Anakin Starkiller’s Darth Maul Assembly Tutorial Thread

Heads up, it looks like your guys' inner o-rings (the ones between the middle and the ends) aren't lined up correctly. If this reference image is correct, they should be pushed farther from the center to right before the black rings:

lightsaber-jpg-jpg.1014678

Yeah I noted this...but since there’s no recess to hold the ring, in the area noted adjacent to the concentric rings, the “O” ring simply floats around in that general area. So, I made an artistic adaptation to roll my “O” rings into the recessed ring near the red button to hold them snug. I am sure the rings rolled up and down in that area during filming.

Last edited:
Man those are gorgeous

aw were the center holes like a millimeter off, causing the center shift?

Tom, the bore through each half is sized with a little wiggle room for a threaded rod. I estimate on mine there is about 1-1.5mm clearance beyond the rod’s diameter the whole way around the rod’s circumference (meaning, if everything is centered, .5-.75mm gap around the threaded rod). I think the asymetrical nature of producing repros of a cast sort of lends itself to this imperfection, but it would probably be fixed (or made less noticeable) if a .5-.75mm thick sleeve or bushing could go around the rod at the “center” end of each half. I’m going to try wrapping masking tape around a paper sleeve and pushing that down into end of each half to see if that helps it any.

Last edited:
Okay, so I tried filling the gap by wrapping masking tape around the threads and although the pre-tightening wobbliness is practically eliminated, there is still a bit of mismatching due again probably to the nature of these replicas of a cast and not being machined.

The “gap” mentioned:
43F030FB-9B74-4551-963E-0375E83D12FA.jpeg

96D70966-052A-41AC-A16A-F8C9E3A1C9FE.jpeg

The tape filler wrapped around the threaded rod:
0BD6AAFE-8752-4787-8E4B-7BC8CAAA2AEF.jpeg

The two center ends together, separated by a washer:
C3DA7A06-B9D3-4C01-88C2-EA4BC638A09A.jpeg

442678BD-2729-4219-B973-EC0DAC2A3EC3.jpeg

You can see the misalignment most evidently where the blue arrows are:
9EB594E9-6F07-4B88-BADA-FB77DD1FBFB1.jpeg

52DD3169-FCE9-43F7-ADC5-D9EDB3759B2F.jpeg

So, it is what it is.
And “what it is” is the most accurate Darth Maul Hero Saber complete with asymmetry, just like the real props and costumes from the OT.
Dan, you really killed it.

I’m so glad I got two of these.

Put mine together today, and added the Covertec. Just waiting for replacement 3/8” discs for the endcaps from Anakin Starkiller, and it should be done!

I almost feel like there should be more to this build, but 80% of the work was done when it arrive at my door! About the only other tweak I can think of is finding a more accurate (?) shade of red for the buttons.

neat! sorry, im just learning because I get fascinated with how props are assembled and this is like the only screen accurate one out there - wasn't getting critical :)

Got a new picture from
Another thread

Here is the saber that is blown apart in two, when Obi wan Slices it in half

You get 2-3 frames of a clear view of the lever - a few frames later it seems as though Park has squeezed it right as the sparks go off, but the motion and Obi-wan's lightsaber obscure whether the separation or sparks (or both?) occurred with the lever press:

upload_2019-5-4_13-18-58.png

Maybe someone can make a 3d printed file for those exposed cross sections?
I think it'll be a relatively simple mod to AS's Maul kit if it's shared on shapeways

Don’t tell me this.. anyone want to go in on a half kit with me?
Like, half a Maul hilt?

I've never seen that pyro stunt hilt before, either!

That's so cool, it reminds me of the telegraph button Graflex. Should that have been the activation switch on Maul's hilt, like for real?

Last edited:
Like, half a Maul hilt?

I've never seen that pyro stunt hilt before, either!

That's so cool, it reminds me of the telegraph button Graflex. Should that have been the activation switch on Maul's hilt, like for real?

The proto staff I saw, I can’t for the life of me remember who showed me... I should have saved it. It was much shorter

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back