Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

You can do it!!
Meh, my results were not very impressive. I used Tamiya weathering kit, snow and sand and grey fullers earth, I did throw in some rust, brown and green originally on another attempt but they were too dark and didn’t pick up very well. I used a brush to apply the stuff but maybe I need to rub them in with a make up stick to make the powders really stick?

46137439_487720595052716_1057149622306209792_n.jpg

Meh, my results were not very impressive. I used Tamiya weathering kit, snow and sand and grey fullers earth, I did throw in some rust, brown and green originally on another attempt but they were too dark and didn’t pick up very well. I used a brush to apply the stuff but maybe I need to rub them in with a make up stick to make the powders really stick?

View attachment 940432

If you can wait a week I’ll be doing this shortly on the last batch of v2’s I’m working on. I’ll make a video explaining how to do it.

I’m fighting freezing tempatures right now, I got waaaay too much gasoline in the shed right now to turn on my propane heater :/

Once I get a day above 45degrees I’m gonna paint, then I can record how to add the Tamiya and fullers earth

One day I’ll get this saber back into the fold.

Shout out to halliwax for this thread. It’s extremely informative for those who get this amazing saber. It’s also just a blast to read through.

I always love coming back and reading updates on everyone’s work.

Keep ‘em coming and great work to everyone here.

One day I’ll get this saber back into the fold.

Shout out to halliwax for this thread. It’s extremely informative for those who get this amazing saber. It’s also just a blast to read through.

I always love coming back and reading updates on everyone’s work.

Keep ‘em coming and great work to everyone here.

Glad I could help, and entertain you

If you can wait a week I’ll be doing this shortly on the last batch of v2’s I’m working on. I’ll make a video explaining how to do it.

I’m fighting freezing tempatures right now, I got waaaay too much gasoline in the shed right now to turn on my propane heater :/

Once I get a day above 45degrees I’m gonna paint, then I can record how to add the Tamiya and fullers earth

That would be fantastic! I’m a learn by seeing/doing kinda guy so a video tutorial would be super helpful.

Stay warm out there!

We got a snow storm last night, lost power for 6 hours.. fun... but weather looks warmer this weekend. If I can bang it out I’ll do that video instead of the clamp mod video

Was planning on the clamp mod this weekend but I’ll do the rings first

It’s kinda tricky at first, we’ll not really tricky it’s time consuming. Because you do baby steps taking pictures with the flash all the time

It’s very soft when looking at it with the human eye, but with a camera flash you can get it to look exactly like Brandon’s Facebook picture. The stuff works awesome

I won’t leave ya hanging, just fighting the cold ;)

First off, thank you halliwax for the amazing thread!

Do you or anyone here have any tips on weathering Roy’s lever? Thx.

I have somewhere here a little write up on what I do

When I do the clamp mod video I will show what I do to the lever

unfortunately I don’t have a finish lever around right now to show ya but..

The top of the lever I weather lightly with sand paper and I mean very lightly, I then buff it with 0000 steel wool, then lightly tap it with a nail to make some chips/dings in the top area near the pin

I then blue it with super blue, I use very little because this sucker blues deep blue quick.

Take it down with steel wool, I also blue the underside

Then I rub it all down with Tamiya weathering product to get it in all the cracks.

You can see the top of the lever (near the pin) is a much deeper color in the pop culture quest video

Knock down the Tamiya with water to get the lever you want

I give a light spray of hair spray, Then I blow some grey and brown/red fullers earth on it and call it down ;)

I will have a clamp mode video coming soon. I had one already but I screwed up and made it overly complicating, I got some new tricks to make it easier

Clamp mod

Ring weathering

I don’t know what else left I have to cover? I think I covered it all? Then I plan on moving into the v2+v3 builders kit and working on that, I got something big coming up with that, just need the damn parts to show up...

I've just realised I've totally overlooked paint chips on the underside of the emitter... Can't believe I've never not considered it and left it black, it came to light looking through the thread (it's a slow work day in the office and it's genuinely the only time I have to look through here as life is super busy with the kids). Are there any reference pictured for the V2 from the underside up or is it a 'go with your gut' kinda weathering? Though I'll certainly be using this pic of yours.

b092d91fcb3c27b8bd284563a9f60fad.jpg

I've just realised I've totally overlooked paint chips on the underside of the emitter... Can't believe I've never not considered it and left it black, it came to light looking through the thread (it's a slow work day in the office and it's genuinely the only time I have to look through here as life is super busy with the kids). Are there any reference pictured for the V2 from the underside up or is it a 'go with your gut' kinda weathering? Though I'll certainly be using this pic of yours.

View attachment 941084

Yeah is there an officially collated stockpile of reference images?

Between the celebration 7 photos and the pop culture quest video we have a ton of reference

None of my chips I make are random, each one is from a reference photo. Even in the ring section, they are all suppose to be there

“Nothing random”

I didn’t forget ya guys. My great,great uncle passed away Saturday. His family (my cousins) all live in NJ, so they are all up here this weekend with us. So I haven’t had much free time.

I JUST finished doing a video of the ring section just now. I just don’t have the time tonight to upload it, so I’ll do it tomorrow night once my family leaves back to NJ.

Don’t want you guys thinking I left ya hanging

Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope the rest of the family are keeping well. Don't worry about any uploads, other things take priority.

thanks a lot guys! he was a real cool man. my grand fathers, and all their brothers all serviced in WWII. we have slowly lost them over the years, my uncle Les was the last of this group. 91 years old, i hope i can live as long as that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back