Amazon's Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Old thread, but I saw this today.

Thats $450 million US on this first season.
Is that 8, 10, 12, 18, or 24 episodes. That's slide the 'holy crap meter' one way or the other with that knowledge. I'd guess 10, and 45M per ep, it's still a good cheaper than a 2 hour movie these days.

Bezos probably found that much in his couch cushions though :)

In all seriousness, though, how many people do you think sign up for prime due to this? You need 4.5M new subscribers to break even. I don't see that happening. I mean, i have prime, but, i still come out ahead with free shipping. I wonder what their criteria is for this to be successful?

Is that 8, 10, 12, 18, or 24 episodes. That's slide the 'holy crap meter' one way or the other with that knowledge. I'd guess 10, and 45M per ep, it's still a good cheaper than a 2 hour movie these days.

Bezos probably found that much in his couch cushions though :)

In all seriousness, though, how many people do you think sign up for prime due to this? You need 4.5M new subscribers to break even. I don't see that happening. I mean, i have prime, but, i still come out ahead with free shipping. I wonder what their criteria is for this to be successful?

I would have to assume ten episodes...seems to be the “norm” these days.

I also was trying to figure out how exactly they make money off of this. I’m almost wondering if it’s some weird tax scheme, where they can effectively say “Well, we didn’t get enough new Prime members to cover this, so it’s a loss!!! Hello tax breaks!!!”

It just seems like an absurd amount of money for a television series...one that I’m not even sure will be a homerun. I mean, I’m a huge LOTR fan, and even I was pretty lukewarm to The Hobbit films.

I’ll be honest, I’m caustiously hopeful, but there not enough context in this teaser to really come to any conclusions. Last shot reminds me of Gandalf’s hand holding a Hobbit’s hand though…
I have pretty high hopes.

It sounds like it’s going to be set in The Second Age, so while some characters from the films we’ve seen will exist, we should have a lot of things to see that aren’t really familiar to the majority of folks.

I have pretty high hopes.

It sounds like it’s going to be set in The Second Age, so while some characters from the films we’ve seen will exist, we should have a lot of things to see that aren’t really familiar to the majority of folks.
Supposedly the first two episodes will be a summation of the First Age and will have a total run time of 3 hours between the two of them

1644807526748.jpeg

I heard that this isn't following any stories laid out by Tolkien, as Amazon doesn't have the rights to Silmarillion etc. So consider this some sort of a loose prequel to LOTR.

They don't have the rights to Silmarillion. However they do have the rights to the LOTR Appendices, which outline what happened -- roughly -- in the first and second age. So I have a feeling they'll add enough extras which won't contradict what is in Akallabeth and Rings of Power and the Third Age, the two parts of Silmarillion which really chronicle the 2nd age.

TBH I'd love just a miniseries of just the Akallabeth.

I heard that this isn't following any stories laid out by Tolkien, as Amazon doesn't have the rights to Silmarillion etc. So consider this some sort of a loose prequel to LOTR.
I do believe they also have the rights to The Unfinished Tales, which has most of the material on the second age.

The trailer has me intrigued, which is more than I can say for 99% of trailers these days. The shot of what I assume is a Numenorean city looked great. lots of speculation about the meteor. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it lives up to expectation.

I do believe they also have the rights to The Unfinished Tales, which has most of the material on the second age.
I know they have the rights to LOTR and therefore the appendices. I've also heard they've reportedly gained some rights to parts UT and Silm, but I've only heard that, never seen it confirmed.

What I think may have happened is that they want to use stuff in the Appendices (which they legally have the rights to) -- but that stuff is also in duplicated in UF and Silm. Maybe they had to smooth that over with Tolkiens estate, or perhaps some of the materials.

Regardless as to their legal rights to LOTR materials, it would still be bad PR for a BILLION dollar series if Tolkiens estate balked and griped about it. Amazon's a TRILLION dollar company -- easier to to grease the wheels a little for PRs sake.

I know they have the rights to LOTR and therefore the appendices. I've also heard they've reportedly gained some rights to parts UT and Silm, but I've only heard that, never seen it confirmed.

What I think may have happened is that they want to use stuff in the Appendices (which they legally have the rights to) -- but that stuff is also in duplicated in UF and Silm. Maybe they had to smooth that over with Tolkiens estate, or perhaps some of the materials.

Regardless as to their legal rights to LOTR materials, it would still be bad PR for a BILLION dollar series if Tolkiens estate balked and griped about it. Amazon's a TRILLION dollar company -- easier to to grease the wheels a little for PRs sake.
I believe they actually acquired additional rights besides The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings /The Appendicies after Christopher died because the grandchildren (great grandchildren?) actually liked the films and were happy to negotiate. I’ll have to see if I can find that info again

I believe they actually acquired additional rights besides The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings /The Appendicies after Christopher died because the grandchildren (great grandchildren?) actually liked the films and were happy to negotiate. I’ll have to see if I can find that info again
I know Christopher was absolutely against any rights to anything, and even mentioned if he could he'd rescind all rights to film, movie etc , audio books, everything, if he could. Christopher even cut off relatives for even MENTIONING they liked the movies.

But when Christopher died, I know there was rumor of the estate softening about rights etc. If you find the article, I'd love to see it. Thanks.

I know Christopher was absolutely against any rights to anything, and even mentioned if he could he'd rescind all rights to film, movie etc , audio books, everything, if he could. Christopher even cut off relatives for even MENTIONING they liked the movies.

But when Christopher died, I know there was rumor of the estate softening about rights etc. If you find the article, I'd love to see it. Thanks.
I know the great grandchildren loved the films. Several even had cameos in them

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back