aliens reebok stompers

Does anyone have a clear image of the shoes worn by Ripley in the film? I also noticed Bishop is wearing a pair in the film as well, but his look closer to the REEBOK product and not as high as the Rip's pair.

As far as we know Bishop were mid-hi identical to the ones sold by Reebok. Who worked on the costumes confirmed the existence of both heights (high for Ripley, mid-high for Bishop) regardless of the fact that I have never seen an image clearly showing Bishop shoes being mid-high (he always has trousers covering them).

Ripley's high shoes, aside from being shown in many pictures from the sets and several screengrabs, they have appeared at the opening of Alien Wars in London... however there are not many pictures of that event, not close-ups anyway.

It would be nice if anyone replicated them as they did for the back to the future nikes

It would be nice if anyone replicated them as they did for the back to the future nikes

Well that is the plan here anyway. I like the future look of hi-tops and want a pair of the ones worn by Ripley - which are different to the ones shown in this promo :facepalm

attachment.php

NIKE did the same with the BTTF MAG as well. Over the years, they released at least 4 shoes inspired by it, and only last year released the MAG as it should have been - and for more than most could afford anyway.

Looking at these, you could not even increase the height of the shoe.

ALIEN WARS is in the UK? It would be cool if someone who lives there could take some decent photos of them.

attachment.php

Looks like I might have to do a frame by frame of the BD because these images are not the best for details.

attachment.php

They were basically handmade at Reebok, even the picture are not in hi definition you can still see the details. The top part is different and you won't be able to modify standard alien stompers shoes without ruining them probably.

In the past I've asked around about the possibility of replicating them but unfortunately the prices I was quoted were far too high.

They were basically handmade at Reebok, even the picture are not in hi definition you can still see the details.

If I can work out W7's "snip tool", I'll be able to grab screenies off the BD. It won't allow me to do the usual "print screen" for BDs.

The top part is different and you won't be able to modify standard alien stompers shoes without ruining them probably.

That is not stopping me with my MAG conversion. I'll add at least an 1" to these puppies [the ones I am wearing in my avatar]. I've already made new higher collars and longer tongues. They'll get a colour change and maybe even some lights :)

In the past I've asked around about the possibility of replicating them but unfortunately the prices I was quoted were far too high.

Yeah, why I am not surprised? Look at the ludicrous price of MAGs on EBAY and that guy that apparently paid $4K for a custom made set well before the 2011 MAG was even made.

The NIKE MAGs seem somewhat easier to replicate since they involve some kind of textile covering them completely, however I've checked out your work and I really like your results. If you're gonna attempt these boots and you need any help let me know: I own both the 80's version of these shoes and the 2011 re-release (the last one I bought because I could not wear the historical ones which are still brand new in the box).
The hardest thing is to find the accurate sole unless you want to reproduce that too. I don't know if you're thinking to do a conversion kit or a scratch build pair

The NIKE MAGs seem somewhat easier to replicate since they involve some kind of textile covering them completely.
Mine won't have that, so any mods I do to mine have to match in. This makes it a bit tricky and requires some planning.

I've checked out your work and I really like your results. If you're gonna attempt these boots and you need any help let me know: I own both the 80's version of these shoes and the 2011 re-release (the last one I bought because I could not wear the historical ones which are still brand new in the box).

Thank you for both the positive feedback and the offer for help. I will certainly keep you in mind. Sorry which boots do you have? I'd be very interested in seeing some high rez images of the original 80's boot.

The hardest thing is to find the accurate sole unless you want to reproduce that too. I don't know if you're thinking to do a conversion kit or a scratch build pair

That sole would be a major project on its own, so no, I'll work around that part. I am interested in watching ALIENS again because when Ripley crawls under the bed in the med lab to comfort Newt, there may be a glimpse of the sole then.

If I do take this on, it will be a build up of other shoes. I am not doing the complete MAG build it because of knowing what I can and can't do.

I have a pair from the 80's which are unused and I just bought a new pair, one of those recently re-released, with fully perforated areas... good to walk around without the fear of ruining a collector's item.
Both are in the grey/red colour combo.

The sole in the movie is identical in shape and colour (if you get the grey/red) to that used in all the marketed versions and yes you can see it in the film when Newt first appears and Ripley follows her into the hatch. The only difference between the marketed shoes and the film shoes is really just the ankle height and the colour... I believe the screen-used shoes were of a lighter shade of grey. Another difference is that the newer release have full-perforated areas, the 80's version only has a few holes on the front... I believe the modification was made in order to make them more beathable (possibly a legal requirement), in fact in the 80's version your feet start sweating as soon as you put them on, literally.

I don't know if the same sole is used in any other Reebok model (I guess it must be).

I have a pair from the 80's which are unused and I just bought a new pair, one of those recently re-released, with fully perforated areas... good to walk around without the fear of ruining a collector's item.
Both are in the grey/red colour combo.

So both pairs are essentially the same mid hi-top?

The sole in the movie is identical in shape and colour (if you get the grey/red) to that used in all the marketed versions and yes you can see it in the film when Newt first appears and Ripley follows her into the hatch. The only difference between the marketed shoes and the film shoes is really just the ankle height and the colour... I believe the screen-used shoes were of a lighter shade of grey. Another difference is that the newer release have full-perforated areas, the 80's version only has a few holes on the front... I believe the modification was made in order to make them more beathable (possibly a legal requirement), in fact in the 80's version your feet start sweating as soon as you put them on, literally.

I don't know if the same sole is used in any other Reebok model (I guess it must be).

I was never a fan of REEBOK but did own a pair of their "THE PUMP" shoes in the early 1990's. Most REEBOK shoes (mainly their hi-tops) are designed with some form of sports in mind and feature things like pivot points and such on the soles. These shoes do not feature any such thing and therefore have been made for the movie - and the sole being in reference to the Xenomorph itself.

I only like Ripley's pair because they are so futuristic and high. I would not shell out for the marketed pair mid hi-tops.

Yes both 80's version and later re-releases (including the newer ones) are the same shoe. The major difference is the perforated area which is much uglier of course but they still look cool and futuristic. The height is identical. Reebok never released any higher version and never will.

I believe the higher part that we see in the film is not very functional and would look bad after some use. In fact you can see in one of the pictures you posted (when Ripley is stepping on alien ground) that the top part collapses and gets deformed while she walks... the material they were made of simply doesn't support such height and this is the practical reason why they don't release them as they were in the movie (at least this is what I think is the reason).
If you think about reproducing them you might want to consider using padded material with some kind of support inside (possibly a hard spine on the back)

Yes both 80's version and later re-releases (including the newer ones) are the same shoe. The major difference is the perforated area which is much uglier of course but they still look cool and futuristic. The height is identical. Reebok never released any higher version and never will.

Well lets change that then :) After the MAGs are done, I say this is a cause worthy of my full attention :cool

I believe the higher part that we see in the film is not very functional and would look bad after some use. In fact you can see in one of the pictures you posted (when Ripley is stepping on alien ground) that the top part collapses and gets deformed while she walks... the material they were made of simply doesn't support such height and this is the practical reason why they don't release them as they were in the movie (at least this is what I think is the reason).

I think you might be right. Looking at both the images, the extended collars look nothing more than vinyl and not very supportive. Of course, a tight fitting shoe that high would be fairly restrictive. I still think they look cool and would like to own a pair some day.

If you think about reproducing them you might want to consider using padded material with some kind of support inside (possibly a hard spine on the back)

Yeah I am liking how the extended collars and new tongues I made for the MAGs are coming along. I've used 3mm EVA foam and vinyl and will line the insides with cloth. I think the foam provides enough padding and rigidity without the need for extra foam or bracing. They seem to be able to stand and hold shape on their own.

There must be some form of flex point at the ankle or the shoe bows like in that image. Hi-tops have never really been "high" and maybe for this reason. In 1990 I bought a pair of NIKE AIR PRESSURE and they had a flex point midway up the back to allow some movement, because once inflated and velcro'd up, they were super tight.

Well lets change that then :) After the MAGs are done, I say this is a cause worthy of my full attention :cool

I think you might be the first to attempt this. As long as they can be made cost-effective then I would say it's definitely worth trying... afterall they do not involve electronics, lights, powerlaces or anything remotely similar.

I think you might be the first to attempt this. As long as they can be made cost-effective then I would say it's definitely worth trying... afterall they do not involve electronics, lights, powerlaces or anything remotely similar.
Cost-effective is really a point of view. Real MAGs are $5k+, so anything less than 50% is cost-effective. These don't have the complexity of the MAGs nor do they require any custom casting (except maybe that sole), so yes heaps easier than the MAGs at this time.

Loaded the BD today with the intention of taking screen captures. Unfortunately, the PC will not allow this. I attempted both print screen and snip tool and both instances, all I got was a black rectangle. There is not that many good views of the shoe anyway. Unlike the NIKE MAG in BTTF II which was almost a co-star for that first 20 minutes, this shoe was just part of a costume and Cameron framed this pretty much from the knee up.

What I did see however was interesting. The double straps are the same colour not one white like on the model and the xeno sole is not used on this shoe. It is a standard sole like those used on their basket ball shoes.

I forgot about that alien design on the sole, I should have specified it sorry. No, the shoes have a normal grey/red sole exactly like in the movie. I don't remember seeing that sole with Giger-inspired design, it must have been some special issue, probably it came with weird colours like blue/white. That image is made with two different posters attached together. I have the first poster (the one on the left in your image). The other one came later, as I said it must have been some special issue of the shoes probably

Like the one seen here

That sole is the same one [just a different colour] I saw today. I was trying to work out what that "Y" shape was at the heel because on screen, it looked a bit like JORDAN's "Jump Man" logo.

That shoe would make a good base shoe. Add the flap that covers the laces, extend the tongue and collar + straps and colour correct, and you'd be at least 90% there.

I would not even know where to begin looking for REEBOK in my area. All the sports shops mostly sell the other brands. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw REEBOK hi-tops on a shelf, much less an 80's classic.

I would not even know where to begin looking for REEBOK in my area. All the sports shops mostly sell the other brands. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw REEBOK hi-tops on a shelf, much less an 80's classic.

In UK they are still in every sports shop

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back