Ghost Host has a photo of the real and replica lamps side by side that I fabricated. I seemed to have misplaced that photo. The originals were moulded with silicon (in a pressure pot) and the castings were clear (alumilite acrylic) tinted with clear red dye and a tiny amount of red opaque dye..............same for the green one. Believe it or not.........though the green color appears almost "aqua" at times...........this is actually achieved with only the basic dyes. No addition of any other color than red for red and green for green. It took me almost 10 different mixes to get the right depth of color and opacity. I still didn't nail it perfectly on both colors but I got it so close that if you could only tell if the rep and real ones were actually touching. I have no current plans to replicate these at this time because I'm in the middle of moving/packing/selling our house etc... It would be mid summer before I could consider it again.

Dave :)

31. Goldenrod

Goldenrod Sr Member

is it mid summer yet?:)
    Color me interested if you do a run of these Dave.
    And thanks for sharing the pics Steve;-)

32. Darth Phaeton

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghost Host @ May 8 2006, 11:27 PM) [snapback]1240839[/snapback]</div>

You are both a STAR upon the Vader sky :D

33. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

I matched the colors EXACTLY in oil paints...

Green lamp = PHTHALO GREEN
    Red lamp = ALIZARIN CRIMSON

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  34. paulcarson

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghost Host @ May 9 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]1241020[/snapback]</div>
    Cool. Thanks Steve. Is there anyway we can replicate these colours onto the buttons? It seems a shame for us to run out of steam now as the momentum has begun.

35. vaderdarth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paulcarson @ May 9 2006, 08:42 AM) [snapback]1241259[/snapback]</div>
    Cool. Thanks Steve. Is there anyway we can replicate these colours onto the buttons? It seems a shame for us to run out of steam now as the momentum has begun.
    [/b][/quote]

Paul, you don't want them painted this color........you just want the buttons moulded in these colors. Again, Standard resin dyes come in the correct red and green. GH was just giving you some paint colors that are the same hue.

Dave :)

36. paulcarson

Thats what I was getting at, I'm not very good with words today for some reason.

37. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Thanks for sharing guys

Its exactly what this hobby is about but its just great to see it when it happens

Cheers

Jez

38. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Guys, where exactly did you get these? Any clues as to their origin?

39. vaderdarth

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ May 9 2006, 11:42 AM) [snapback]1241361[/snapback]</div>
    They were obtained from an online electronics distributor........unfortunately the items are no longer on their website. The item was not made after 1980 or so. They just had some old stock.

Dave

40. vader71

vader71 Sr Member

Those are really sweet red and green buttons. When you get ready to cast the originals again be sure to add me to your list. B)

41. vaderdarth

Will do V71. :)

Dave

42. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Sr Member

Count me in if you do a run.

43. vaderdarth

I won't start a list as I'm a scatterbrain. But I will post them on this board when I have a few sets ready to go. :)

Dave

44. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Thanks for sharing Steve. Nice to see that kind of thing happening.

45. yodakiller1138

yodakiller1138 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Put me on the interest list for the buttons as well.

Scott :D

46. star-art

star-art Sr Member

I figured there was probably a thread on this, glad I checked before starting a new one.

I finally got a set of lamps in the original packaging. I have a feeling only a couple people know what they really are and lots would like to know. In the spirit of sharing info, and since I was not told this was a secret, here goes:

They are lenses for an illuminated switch. The switch was made by MICRO SWITCH, now a division of Honeywell. There are two components -- the lens and a tinted plastic cover. Only the lens was used. They come in different colors including white, red and green.

The part number for the switch is 2A68. The part number for the red lens is 2A81 (not confirmed but a very good guess). There is also a 2A56 lens with cover, could be the green.

The package I have that has a green lens and green cover is stamped 2A68, but that does not match the data I have found in parts databases.

These parts are long discontinued. The best place to find them is a distributor who specializes in old and obsolete parts. The problem is many of these places won't sell in small batches so you would have to buy in bulk. I found such a place that has them in stock, but they have a $300 minimum order. I don't have the resources to deal with something like this, and I have enough of the buttons for my own replica chestbox anyway.

If anyone out there knows a company that might be able to locate some, now you know exactly what to look for. Let us know what you find. Try to confirm which part number is which color.

And PLEASE for goodness sakes don't anyone take this info and get a batch of these really cheap and then try to sell them for a ridiculous markup. I know they're rare but these are just little bits of plastic.. If you do find them, please return the favor by letting me know.

:)

47. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Good thing i already have a set on my box and an extra set on it's way :D