Amazon's Lord of the Rings (tv series)

Well. I didn't hate it. Which is surprising. Yes they played kinda loosey goosey with the lore. But then again Jackson's films did as well in some places. I mean yeah the Elven rings are forged first (though the appendices aren't clear if they are the last to be forged.) And Annatar isn't Sauron's masquerade. But then again, as soon as someone says their name is Annatar, nearly everyone is going to find out who that was. And that surprise is going to be spoiled.

But I'm actually looking forward to see more seasons. I'm hopeful it can get better as it goes on. Who knows maybe by season 5 we'll all be blown away. Or maybe not.
To be clear: I didn't hate it either. If I had, I would've turned it off and put on reruns of DS9 or Buffy or something. I like the show, but it's got some pretty glaring flaws, and I can't say that -- based on what I've seen so far -- I think the show will end up being satisfying. I'll give a Season 2 a chance, but I'm leery of getting too invested in it if only because I sense that they won't know how to stick the landing, and the show will end up being more frustrating than anything else. Meanwhile, I feel a lot more confident about investing in House of the Dragon, if only because the story seems to be being told in an effective way.
Not only that, there was the following scene of him explaining to her that's he's been practically telling her who he is the entire time.

They made these characters complete idiots. You would never realize they've lived as long as they have and experienced as much as they have when the famous 2,000 year old+ elven smith needed an explanation about alloys.

I sort of saw it coming, and they hinted at it here and there, but they also wanted to play Mystery Box games by hinting at maybe it's Not-Gandalf who's Sauron or maybe it's one of the Three Inconsequential Sisters or maybe it's Adar or whatever. Again and again I find myself seeing incidents of the show choosing to create tension and drama for the sake of messing with the audience, more than because it's organic to the narrative, and I've gotten to a point with storytelling in general where I just don't have a lot of patience for that anymore, especially if they also end up crapping the bed on the big reveal.

Shows and films -- not just this one -- spend so much time trying to toy with audiences that they forget how to actually tell a coherent story and create a believable world. It makes sense that Sauron would be hidden, and would be also walking somewhere in the world. That's fine. I have no problem with that. But it feels like the characters should just be allowed to be rather than to serve as ways to say "oooh, maybe Sauron is THIS guy? No, no, maybe it's THAT guy? No, but now you're back to thinking about the first guy, right?" That's just screwing with the audience for the sake of screwing with the audience.

Same story with all the "vibes" moments like the cavalry arriving in thrilling fashion just at the critical moment. It makes sense from a "manipulate and play to the audience" angle, but it makes no sense in terms of "Wait, did they sail thru a friggin' wormhole?! How did they get there so fast?!" And then, whoops, sorry, we don't have any time to deal with these folks because we've run out of time and need to get them 3 rings built fast! What was the point of focusing on, say, the southern pretty lady and her quasi-boyfriend elf dude?

Was this all part of Sauron's plan? Like....really? What exactly was that plan, dude? Lay it out for me, and then tell me how any of it makes a lick of goddamn sense. You can't because it doesn't. BUT, it makes sense if you want to hit certain beats for the audience. We want to touch on these five points, and then everything else in between is just stuff to shuffle the pieces around so they get to those points, even if it doesn't end up holding together in any coherent sense. Or maybe there never really was a plan, and Sauron just kinda....lucked into becoming the Dark Lord, in which case, he suddenly seems a LOT less menacing and powerful.

FemTg8fXEAAofRb.jpeg.jpg

Supposedly season 2 will be out sooner than later so it may be in 2023

Hmmmmm…that’s a bit optimistic I think. Filming of season two started just over two weeks ago, and the show runners said it would be “several years” before we see the finished product.

A lot of random things had to happen for
Was this all part of Sauron's plan? Like....really? What exactly was that plan, dude? Lay it out for me, and then tell me how any of it makes a lick of goddamn sense. You can't because it doesn't. BUT, it makes sense if you want to hit certain beats for the audience. We want to touch on these five points, and then everything else in between is just stuff to shuffle the pieces around so they get to those points, even if it doesn't end up holding together in any coherent sense. Or maybe there never really was a plan, and Sauron just kinda....lucked into becoming the Dark Lord, in which case, he suddenly seems a LOT less menacing and powerful.
A lot of random events took place in order for Sauron to emerge. How could he have possibly planned it all?

I am glad the Sauron reveal is out of the way

Hopefully this opens up the story line to better things instead of playing a shell game of who is who

Yeah, like, I don't give a crap that there are black elves and hobbits. Great! More of that! I don't care that there are brown people in Middle Earth. I'm for that overall.

But basically you either have to interpret Sauron as a guy who got pissed because he was rejected by Galadriel after she pushed him at every step into seizing power, orrrrr you have to consider that he's such a master manipulator that he could've devised a rube goldberg plot that would put him exactly where he is now with an "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it! Mwahahahahaha!" I don't actually think the rube goldberg plot even works, because it also has to take into account what happens in Gorgoroth and the creation of Orodruin. That was planned. That was calculated. Adar turns out to be a better Dark Lord than Sauron himself because Adar can actually get the goddamn job done.

In truth, though, I don't think it's either. I don't think Sauron was conceived of as a master manipulator, nor do I think the show intentionally designed him to be a sad boi edgelord incel who got rejected by a hottie elf and now will vent his choler upon all of Middle Earth.

What I think is...they wanted to craft various moments, and towards that end, they had those fixed moments in place and then connected them by thin strings with "And then..." with nary a care as to whether any of it held together if you stepped back and looked at the whole thing.

And as proof, I offer you: The Three Inconsequential Sisters.

These (presumably) corrupted Maiar show up on Middle Earth and start burninating the countryside, chasing after not-Gandalf, for what reason?

Right. To give Sauron his memory back so he'll go kick ass. Presumably, they arrive because Sauron has forgotten whom he is, and is wandering around as some poor, benighted soul just being a regular joe. Or something. But if they can blow some dust on him and wave a magic wand, he'll regain his memory, go forth, and whip all of Middle Earth's ass into shape. Right? That's the whoooole reason they show up at all, right?

Except it never matters because Sauron already apparently knows who he is. SO WHY ARE THEY THERE? I'll tell you: to look kewl and to have a kewl moment with Not-Gandalf-but-totally-Gandalf. They're there so Not-Gandalf can say a Gandalf line and then turn them into smoke butterflies. And meanwhile, Sauron has his cool, sneering reveal to Galadriel, and then walks into Mordor (apparently someone can, at least) to sneer at his new domain which was totally created by the one guy who could actually get anything done: Adar -- the True Dark Lord.

Why does this happen? Simple. Rule of cool. These are cool moments! Independently of anything else, they'd be totally awesome moments! It's just that they make for lousy anchors to your story because you can't actually connect them together and have them make a lick of sense. They're just...there to be cool. Just like the Dothraki charging into the pitch black night so their torches could wink out of existence. Just like it's such a SHOCK HORROR moment when Jon's dragon gets shot improbably by the weirdo viking and dies because apparently they couldn't see that far ahead and didn't think to FLY HIGHER. Just like Gendry can apparently run aaaaalllll the way back to the wall and get Dany who teleports to rescue Jon who is only dying because his dumb ass wouldn't get on the damn dragon and fly away. It's aaaaalllll just "Rule of cool." These are cool moments, designed to be talked about as cool moments, and they can be connected by wet tissue paper for all it matters to the writers. It doesn't have to make sense, it just has to be cool and give good vibes in the moment.

I think the biggest damage the show has done to Tolkien's legendarium is all the people who are shipping Sauron/Galadriel all over Twitter and TikTok.
Shippers ruin everything and tend to be immoral idiots.

Its fine if its in jest imo but some ships are stupid and/or gross. In the recent anime Spy x Family, some people shipped the adopted father and his 5 year old adopted kid which is gross for an anime that is supposed to be about family and be wholesome af. Nevermind the Reylo shippers which is a clear example of an abusive relationship.

I thought I just read a quote on Reddit, from Tolkien, where he says that Sauron was repentant for a time, after the war?

After the War of Wrath, Sauron approached Eonwë, another Maiar, asking for pardon. But he did it not out of remorse for what he had done as Morgoth's lieutenant, but rather, for self-preservation. He had seen how powerful the host of the Valar was during that battle and how they defeated Morgoth and banished him to the Timeless Void, and he feared that would be his fate too. But Eonwë said he is not the person Sauron should seek forgiveness from, so he told him to return to Valinor and seek an audience with the Valar to pray for forgiveness. Sauron chickened out and disappeared deep in the lands of Middle Earth until about a thousand years later when he figured that the Valar was no longer bothered about Middle Earth.

The exact text from The Silmarillion:
View attachment 1630257
Except that that text doesn't count for purposes of this show, because they didn't get the rights to it.

Now, to be clear, I'm ok with that. I don't need everything to track with the Silmarillion, when I know full well that they can't do that and are stuck with the appendices.

But I think there are two big issues here:

1. The internal narrative seems more built around moments/vibes than actual coherent storytelling.

2. Coherent storytelling would be impossible, given the span of time they're trying to cover and what that would necessarily mean for the characters. You can't have a show that's supposed to span 3000 years with immortal elves, and have humans in the mix as well. But you need humans to keep the show grounded, so it ends up being a catch-22. You can't do a 3000 year tale, even if it also includes incredibly long-lived humans (like, those who live to 500 or whatever). So, everything ends up compacted, and I feel liek the writers stopped caring about connecting A-to-B-to-C, and wound up just going with the cool highlights they want to hit.

Seems like the only people who finished this are those who make review videos on YouTube.

I hope Amazon cancels this PoS. **** 'em.
Believe it or not, they're contractually obliged to create 5 seasons of this show. I feel sorry for the actors who are probably trying to find loopholes in their contract to escape this sinking turd.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back