Amazon's Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

cboath

Master Member

Old thread, but I saw this today.

Thats $450 million US on this first season.
Is that 8, 10, 12, 18, or 24 episodes. That's slide the 'holy crap meter' one way or the other with that knowledge. I'd guess 10, and 45M per ep, it's still a good cheaper than a 2 hour movie these days.

Bezos probably found that much in his couch cushions though :)

In all seriousness, though, how many people do you think sign up for prime due to this? You need 4.5M new subscribers to break even. I don't see that happening. I mean, i have prime, but, i still come out ahead with free shipping. I wonder what their criteria is for this to be successful?

Gimpdiggity

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Is that 8, 10, 12, 18, or 24 episodes. That's slide the 'holy crap meter' one way or the other with that knowledge. I'd guess 10, and 45M per ep, it's still a good cheaper than a 2 hour movie these days.

Bezos probably found that much in his couch cushions though :)

In all seriousness, though, how many people do you think sign up for prime due to this? You need 4.5M new subscribers to break even. I don't see that happening. I mean, i have prime, but, i still come out ahead with free shipping. I wonder what their criteria is for this to be successful?

I would have to assume ten episodes...seems to be the “norm” these days.

I also was trying to figure out how exactly they make money off of this. I’m almost wondering if it’s some weird tax scheme, where they can effectively say “Well, we didn’t get enough new Prime members to cover this, so it’s a loss!!! Hello tax breaks!!!”

It just seems like an absurd amount of money for a television series...one that I’m not even sure will be a homerun. I mean, I’m a huge LOTR fan, and even I was pretty lukewarm to The Hobbit films.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.