Amazon's Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Looking forward to the finale this week. I'm actually more curious about the story and the characters than the Sauron reveal we al know is coming. Although I'm curious about that as well.

I finally understand how the Numenoreans were able to fit all those personnel, horses and supplies into their smallish ships. It was so obvious.
FeDWGW5XoAAIPDL.png

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky…

I thought that was a PHENOMENAL season finale. It answered burning questions, set in motion the story we will be told over the next four seasons, and kept me glued to my TV.

I understand they started filming season 2 about two weeks ago, and it will be released in a couple years. I feel like that’s going to be a very, very long wait.

A lot to unpack here…

but to start easy, why use the PJ Balrog design, but then completely redesign the 3 rings? Really not a fan of how those looked here.

And weren’t the rings for the dwarf lords and men supposed to be made first?

The reveal felt incredibly lazy… was really hoping Annatar was already in Eregion and hadn’t been seen yet.

And they all but confirmed the stranger is Gandalf, showing up an entire age before he’s supposed to.[\SPOILER]

Last edited:
A lot to unpack here…

but to start easy, why use the PJ Balrog design, but then completely redesign the 3 rings? Really not a fan of how those looked here.

And weren’t the rings for the dwarf lords and men supposed to be made first?

The reveal felt incredibly lazy… was really hoping Annatar was already in Eregion and hadn’t been seen yet.

And they all but confirmed the stranger is Gandalf, showing up an entire age before he’s supposed to.[\SPOILER]
That's what you get when you compress thousands of years of story progression into mere weeks or months at the most. Yes, Annatar was supposed to arrive in Eregion about a thousand years into the Second Age; he was so fair in form that everyone was convinced he was probably a Maia from across the seas, that's why Celebrimbor and his Gwaith-i-Mirdain in were quick to trust him. Only Gil-galad and Galadriel were suspicious of him. Annatar taught them Ringlore - i.e. how to capture the essence and power of the wearer into rings, and with Celebrimbor, he crafted the Nine and the Seven. The three for the Elves were crafted by Celebrimbor on his own and when Annatar vanished, i.e. he returned as Sauron to Mordor and forged the One Ring, that was when Celebrimbor realized he was deceived. So he gave the three to Gil-galad, Galadriel and Cirdan for safekeeping. But the show skipped all that; not only were the Seven and the Nine rings absent, the whole concept of Ringlore - the knowledge that made those rings the Rings of Power itself was totally abandoned. So Halbrand just gave Celebrimbor metalurgical advice on how to mix ores? How exactly would that make the rings powerful? No explanation.

The whole mithril is a byproduct of the Silmaril and a cure for the Elves storyline is just ridiculous. If they needed mithril in huge quantities to "bathe" all Elves with its light, then what good would a sole crown worn by one individual, or three objects worn by three actually do? Will they be visiting every single elf in every nook and cranny of Middle Earth, walk around each individual to make sure they capture the light from the object thoroughly before moving on to the next one? The show gives ZERO explanation.

This show is a total joke. It's not based on the works of Tolkien. It debases it.

Serious question.

If you do not like this show, why exactly are you watching it?

Because I wanted to form my own opinions on it, rather than rely on others' takes. I'm a lifelong Tolkien fan so I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. I go into every episode hoping for it to be good and yet every one of them disappointed me. There were some bits that I liked but overall I think the show is plagued by bad writing, subpar acting and mind-bogglingly bad decision making. Watching this show has been so frustrating that I turned to The House of the Dragon, and I didn't even watch Game of Thrones. And lo and behold, HOTD is a far better show than this.

Because I wanted to form my own opinions on it, rather than rely on others' takes. I'm a lifelong Tolkien fan so I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. I go into every episode hoping for it to be good and yet every one of them disappointed me. There were some bits that I liked but overall I think the show is plagued by bad writing, subpar acting and mind-bogglingly bad decision making. Watching this show has been so frustrating that I turned to The House of the Dragon, and I didn't even watch Game of Thrones. And lo and behold, HOTD is a far better show than this.
So you basically rage-watched 8 episodes of a show.

Interesting.

Did you even read what I said or did you just formulate that based on your own warped perception?
Oh I read it, definitely. That’s why I said “Interesting.”

I’ve never in my life forced myself to sit through an entire season of a show that I truly didn’t like. Based on your posts in this thread, this show wasn’t doing it for you, yet you continued to watch.

As I stated. Interesting.

As a fan of Tolkien, did you almost feel as if you HAD to watch all of it, regardless of whether you weren’t really enjoying it?

I’ve read all of Tolkien’s works, but I’ve always been pretty good at accepting adaptations for what they are, and I found the show pretty enjoyable on the whole.

Last edited:
Can I offer an observation before things escalate? I realize I’m on the outside having only thus far watched isolated clips, and perhaps there’s a backstory to this disagreement of which I’m unaware, but setting that aside for a moment:

Respectfully, both parties seem to be treating one another a little unfairly.

kalkamel raised what at least appear at face value to be legitimate and logical criticisms worthy of discussion. At the same time, concluding in such absolute terms that the show is “a total joke” and “debases” the works of Tolkien probably doesn’t help. As much as I can understand that feeling – I’ve felt similarly about certain adaptations – arguing “that thing you’ve just expressed admiration for is definitively trash” (paraphrasing) rarely succeeds in convincing people to engage with your opinion.

Gimpdiggity likely felt mildly offended by that final statement. Not directly – they presumably did not work on the show – but it nevertheless could easily be taken as rather bluntly calling into question their personal taste (regardless of intent), predictably provoking a degree of defensiveness. At the same time, implying in response that people who don’t like the show shouldn’t be watching/commenting on it probably doesn’t help. I’ve done this with adaptations of material I adore, for precisely this reason – to give full benefit of the doubt despite immediate misgivings, and to be able to form my own opinions for the purpose of future discussion. I’ve also quit shows after two episodes and walked out of a couple of theater screenings. Both strategies are perfectly valid, and really not at all uncommon.

But by the same token that kalkamel ’s final line could be taken as dismissive to those who enjoy the show – again, regardless of intent – Gimpdiggity ’s characterization of continuing to watch the show as “rage-watching” comes across as dismissive to those who have been disappointed but gave the show a fair try, and to my eyes anyway, I picture a decent number of people interpreting “interesting” in this context as sarcasm. Saying that you’ve “always been pretty good at accepting adaptations” also seems to imply that those who don’t like the show are not good at this, when I’m sure we all know that not all adaptations are created equal.

I’ve really appreciated reading along with both perspectives for and against, to see what people think worked well or not-so-well, and why. I realize it’s coming at the expense of some spoilers, but maybe I’ll be convinced to try it out at some point down the road based on the expressed enthusiasm and arguments for its strengths. Or, maybe I’ll remain skeptical if legitimate criticisms are not met with reasonable counter-points. Or maybe – hopefully not – I’ll lose interest altogether if the discussion devolves from nuance into absolutes.

Thanks for reading; no hard feelings. Carry on.

Last edited:
I wonder if Halbrand really was trying to help the elves there for a bit, he felt very sincere, and i know part of the books is that he did want to join back with the light for a bit.

I'm nowtrying to recall if Halbrand ever met Isildur...

Last edited:
Well that was completely unexpected, but at the same time, not surprising considering the clues given since the very first meeting

The Halbrand thing was only really a surprise reveal to those who know a bit more of the background from the Appendixes, the SImarillion and other writings simply because it was so out of line with what one would have expected given the source material

The show has clearly gone off the rails from the source material

i.e. if the only thing you knew was literally that "Sauron at some point shows up in disguise and tricked the Elves" then it was pretty much telegraphed from the first episode while trying to bait you into thinking it was meteor man as a distraction

The thing was it seemed so obvious that I dismissed it as just another red herring, like what was being done with meteor man

I figured Halbrand would probably become a Nazgul but admit I started to get worried it was going to go down that way last week when she said she was taking him to the elves to heal

That also means the Stranger being Gandalf at this point is not as far fetched as it used to seem seeing how they are taking more liberty with the story

However, I personally am still enjoying it despite the derailing

I just pretend it is some high fantasy show inspired by the works of Tolkien

Something like the TV equivalent of the Iron Tower trilogy (a guilty pleasure ) :D

Honestly, I have rarely ever been happy with a movie adaptation of books anyway

While I may not agree, or may be disappointed something got cut or changed, I can see why things may need to change or get lost in translation between media.

Sure sometimes the changes are just bad decisions, unnecessary, or poor writing, but often they need to change because things can get confusing when you are essentially relying on just external dialogue and visual images to tell the story

You lose the narrator or internal thoughts point of view so things have to be reworked to be less confusing for some who may have never read the source material

It just becomes another version of the story that is it's own thing rather than something that ruins the original

Some shows do it very well while others struggle with it. I think the first few seasons of Game Of Thrones did a great job of keeping what was important to the core story and dropping what was unneeded fluff as well as adding character conversations that got some of that internal point of view expressed.

Last edited:
So, a few observations.

1. Not having the rights to the Silmarillion is a major problem for this show. It's going to continually cause problems with fans who know the canon (well, such as it is "canon" at all...), because it's not gonna jive with any of that info. As I gather it, the show has the rights to the ROTK appendices and that's about it. That's both good and bad. Good in the sense that they aren't bound by mountains of complicated canon, but bad in that they don't have anything beyond bullet points, family trees, etc. to work with, and so far I've not been convinced that their writing chops are up to snuff to fill the gaps.

2. My overall sense of the show is that it's leaning heavily on "vibes" and the needs of the TV format, rather than putting story first and then trying to fit that story to the format. For me, the most glaring example of this was the "speed of plot" travel, but there are other examples, some of which I'll spoiler tag below. The three...uh...whomever they were who were wandering around the harfoot area are a prime example of "vibes over story." They sure look impressive, and they clearly have neat-o powers, but we're never given any real time with them to understand who or what they are other than "funky-looking gals who can do fire magic stuff and glower a bunch." As a result, when they finally, briefly, explain who they are, I just....don't care because the show hasn't taken the time to make me care. In an effort to make thousands of years of appendix backstory accessible to television audiences, they're also ridiculously condensing material to the point where it stops making sense. Again, see the "travel at the speed of plot" bit, but also consider the Numenorian storyline. We're focusing on Elendil and Isildur and Tar Pharazon and whatnot, but, setting it chronologically alongside a ton of other events, even though there's supposed to be thousands of years between them. My guess is that the showrunners didn't think that they either had enough material to hold people's interest in the huge time gaps between major events, or they thought people would be overwhelmed by having a ton of different characters (like "Wait, which British-or-Commonwealth dude is this again? They all look the same and have funny names I can't keep track of.") who come and go in and out of the narrative, while the elves stay the same. So the solution seems to have been "Make all the major events happen within the span of about 3 weeks or so" and forget everything else. I'd also say that a lot of the "mysteries" inserted into the show seem to be much more built around audience manipulation than they do about the narrative itself. They feel like mysteries that are highlighted and perpetuated and spun in a way purely to keep the audience guessing, and as many of you know, I despise the hackery that is "Mystery Box" storytelling. And then they both maintain the mystery and give "confirmations" by doing a ton of "MEMBA THIS?!" fan service by having characters repeat dialogue we've heard them say before. "Stronger than the foundations of the earth," "To shadow you shall return," "This way smells fairer" yadda yadda yadda. Again, it feels forced and purely to manipulate the audience.

The opening of the finale with the three weird sisters telling Not-Gandalf-ok-just-kidding-almost-certainly-Gandalf that he's Sauron? While watching it I said to my wife "That's BS. I don't buy that for a second. I think it's Halbrand." And then as soon as Halbrand starts talking about how to forge rings? Yeah, done. But it raises the point I was making earlier: the big "YOU ARE SAURON!!!" thing is a pure "vibes" moment set at the start of the episode to serve the TV medium rather than the story. Like "OK, we wanna grab people right out of the gate with this, so let's do a big splashy moment with these weird nitwits who think Sauron is the guy from the cover of Aqualung who just has temporary amnesia." In the moment, it's BIG and IMPACTFUL and HOLY CRAP!! But you get about 5 minutes past it and you're saying "Wait a second...WTF was that?!" It's just a cool moment in isolation but which doesn't fit in effectively with the larger narrative.

Several of the things with Halbrand have been "off." First, the post-battle "Oh man, we really wanna bang each other, don't we?" thing with Galadriel? WTF was that? They never effectively sold that to me. It felt like it came out of left field, and was introduced purely to create a moment of tension later. Like "Oh, right, we need to introduce Chekov's Gun here so we can shoot it there later. Make sure that gets in." It just felt unearned and inserted for meta-narrative reasons. And then Galadriel's turn from making mooney eyes at Halbrand to "I think he's not who he says he is" feels like she's turned on a dime. She's been with this dude the entire time and NOTHING tipped her off? Why now? Why this? Why such a sudden shift to not trusting him? Again, it wasn't effectively handled and just ended up feeling abrupt. I have no idea how Annatar is supposed to fit in to this story, either, given that the timeline is all bolloxed up at this point, and I can't imagine why any elf would trust him showing up now.

3. The show has a serious pacing problem which, oddly, I think is exacerbated by the 8-episode season format. I really think that it needs 10 to be more effectively paced. The opening of the show felt sloooooow, but the ending of the show felt like a whirlwind that didn't end up making as much sense. Having 10 episodes, it would seem, would allow relationships to form in more natural ways, and for plot points to develop more effectively, and wouldn't require you to run your simultaneous storylines at a simultaneous pace that breaks time and space and ends up with characters shoved around so they can be in the right position to have XYZ moment just so you can have XYZ moment.

Honestly, while there's a lot to like about this show, I'm getting serious "final 3-ish seasons of Game of Thrones" vibes from it. Operating on outlines/bullet points only, focusing on "vibes" over your story making internal sense, condensing a ton of complicated stuff to serve the needs of an audience you assume to be morons, etc. It's all there and it makes me think this show is a lot more likely to disappoint.

It's odd. I went into this and House of the Dragon with flipped expectations: I thought HotD would end up being yet more GoT fan service nonsense, run the same way as GoT was towards the end (i.e., badly). I expected RoP to be handled more seriously and carefully, given the involvement of the Tolkien estate. And the end result is the exact opposite: HotD seems to be telling a much better story in a much better way, and RoP is running on vibes and kewl moments. I hope they can turn it around, because as I said, there really is a lot to like about the show, but man...they aren't making me think they'll stick the landing so much as crap the bed.

Honestly, while there's a lot to like about this show, I'm getting serious "final 3-ish seasons of Game of Thrones" vibes from it. Operating on outlines/bullet points only, focusing on "vibes" over your story making internal sense, condensing a ton of complicated stuff to serve the needs of an audience you assume to be morons, etc. It's all there and it makes me think this show is a lot more likely to disappoint.

This sums up my concerns very nicely

Well. I didn't hate it. Which is surprising. Yes they played kinda loosey goosey with the lore. But then again Jackson's films did as well in some places. I mean yeah the Elven rings are forged first (though the appendices aren't clear if they are the last to be forged.) And Annatar isn't Sauron's masquerade. But then again, as soon as someone says their name is Annatar, nearly everyone is going to find out who that was. And that surprise is going to be spoiled.

But I'm actually looking forward to see more seasons. I'm hopeful it can get better as it goes on. Who knows maybe by season 5 we'll all be blown away. Or maybe not.

And then Galadriel's turn from making mooney eyes at Halbrand to "I think he's not who he says he is" feels like she's turned on a dime. She's been with this dude the entire time and NOTHING tipped her off?

Not only that, there was the following scene of him explaining to her that's he's been practically telling her who he is the entire time.

They made these characters complete idiots. You would never realize they've lived as long as they have and experienced as much as they have when the famous 2,000 year old+ elven smith needed an explanation about alloys.

But I'm actually looking forward to see more seasons. I'm hopeful it can get better as it goes on. Who knows maybe by season 5 we'll all be blown away. Or maybe not.

Supposedly season 2 will be out sooner than later so it may be in 2023

And unless anything has changed they have committed to 5 seasons and they already have the final shot planned

Of course Game of Thrones showrunners had a "plan" and knew the final outcome and we know how later seasons of that went

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back