Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial (Master Thread)

Re: Anakin Starkiller FX V2 - Aging Weathering & Stencil Tutorial

Another member shared the easiest way to do d-rings WITHOUT having to cut them or otherwise damage them: chain link pliers.

A HUGE improvement in the D-ring process.

View attachment 849644

I am installing flawless D-rings in under 10 minutes with these.
Good ol' link spreaders! I've used the heck out of mine at work. When I was working on Constantine (the TV show, not the movie) I put up so many hanging light fixtures I drove myself crazy.

No self respecting set dresser would be caught dead without his/her trusty link spreaders!

And yeah, they're great for D rings, too!

I should probably get myself a second set to keep at home for prop stuff.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Finally finished my V2. Still waiting on my lever from Wannawanga, but I'm happy how it turned out, especially the neck. It looks black until the light hits it then it's got a copper sheen. Used Trents stencils and neck part for the gaffers tape, the A14 technique that Halliwax posted, Romans clamp and Slothcard circuit board.
The link pliers suggestion was a lifesaver; 2 minutes and it was installed with no problem.

Image-1.jpegImage.jpeg

received_729984244036327.jpeg

Thanks you again for this thread and your you tube videos. I never paint so actually seeing theach process is so helpful and really gives me confidence to have a go. UK based so don't have access to much rustoleum so bought some model kit brown enamels. The camera pics up the browns well but it's much more dark and subtle in person.

Post pictures, I like the different levels in the patina, it gives it a more realistic look, and even on the real prop it looks like there is different shading in the patina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got around to taking some pictures.

I present the calico V2 :lol

v2 F.jpg
V2 G.jpg
V2 H.jpg
V2 I.jpg
V2 J.jpg

Silver lining, if someone wanted to do post-Mustafar duel Obi-Wan saber, this might be a cool technique.

Anyways I'm hoping to do a round two, and this time with distiled water, hopfully it will even out a little bit.

View attachment 851040

Thanks you again for this thread and your you tube videos. I never paint so actually seeing theach process is so helpful and really gives me confidence to have a go. UK based so don't have access to much rustoleum so bought some model kit brown enamels. The camera pics up the browns well but it's much more dark and subtle in person.

Oh man! I can tell you followed the instructions to the tee!! Really really nice out come!!

I have some BIG surprises coming, I’ve had a few rain days here so I couldn’t paint clients V2’s so I played on a few of my own props

;)

Finally got around to taking some pictures.

I present the calico V2 :lol

View attachment 851049
View attachment 851050
View attachment 851051
View attachment 851052
View attachment 851053

Silver lining, if someone wanted to do post-Mustafar duel Obi-Wan saber, this might be a cool technique.

Anyways I'm hoping to do a round two, and this time with distiled water, hopfully it will even out a little bit.
Have you tried taking steel wool and Scotch-Brite to it? Mine came out of the bleach looking like that too, but I was able to smooth it way down with about 45 minutes of work.

You can see some of it in this post. These pictures were taken after the steel wool, so you can't see a great before-and-after, but you can still see the splotches between the rings, and trust me, they were elsewhere too: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=293302&page=9&p=4524287&viewfull=1#post4524287

Last edited:
The bleach and steel wool method worked really well for me. The trick is building up depth with several treatments, and going slow and steady with the steel wool to keep the tonal difference subtle-yet-distinctive. I spent a dollar for a bottle of bleach, which can do wonders if one doesn’t want to go all-out with expensive A14.

Working on kr sabers v2. Tried out satin lacquer which looks loads better on the pommel, not sure about the black paint, may make it look too shiny (bottom one has a bit of lacquer on). I found Matt made the aluminium look too flat.

Anyways, I'll be attempting the dust in the rings tonight. I'm very nervous! Picked up 2 master weathering kits and some grey fuller's earth. Wish me luck!

20181109_083527.jpg 20181109_083533.jpg

You can do it!!
Ha cheers. I need more on there. Hard to get a sense what'll show in the light of day when you are working under the kitchen table (fitting the hobby around family and work). Even the neck appears super brown but in the day it's nice and dark. Will have another crack anther day.

I messed up when applying Trent’s stencil’s so I’m waiting for him to get more in stock. Hopefully soon! Meanwhile, I finally received Roy’s awesome clamp lever, and can now focus on clamp weathering. One thing I noted is that the clamp sits open wider without that left sidebar, which seems to match the real prop pretty well. Fortunately, the clamp card still has a nice friction-fit.

In the meantime, I’ll need to check my references for the clamp damage/weathering. Any tips or reference would be appreciated!

Oh, and pastel chalk weathering is pretty darn easy. I anticipate no problems in weathering the grenade rings. I have a Tamiya set (rust, soot, snow-white), as well as some good ‘ol artist pastel chalk sticks which I grind down to powder with sandpaper. Very easy to mix and match colors, that way.

The windvane color is tricky, I usually do 3 days of fooling around with it. I do my initial setup like in the video I made

Let that dry over night, then take photos with the flash on

With the flash off you want it to almost look black, but it’s got a glossy finish to it

With the flash on you want that to look a reddish brown

Here I am fooling around with one
1E6B4F49-1685-4E01-ABD9-436BDA0241BC.jpeg

And here the same exact thing except flash off
910BCA6C-36AE-4B6F-8683-11ACDCC62D46.jpeg

looks like this thread is all screwed up from the merge... its fonts have all changed, and now lists all the photos again at the end of the post. anyone know how to fix this issue with the photos? i edited it, deleted all the duplicate photos at the end, but they showed back up... overly aggravated by this...

ok so the after the sites upgrade i noticed this morning the master thread was destroyed... many of the photos were doubled, tripled and even post number 4 was quadrupled.. it took me awhile to figure out how to permantely delete the photos.

i had to re edit, re upload and host, and re edit all the photos and text AGAIN. this took me 3-1/2 hours... ready to have a stroke over this...

so i finished this thread and figured i would start on the v2 v3 builders kit thread. but surprisingly that thread isn't suffering from the doppelgänger effect the master thread has.

i have a wild theory.. the new site upgrade will not allow more then 20 photos in 1 post. maybe this is why the thread went haywire and attached so many duplicates of themselves? it was a complete mess... but i got it all straighten out now... if anyone is going through my threads and finds more broken posts like this can you please PM me letting me know. ill do my best to fix it as fast as possible, i got way too many hours into these tutorials to just throw them away...

you cant say i dont love you guys..

UPDATES
-Updated posts 1,2,3,4 with correct photo counts

-Split stencil thread into 2 threads thanks to the site upgrades new 20 photo limit. (thankfully i reserved some posts so i could move it around accurately)

Last edited:
Lol no way!! I wouldn’t want that chemical in my tub!

That stuff turns my stomach, has a nasty smell, and will eat through a Buick if left on it long enough... nasty stuff

The v2 in the tub is what I do to all of them before stenciling

I use either simple green, or dawn dish soap. Throw some in my tub then throw all my V2 parts in the tub and give a light scrubbing with only my hands

Just to remove all the grease from handling it before I stencil

I just fixed the whole tutorial, I got it pretty well step by step with how to use a14.

This picture I posted in the tub with my duck was just a inside joke. I got a rubber duck theme in my bathroom and all my guests that come over think it’s hilarious

I’m a avid cyclist so they get a kick out of this as well

91E3DC65-F229-4C5C-9CBA-194482B6959D.jpeg

Ha, understood. I’m at that stage now- chemical treatment done, need to clean before stenciling. Been following the guide, very happy with the results thus far, don’t want to mess it up now. Just the info I was looking for. Thank you sir!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back